Issue 33 in vim: bug report: feedkeys() leaks memory when invoked from a CursorHoldI autocommand

  • vim@googlecode.com
      Owner: ----
      Labels: Type-Defect Priority-Medium

      New issue 33 by Glyph.Lefkowitz: bug report: feedkeys() leaks memory when
      invoked from a CursorHoldI autocommand

      I believe this can be trivially demonstrated by doing:

      :autocmd CursorHoldI * silent execute 'call feedkeys("\<C-r>\<Esc>", "n")'

      hitting "i", and watching memory usage instantly skyrocket. Various other
      permutations also trigger the leak though. The speed of the leak will
      obviously vary with 'updatetime'; for the most immediate effect, set it to
      a very low value. Oddly, feedkeys() in a CursorHold autocommand (i.e. in
      normal mode, not insert mode) does not leak.

      Among other plugins, Conque <https://code.google.com/p/conque/> does this.
      It's a hack, obviously, but until Vim gets real support for some kind of
      async events, it's one of the more portable techniques; notably, it works
      without +clientserver so it can be used in vim in a PTY rather than a GUI.

      I am not including a bugreport.txt because this seems to affect all
      versions of Vim 7.3 that I tried it with, so it does not seem runtime or
      plugin dependent.

      Thanks for your consideration, and thanks for Vim,

      -glyph

    • vim@googlecode.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 30, 2011
        Comment #1 on issue 33 by brammool...@...: bug report: feedkeys()
        leaks memory when invoked from a CursorHoldI autocommand

        I cannot reproduce the problem.

        I tried with the current version 7.3.389 and using valgrind I could not see
        any memory leak.

        What version of Vim are you using? If it's older, please update first.

      • vim@googlecode.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 7, 2012
          Comment #2 on issue 33 by dominiqu...@...: bug report: feedkeys()
          leaks memory when invoked from a CursorHoldI autocommand

          I also tried to reproduce it but I could not.
          I used a low value (2) for 'updatetime'.
          Memory usage of Vim remained constant (no leak).
          I'm using Vim-7.3.470 on Linux x86.

          Can you reproduce this using 'vim -u NONE' with minimal settings?

        • vim@...
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 4, 2014
            Updates:

            Comment #3 on issue 33 by chrisbr...@...: bug report: feedkeys()
            leaks memory when invoked from a CursorHoldI autocommand
            https://code.google.com/p/vim/issues/detail?id=33

            Clausing as invalid, because it is unreproducable and no response for 2
            years. If you can reproduce the issue starting from vim -u NONE -N, feel
            free to open a new bug report.

            issue notifications to this address.