Vim 2012 calendar available

    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 20, 2011
      Hello Vim users,

      The handy Vim desktop calendar is available again!

      http://www.moolenaar.net/#Calendar

      You can print this on one sheet of sturdy paper, fold it and put it on
      your desk. On one side there is a 12 month calendar, on the rear short
      info about ICCF, Vim and Zimbu.

      Direct links:

      English - A4 http://www.moolenaar.net/2012_en_a4.pdf
      English - Letter http://www.moolenaar.net/2012_en_le.pdf
      Dutch - A4 http://www.moolenaar.net/2012_nl_a4.pdf

      Happy holidays!

      PS. Don't forget to do your Amazon orders through:
      http://iccf-holland.org/click1.html

      You received this message from the "vim_announce" maillist.

        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 3, 2012
          On Tue 20 Dec 2011 at 22:18:54 +0100, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
          > Dutch - A4 http://www.moolenaar.net/2012_nl_a4.pdf

          I noticed a mistake in the dutch version: it should be "en vermijdT de
          slechte kanten".

          And a pet peeve: this country is not called Holland, but The Netherlands.

          > Happy holidays!
          Likewise!
          -Olaf.
          --
          ___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert -- There's no point being grown-up if you
          \X/ rhialto/at/xs4all.nl -- can't be childish sometimes. -The 4th Doctor

          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 3, 2012
            Olaf -

            > On Tue 20 Dec 2011 at 22:18:54 +0100, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
            > > Dutch - A4 http://www.moolenaar.net/2012_nl_a4.pdf
            >
            > I noticed a mistake in the dutch version: it should be "en vermijdT de
            > slechte kanten".

            Dat had mijn moeder ook gelijk gezien :-).

            > And a pet peeve: this country is not called Holland, but The Netherlands.

            Only officially. Holland sounds a lot nicer.

            - Bram

            --
            If "R" is Reverse, how come "D" is FORWARD?

          • tux.
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 3, 2012
              Bram Moolenaar schrob am 03.01.2012 22:57:
              > Only officially. Holland sounds a lot nicer.

              Most Dutch people I know call themself "from the Netherlands" instead of
              "from Holland", because it sounds nicer to THEM. :-)

            • Marcin Szamotulski
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 4, 2012
                On 06:45 Wed 04 Jan , tux. wrote:
                > Bram Moolenaar schrob am 03.01.2012 22:57:
                > > Only officially. Holland sounds a lot nicer.
                >
                > Most Dutch people I know call themself "from the Netherlands" instead of
                > "from Holland", because it sounds nicer to THEM. :-)
                >
                > --

                In Polish, if this is of any interest, we say 'Holandia' for The Netherlands.

                Best regards,
                Marcin

              • Niels Horn
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 4, 2012
                  On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 10:11 AM, Marcin Szamotulski <mszamot@...> wrote:
                  > On 06:45 Wed 04 Jan     , tux. wrote:
                  >> Bram Moolenaar schrob am 03.01.2012 22:57:
                  >> > Only officially. Holland sounds a lot nicer.
                  >>
                  >> Most Dutch people I know call themself "from the Netherlands" instead of
                  >> "from Holland", because it sounds nicer to THEM. :-)
                  >>
                  >> --
                  >> You received this message from the "vim_dev" maillist.
                  >
                  > In Polish, if this is of any interest, we say 'Holandia' for The Netherlands.
                  >
                  > Best regards,
                  > Marcin

                  Here in Brazil everybody calls my country of origin "Holanda".
                  If I say "Paises Baixos" (~ Netherlands) most people just look confused...

                  So, maybe technically "Netherlands" is correct, but the large majority
                  of the rest of this planet will always call it "Holland" :)

                  --
                  Niels Horn

                • Rhialto
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 4, 2012
                    On Wed 04 Jan 2012 at 10:42:35 -0200, Niels Horn wrote:
                    > So, maybe technically "Netherlands" is correct, but the large majority
                    > of the rest of this planet will always call it "Holland" :)

                    My personal reason for prefering The Netherlands, or variants of that,
                    is that Holland would refer only to two of the 12 provinces of the
                    country (Noord-Holland and Zuid-Holland or North and South Holland). And
                    I don't live in either of them. It's like calling Great Britain England.

                    Historically the two Hollands are among the most "important" provinces
                    because that's more or less where the impressive people came from when,
                    a few centuries ago, history was written. Zeeland was another one. Most
                    of the rest has a convoluted history of what belonged to who. And of
                    course Holland seems to be easier to pronounce than The Ne Ther Lands :-)

                    -Olaf.

