Why was the breakindent patch never applied?

  • Peter Valdemar Mørch
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 25, 2011
      I'd really like to see the breakindent patch in vim. E.g. screenshot:
      http://beta.arcig.cz/~eudoxos/vim7/breakindent1.png The lack of this
      is *the* reason our coding standard has a limit of max. 80 characters
      pr. line.

      Václav Šmilauer posted a patch for this in 2004 that was updated in
      2007. Even newer versions are hosted at
      https://retracile.net/wiki/VimBreakIndent. As far as I know, all
      objections to the patch have been resolved, but the patch still isn't
      in vim. Are there any reasons for this?

      Under "Awaiting updated patches",
      http://code.google.com/p/vim/source/browse/runtime/doc/todo.txt there
      is an "unclassified" entry saying:

      - Patch for 'breakindent' option: repeat indent for wrapped line. (Vaclav
      Smilauer, 2004 Sep 13, fix Oct 31, update 2007 May 30)
      Version for latest MacVim: Tobia Conforto, 2009 Nov 23
      More recent version: https://retracile.net/wiki/VimBreakIndent

      I've just tried
      https://retracile.net/attachment/wiki/2011/08/23/21.30/vim-7.3.285-breakindent.patch
      against today's mercurial and it works fine as far as I can see.

      There was a problem reported in the "Breakindent patch and linebreak"
      thread: https://groups.google.com/group/vim_dev/browse_thread/thread/7741e8f822b26f54/450b30df7ce6310f?hl=en%C7%82b30df7ce6310f,
      and I can confirm that *was* an issue with older versions of the patch
      (e.g. https://retracile.net/attachment/wiki/2009/12/22/16.00/vim-7.2-breakindent.patch
      against vim 7.2), but I could not reproduce the buggy behaviour with
      the newest version against HG head.

      So what is holding this back? What patch update is awaited?

      I'd really love to see this feature in vim. After years of vim use,
      this is the first thing I've missed enough for me to sign up to this
      mailing list! :-)

      Peter

    • Taylor Hedberg
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 25, 2011
        I pretty much agree; one of the main reasons why I always build Vim from
        source rather than using my OS's official Vim package is so that I can
        apply the breakindent patch. It's quite useful.

        In fact, I actually created the 7.3.285 version of the patch that you
        downloaded from Eli Carter's website. There was a change made in Vim's
        official patch 285 that broke the breakindent functionality, and I
        didn't want to leave it by the wayside, so I made an updated version and
        Eli kindly hosted it for me.

        I suspect that the main reason it hasn't been included yet is simply
        that no one has really brought it up in a while. I think the patch is
        quite mature and is very much ready for inclusion in the official
        distribution of Vim. And it's not going to even cause any unexpected
        behavior for users who don't want it, since it's optional functionality
        that is turned off by default.

        I've attached the current version of the patch to this message to make
        it easier for others to discuss and review without having to grab it
        from the Web. I'm willing to fix it up if Bram or anyone else sees a
        problem with the way it's implemented.
      • Peter Valdemar Mørch
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 6, 2011
          Hi Bram,

          I've noticed that there was no response to this... Also this tread on
          pretty much the same topic never got a reply.
          http://groups.google.com/group/vim_dev/browse_thread/thread/767c25699afcff98/18a4b2394146917

          There is a patch. It fixes an item on todo.txt. There are no
          outstanding issues that I'm aware of. However, the patch is not
          accepted and there is no reason as to why. The last comments to this
          patch that I've seen are all that people like the patch. I do too! :-)

          I've seen Bram comment on other threads, but not this one. Further, on
          Nov 30, Bram submitted many commits, several of which were from
          external contributors. 'breakindent' was not one of them.

          Is there any reason for this? Is there some political history here I'm
          not aware of? I'm a little confused. Why is this patch being ignored?

