Re: Gvim on Windows doesn't remember its position and size

  • Дмитрий Франк
    Message 1 of 21 , Nov 6, 2011
      3 ноября 2011 г. 19:58 пользователь Walt Elam <wrelam@...> написал:

      2011/11/3 Дмитрий Франк <dimon.frank@...>

                  :winpos <x-position> <y-position>     "Set the x,y position of the gVim Window when gVim starts
                  :set lines=<integer>                         "Set the number of rows that the gVim window has
                  :set columns=<integer>                    "Set the number of columns that the gVim window has

      i tried to use these variables, but there's anyway some troubles.
      when gvim is opened in my secondary monitor and it is maximized, command ":winpos" returns "-1684 -4".
      When i try to type ":winpos -1684 -4", gvim's window appears at the right place for a very little time (a part of second), and then instantly moves to main monitor, and ":winpos" returns "0 0" then. So, winpos is unfortunately unable to set negative values.

      How can i fix this?

      Ah, I see your problem now. Have you tried setting winpos in the opposite way? Instead of a negative value try using the equivalent positive value. Also, the y axis origin should still be the top of the monitor so I'm not entirely sure how it is returning a negative y-value when issuing :winpos.

      Example: two monitors that are 1680x1050, and you want the position to be equivalent to :winpos -4 -4

      x: 2(1680) + <x-position>
      y: <y-position>

      so try

      :winpos 3356 -4

      Again, I'm very confused about the y-position, having a negative y-position indicates that the GVim menu bar would be slightly off of the screen which doesn't seem useful, especially by only 4 pixels.

      In addition, I just tested this on a single monitor machine and setting the x and y values higher than the resolution successfully put the GVim window off of the screen, so I'm hoping it will essentially "wrap-around" for you.

      Hi.

      Unfortunately, this not helped: setting the x and y values higher than the resolution successfully really put the GVim window off of the screen, but i can't make Gvim put itself on the *left* monitor.
      about -4 -4 : i'm sure this is Windows XP issue. When app is maximized, there's no border shown, and this border is 4 pixels width. I need to test it on Linux machine.

      By the way, you successfully guessed: i have two monitors exactly 1680x1050 :)  and my right monitor is primary, left monitor is secondary. So, i still can't put Gvim window to the *left* monitor, because of (0; 0) point is a left-top corner of right monitor.

      Thanks.

      pic.gif

      It could be very useful if Gvim on Windows remind it too.

    • Дмитрий Франк
      Message 2 of 21 , Nov 13, 2011
        Dear Vim developers, so do you plan to allow negative values for :winpos in future?

        7 ноября 2011 г. 8:42 пользователь Дмитрий Франк <dimon.frank@...> написал:

[...]

      • Christian Brabandt
        Message 3 of 21 , Nov 15, 2011
          On Sun, November 13, 2011 4:43 pm, Дмитрий Франк wrote:
          > Dear Vim developers, so do you plan to allow negative values for :winpos
          > in future?

          Vim doesn't care, whether the values are negative or positive. I can
          successfully use negative values using either the Windows built or the
          GTK built. What Gui are you using? It sounds rather like an issue with
          your gui toolkit.

          regards,
          Christian

        • John Little
          Message 4 of 21 , Nov 15, 2011
            Christian Brabandt said:

            > Vim doesn't care, whether the values are negative or positive. I can
            > successfully use negative values using either the Windows built or the
            > GTK built. What Gui are you using? It sounds rather like an issue with
            > your gui toolkit.

            Er... on my gvim 7.3.353 "Huge version with GTK2-GNOME GUI", negative
            arguments to winpos are coerced to 0, as I would expect from :h
            winpos:

            "The position is adjusted to make the window fit on the screen (if
            possible)."

            I imagine the OP doesn't want this "adjustment".

            Regards, John

          • Christian Brabandt
            Message 5 of 21 , Nov 16, 2011
              On Wed, November 16, 2011 6:37 am, John Little wrote:
              > Christian Brabandt said:
              >
              >> Vim doesn't care, whether the values are negative or positive. I can
              >> successfully use negative values using either the Windows built or the
              >> GTK built. What Gui are you using? It sounds rather like an issue with
              >> your gui toolkit.
              >
              > Er... on my gvim 7.3.353 "Huge version with GTK2-GNOME GUI", negative
              > arguments to winpos are coerced to 0, as I would expect from :h
              > winpos:
              >
              > "The position is adjusted to make the window fit on the screen (if
              > possible)."
              >
              > I imagine the OP doesn't want this "adjustment".

