Helping Out

  • Walt Elam
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 2011
      Vim Devs,

      I have been using Vim for some time now and would like to start giving back to it now that I am capable. However, I am a bit lost on how to start helping create patches and bug fixes and the like. Could any of you give me some details on your process of creating patches and how to submit them?

      Thanks,

      -Walt

    • Taylor Hedberg
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 1, 2011
        I'm not really a Vim dev per se, having only made a few minor
        contributions, but all you need to do to create a patch is to check out
        the latest copy of the code from Mercurial:

        hg clone https://code.google.com/p/vim/

        or if you already have a local copy, then just

        hg pull -u

        to bring it up to date. Then, make whatever changes you have in mind,
        and when you're done,

        hg diff >my_awesome.patch

        will create a patch with your changes. Then just attach the patch to a
        message and send it to this list. Bram will review it, and if it passes
        muster, it will be published on his next "patch day".

        That's about all there is to it. Creating and submitting patches is
        easy; the hard part is the actual coding. :) I recommend using cscope
        and ctags liberally to ease your navigation of a relatively large C
        codebase like Vim's. Without those tools (and Vim itself, of course),
        I'd never be able to find what I'm looking for.
      • Ben Fritz
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 2, 2011
          On Dec 1, 6:16 pm, Taylor Hedberg <tmhedb...@...> wrote:
          > I'm not really a Vim dev per se, having only made a few minor
          > contributions, but all you need to do to create a patch is to check out
          > the latest copy of the code from Mercurial:
          >
          >     hg clonehttps://code.google.com/p/vim/
          >
          > or if you already have a local copy, then just
          >
          >     hg pull -u
          >
          > to bring it up to date. Then, make whatever changes you have in mind,
          > and when you're done,
          >
          >     hg diff >my_awesome.patch
          >
          > will create a patch with your changes. Then just attach the patch to a
          > message and send it to this list. Bram will review it, and if it passes
          > muster, it will be published on his next "patch day".
          >
          > That's about all there is to it. Creating and submitting patches is
          > easy; the hard part is the actual coding. :) I recommend using cscope
          > and ctags liberally to ease your navigation of a relatively large C
          > codebase like Vim's. Without those tools (and Vim itself, of course),
          > I'd never be able to find what I'm looking for.

          Also try the mq extension to Mercurial if you want to keep your
          changes around and easily apply them to the main line until Bram does
          not merge in your changes right away. This also makes it easy to
          update/export/share your changes.