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 4, 2012
                      On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 9:11 PM, Rhialto <rhialto@...> wrote:
                      > On Wed 04 Jan 2012 at 10:42:35 -0200, Niels Horn wrote:
                      >> So, maybe technically "Netherlands" is correct, but the large majority
                      >> of the rest of this planet will always call it "Holland" :)
                      >
                      > My personal reason for prefering The Netherlands, or variants of that,
                      > is that Holland would refer only to two of the 12 provinces of the
                      > country (Noord-Holland and Zuid-Holland or North and South Holland). And
                      > I don't live in either of them. It's like calling Great Britain England.
                      >
                      > Historically the two Hollands are among the most "important" provinces
                      > because that's more or less where the impressive people came from when,
                      > a few centuries ago, history was written. Zeeland was another one. Most
                      > of the rest has a convoluted history of what belonged to who. And of
                      > course Holland seems to be easier to pronounce than The Ne Ther Lands :-)
                      >
                      > -Olaf.
                      > --
                      > ___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert  -- There's no point being grown-up if you
                      > \X/ rhialto/at/xs4all.nl    -- can't be childish sometimes. -The 4th Doctor

                      Being Dutch myself, I know all that, but even the Dutch sing "Hup,
                      Holland, Hup" and never "Hup, Nederland, Hup" when watching a football
                      match...
                      I sort of gave up on explaining the difference between the two years ago. :)

                      --
                      Niels Horn

                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 5, 2012
                        Olaf wrote:

                        > On Wed 04 Jan 2012 at 10:42:35 -0200, Niels Horn wrote:
                        > > So, maybe technically "Netherlands" is correct, but the large majority
                        > > of the rest of this planet will always call it "Holland" :)
                        >
                        > My personal reason for prefering The Netherlands, or variants of that,
                        > is that Holland would refer only to two of the 12 provinces of the
                        > country (Noord-Holland and Zuid-Holland or North and South Holland). And
                        > I don't live in either of them. It's like calling Great Britain England.
                        >
                        > Historically the two Hollands are among the most "important" provinces
                        > because that's more or less where the impressive people came from when,
                        > a few centuries ago, history was written. Zeeland was another one. Most
                        > of the rest has a convoluted history of what belonged to who. And of
                        > course Holland seems to be easier to pronounce than The Ne Ther Lands :-)

                        Wikipedia sums it up quite nicely:

                        Holland is a name in common usage given to a region in the western
                        part of the Netherlands. The term Holland is also frequently used as
                        a pars pro toto to refer to the whole of the Netherlands. This usage
                        is generally accepted but disliked by many Dutch people in the other
                        parts of the Netherlands.

                        It's funny that many people who live in the Netherlands would not deny
                        being a Hollander, even if they do not live in North- or South-Holland.
                        And especially during a soccer match against Germany :-).

                        --
                        Arthur pulls Pin out. The MONK blesses the grenade as ...
                        ARTHUR: (quietly) One, two, five ...

                      • Fan Decheng
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jan 7, 2012
                          On Jan 5, 10:19 pm, Bram Moolenaar <B...@...> wrote:
                          > Olaf wrote:
                          > > On Wed 04 Jan 2012 at 10:42:35 -0200, Niels Horn wrote:
                          > > > So, maybe technically "Netherlands" is correct, but the large majority
                          > > > of the rest of this planet will always call it "Holland" :)
                          >
                          > > My personal reason for prefering The Netherlands, or variants of that,
                          > > is that Holland would refer only to two of the 12 provinces of the
                          > > country (Noord-Holland and Zuid-Holland or North and South Holland). And
                          > > I don't live in either of them. It's like calling Great Britain England.
                          >
                          > > Historically the two Hollands are among the most "important" provinces
                          > > because that's more or less where the impressive people came from when,
                          > > a few centuries ago, history was written. Zeeland was another one. Most
                          > > of the rest has a convoluted history of what belonged to who. And of
                          > > course Holland seems to be easier to pronounce than The Ne Ther Lands :-)
                          >
                          > Wikipedia sums it up quite nicely:
                          >
                          >    Holland is a name in common usage given to a region in the western
                          >    part of the Netherlands. The term Holland is also frequently used as
                          >    a pars pro toto to refer to the whole of the Netherlands. This usage
                          >    is generally accepted but disliked by many Dutch people in the other
                          >    parts of the Netherlands.
                          >
                          > It's funny that many people who live in the Netherlands would not deny
                          > being a Hollander, even if they do not live in North- or South-Holland.
                          > And especially during a soccer match against Germany :-).
                          >
                          > --
                          >    Arthur pulls Pin out.  The MONK blesses the grenade as ...
                          > ARTHUR:  (quietly) One, two, five ...
                          > GALAHAD: Three, sir!
                          > ARTHUR:  Three.
                          >                  "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" PYTHON (MONTY) PICTURES LTD
                          >
                          >  /// Bram Moolenaar -- B...@... --http://www.Moolenaar.net  \\\
                          > ///        sponsor Vim, vote for features --http://www.Vim.org/sponsor/\\\
                          > \\\  an exciting new programming language --http://www.Zimbu.org       ///
                          >  \\\            help me help AIDS victims --http://ICCF-Holland.org   ///

                          Interesting, now I came to know why English text books often call The
                          Netherlands but rarely Holland.

                          Looks like Holland is the upper-left corner of the map of The
                          Netherlands, making me recall the Puget Sound (pronounced like pyudjet
                          sound) and King County in the US, which was on the upper-left of US.
                          Well that was the place of my first visiting abroad and I wondered do
                          they call a lake connected to the sea a "Sound"?

                          :)

                          WBR,
                          Robbie (Decheng) Fan