          Peter

        • Christian Brabandt
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 6, 2011
            On Tue, December 6, 2011 9:58 am, Peter Valdemar Mørch wrote:
            > Hi Bram,
            >
            > I've noticed that there was no response to this... Also this tread on
            > pretty much the same topic never got a reply.
            > http://groups.google.com/group/vim_dev/browse_thread/thread/767c25699afcff98/18a4b2394146917
            >
            > There is a patch. It fixes an item on todo.txt. There are no
            > outstanding issues that I'm aware of. However, the patch is not
            > accepted and there is no reason as to why. The last comments to this
            > patch that I've seen are all that people like the patch. I do too! :-)
            >
            > I've seen Bram comment on other threads, but not this one. Further, on
            > Nov 30, Bram submitted many commits, several of which were from
            > external contributors. 'breakindent' was not one of them.
            >
            > Is there any reason for this? Is there some political history here I'm
            > not aware of? I'm a little confused. Why is this patch being ignored?

            I think, within minor versions, Bram concentrates on bug fixing. Most
            of those patches were small enough and they only affect a specific
            feature so their impact on other features is usually small enough.
            (for example concealing, which was introduced with Vim 7.3 introduced
            many bugs that popped out somewhere else, so several patches for
            version 7.3 fixed an issue with concealing).

            New features are introduced with a new major/minor version, I don't
            know if and when Bram considers merging new features into a Vim 8 or
            7.4 Personally I'd also like to see the breakindent or variable
            tabstop patch being included, nevertheless I don't think it is a
            problem to built your own patched version of Vim.

            regards,
            Christian

          • Ingo Karkat
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 6, 2011
              On 06-Dec-2011 12:27, Christian Brabandt wrote:

              > I think, within minor versions, Bram concentrates on bug fixing. [...]

              I think so, too, and it makes a lot of sense.

              > New features are introduced with a new major/minor version, I don't
              > know if and when Bram considers merging new features into a Vim 8 or
              > 7.4 Personally I'd also like to see the breakindent or variable
              > tabstop patch being included, nevertheless I don't think it is a
              > problem to built your own patched version of Vim.

              Many people would be happier if Bram occasionally posted (either on the list, or
              maybe as part of doc/todo.txt or version-next.txt) a kind of roadmap. This would
              both
              - silence these inquiries about popular patches / features and
              - focus the dev community on the right areas.

              -- regards, ingo

            • sc
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 6, 2011
                On Tue, Dec 06, 2011 at 09:58:44AM +0100, Peter Valdemar Mørch wrote:
                > Hi Bram,
                >
                > I've noticed that there was no response to this... Also this tread on
                > pretty much the same topic never got a reply.
                > http://groups.google.com/group/vim_dev/browse_thread/thread/767c25699afcff98/18a4b2394146917
                >
                > There is a patch. It fixes an item on todo.txt. There are no
                > outstanding issues that I'm aware of. However, the patch is not
                > accepted and there is no reason as to why. The last comments to this
                > patch that I've seen are all that people like the patch. I do too! :-)

                an idle question: do you know how to earn the right to vote for
                features?

                a related question: have you done it?

                sc

                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 6, 2011
                  Peter Valdemar Morch wrote:

                  > I've noticed that there was no response to this... Also this tread on
                  > pretty much the same topic never got a reply.
                  > http://groups.google.com/group/vim_dev/browse_thread/thread/767c25699afcff98/18a4b2394146917
                  >
                  > There is a patch. It fixes an item on todo.txt. There are no
                  > outstanding issues that I'm aware of. However, the patch is not
                  > accepted and there is no reason as to why. The last comments to this
                  > patch that I've seen are all that people like the patch. I do too! :-)
                  >
                  > I've seen Bram comment on other threads, but not this one. Further, on
                  > Nov 30, Bram submitted many commits, several of which were from
                  > external contributors. 'breakindent' was not one of them.
                  >
                  > Is there any reason for this? Is there some political history here I'm
                  > not aware of? I'm a little confused. Why is this patch being ignored?

                  There are lots of items in the todo list, I deal with them one by one.
                  Fixing bugs has priority. Especially because new features tend to
                  introduce new bugs.

                  --
                  Marriage isn't a word. It's a sentence.

                • Ben Fritz
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 6, 2011
                    On Dec 6, 12:41 pm, sc <tooth...@...> wrote:

                    > an idle question:  do you know how to earn the right to vote for
                    > features?

                    You buy it, with a contribution to the Kibaale Children's Center.

                    :help sponsor.txt