Re: Helping Out

  • Taylor Hedberg
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 2011
      I'm not really a Vim dev per se, having only made a few minor
      contributions, but all you need to do to create a patch is to check out
      the latest copy of the code from Mercurial:

      hg clone https://code.google.com/p/vim/

      or if you already have a local copy, then just

      hg pull -u

      to bring it up to date. Then, make whatever changes you have in mind,
      and when you're done,

      hg diff >my_awesome.patch

      will create a patch with your changes. Then just attach the patch to a
      message and send it to this list. Bram will review it, and if it passes
      muster, it will be published on his next "patch day".

      That's about all there is to it. Creating and submitting patches is
      easy; the hard part is the actual coding. :) I recommend using cscope
      and ctags liberally to ease your navigation of a relatively large C
      codebase like Vim's. Without those tools (and Vim itself, of course),
      I'd never be able to find what I'm looking for.
    • Ben Fritz
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 2, 2011
        On Dec 1, 6:16 pm, Taylor Hedberg <tmhedb...@...> wrote:
        > I'm not really a Vim dev per se, having only made a few minor
        > contributions, but all you need to do to create a patch is to check out
        > the latest copy of the code from Mercurial:
        >
        >     hg clonehttps://code.google.com/p/vim/
        >
        > or if you already have a local copy, then just
        >
        >     hg pull -u
        >
        > to bring it up to date. Then, make whatever changes you have in mind,
        > and when you're done,
        >
        >     hg diff >my_awesome.patch
        >
        > will create a patch with your changes. Then just attach the patch to a
        > message and send it to this list. Bram will review it, and if it passes
        > muster, it will be published on his next "patch day".
        >
        > That's about all there is to it. Creating and submitting patches is
        > easy; the hard part is the actual coding. :) I recommend using cscope
        > and ctags liberally to ease your navigation of a relatively large C
        > codebase like Vim's. Without those tools (and Vim itself, of course),
        > I'd never be able to find what I'm looking for.

        Also try the mq extension to Mercurial if you want to keep your
        changes around and easily apply them to the main line until Bram does
        not merge in your changes right away. This also makes it easy to
        update/export/share your changes.