Re: Bug: Macro not recorded on server for commands sent via client/server protocol

  • Andy Wokula
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 2, 2011
      Am 02.12.2011 15:20, schrieb Mislav Marohnić:
      > On Wednesday, November 30, 2011 10:59:36 AM UTC+1, Mislav Marohnić wrote:
      >>
      >> I'm controlling a macvim instance (the "server") from command-line by
      >> issuing commands via `vim --remote-send` (the "client").
      >>
      >> Everything seems to work except recording macros. For instance, I send
      >> this command: "qa2hrXq"
      >>

      > This hasn't got enough attention. Can anyone please just check on their
      > linux-/windows-compiled vim if they can reproduce it? The issue is that
      > macros don't get recorded if commands are sent over client/server protocol.

      (same here with gVim on win32)

      I'm not sure what the reason is.

      But macro recording is a special case, you can't do it from a mapping
      :map g7 qa1Gq

      or from feedkeys()
      :call feedkeys('qa1Gq')

      (unless 't' is given -- process keys as if typed by the user)
      :call feedkeys('qa1Gq', 't')

      or while recording a macro.
      qbqa...

      I think keys from a remote Vim are processed "as if coming from a mapping"
      (remote_send() even understands key codes etc).

      --
      Andy

    • Mislav Marohnić
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 5, 2011
        Andy, thanks a ton for letting me know about feedkeys(..., 't').

        I've switched my "--remote-send" calls to "--remote-expr" that calls feedkeys() and now macros are properly recorded.

        However I still think it's a bug that "--remote-send" processes input "as if coming from a mapping", as you said Andy. I've managed to work around my problem, but this should definitely be fixed in vim.

      • Ben Fritz
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 5, 2011
          On Dec 5, 8:57 am, Mislav Marohnić <mislav.maroh...@...> wrote:
          > Andy, thanks a ton for letting me know about feedkeys(..., 't').
          >
          > I've switched my "--remote-send" calls to "--remote-expr" that calls
          > feedkeys() and now macros are properly recorded.
          >
          > However I still think it's a bug that "--remote-send" processes input "as
          > if coming from a mapping", as you said Andy. I've managed to work around my
          > problem, but this should definitely be fixed in vim.

          Maybe. But it sounds like it's intentional. As Andy says,

          > I think keys from a remote Vim are processed "as if coming from a mapping"
          > (remote_send() even understands key codes etc).

          IIUC, this means you can send things like:

          <Esc>Ibegin<CR><Esc>A<CR>end<Esc>

          to surround the current line in begin...end in a remote Vim.

          But I've never had reason to try using remote_send for anything, so I
          could be mistaken. The :help for --remote-send seems to support this,
          at least.