Feature request: more information on ctrl-g

  • Tomasz Muras
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 29, 2011
      Hello!

      What do you think about adding more information about the file when
      ctrl-g is pressed? The one I'd really like is full path to the file.

      Tomasz Muras

    • Tony Mechelynck
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 29, 2011
        On 29/12/11 11:20, Tomasz Muras wrote:
        > Hello!
        >
        > What do you think about adding more information about the file when
        > ctrl-g is pressed? The one I'd really like is full path to the file.
        >
        > Tomasz Muras

        To display the filename with full path (or relative to $HOME shown as ~
        but not relative to the current dir), use a count. Examples from my
        currently running gvim session, with 'ruler' on and 'shortmess' at its
        'nocompatible' default:

        ^G
        "chrome/userChrome.css" 518 lines --58%--

        1^G
        "~/.mozilla/seamonkey/nexrdon9.default/chrome/userChrome.css" 518 lines
        --58%--

        2^G
        buf 5: "~/.mozilla/seamonkey/nexrdon9.default/chrome/userChrome.css" 518
        lines --58%--

        See :help CTRL-G

        Pardo's First Postulate:
        Anything good in life is either illegal, immoral, or
        fattening.

        Arnold's Addendum:
        Everything else causes cancer in rats.

      • Tomasz Muras
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 2, 2012
          On Thu, Dec 29, 2011 at 5:49 PM, Tony Mechelynck
          <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:
          > On 29/12/11 11:20, Tomasz Muras wrote:
          >>
          >> Hello!
          >>
          >> What do you think about adding more information about the file when
          >> ctrl-g is pressed? The one I'd really like is full path to the file.
          >>
          >> Tomasz Muras
          >>

          > To display the filename with full path (or relative to $HOME shown as ~ but
          > not relative to the current dir), use a count. Examples from my currently
          > running gvim session, with 'ruler' on and 'shortmess' at its 'nocompatible'
          > default:
          >
          > ^G
          > "chrome/userChrome.css" 518 lines --58%--
          >
          > 1^G
          > "~/.mozilla/seamonkey/nexrdon9.default/chrome/userChrome.css" 518 lines
          > --58%--
          >
          > 2^G
          > buf 5: "~/.mozilla/seamonkey/nexrdon9.default/chrome/userChrome.css" 518
          > lines --58%--
          >

          > See :help CTRL-G

          Nice one - thank you Tony. I can't think about any other useful
          information that could be added there.

          cheers,
          Tomek