              Seems to depend on your window manager. I don't know, why gnome
              would reset it back to zero. Fluxbox/Openbox don't do it and allow to
              set negative values (and so does Windows).

              All that Vim does is calling gtk_window_move() with the new x and y
              values and the documentation at http://developer.gnome.org/gtk/stable/
              does not mention, that negative values are forbidden. Might be still
              some unwanted effect in the way vim uses the gtk-toolkit.

              regards,
              Christian

            • Дмитрий Франк
              Message 6 of 21 , Nov 17, 2011
                15 ноября 2011 г. 15:05 пользователь Christian Brabandt <cblists@...> написал:
                On Sun, November 13, 2011 4:43 pm, Дмитрий Франк wrote:
                > Dear Vim developers, so do you plan to allow negative values for :winpos
                > in future?

                Vim doesn't care, whether the values are negative or positive. I can
                successfully use negative values using either the Windows built or the
                GTK built. What Gui are you using? It sounds rather like an issue with
                your gui toolkit.

                I use standard Windows explorer.

                regards,
                Christian

              • Christian Brabandt
                Message 7 of 21 , Nov 18, 2011
                  Hi Дмитрий!

                  On Do, 17 Nov 2011, Дмитрий Франк wrote:

                  > 15 ноября 2011 г. 15:05 пользователь Christian Brabandt
                  > <cblists@...>написал:
                  >
                  > > On Sun, November 13, 2011 4:43 pm, Дмитрий Франк wrote:
                  > > > Dear Vim developers, so do you plan to allow negative values for :winpos
                  > > > in future?
                  > >
                  > > Vim doesn't care, whether the values are negative or positive. I can
                  > > successfully use negative values using either the Windows built or the
                  > > GTK built. What Gui are you using? It sounds rather like an issue with
                  > > your gui toolkit.
                  > >

                  > I use standard Windows explorer.

                  Please be more specific. What Windows version, what patch of vim? As I
                  said, I could use negative values on my Windows XP system at work, using
                  Vim 7.3.44 (or whatever the latest built from www.vim.org is).

                  regards,
                  Christian

                • Дмитрий Франк
                  Message 8 of 21 , Nov 29, 2011
                    Sorry that so long.

                    I have been using Gvim 7.3 without any patches, and negative values on it wasn't work. I have installed Gvim from www.vim.org recently, and its behavior is better, but anyway doesn't work as it should work.

                    To make Gvim full-screen in my left monitor, i need to do the following:

                    1) :winpos -1684 -4
                    2) :set lines=67
                    3) :set columns=237

                    1) i do:
                    :winpos -1684 -4
                    Gvim correctly stays on the proper place.

                    2) i do:
                    :set lines=67
                    And then Gvim changes its winpos to 0 0 again!

                    So, it allows to set negative values to :winpos, but setting lines or columns resets winpos.

                  • Jürgen Krämer
                    Message 9 of 21 , Nov 29, 2011
                      Hi,

                      Дмитрий Франк wrote:
                      > Sorry that so long.
                      >
                      > I have been using Gvim 7.3 without any patches, and negative values on it wasn't work. I have installed Gvim from www.vim.org <http://www.vim.org> recently, and its behavior is better, but anyway doesn't work as it should work.
                      >
                      > To make Gvim full-screen in my left monitor, i need to do the following:
                      >
                      > 1) :winpos -1684 -4
                      > 2) :set lines=67
                      > 3) :set columns=237
                      >
                      > 1) i do:
                      > :winpos -1684 -4
                      > Gvim correctly stays on the proper place.
                      >
                      > 2) i do:
                      > :set lines=67
                      > And then Gvim changes its winpos to 0 0 again!

                      Whenever you set the 'lines' or 'columns' option to a new value GVim
                      tries to make sure that all lines and columns are visible on the screen
                      (at least this seems to be the case on Windows).

                      > So, it allows to set negative values to :winpos, but setting lines or columns resets winpos.

                      Just switch the order of your commands

                      1) :set lines=67
                      2) :set columns=237
                      3) :winpos -1684 -4

                      Regards,
                      Jürgen

                    • Дмитрий Франк
                      Message 10 of 21 , Nov 29, 2011
                        Just switch the order of your commands

                         1) :set lines=67
                         2) :set columns=237
                         3) :winpos -1684 -4

                        Regards,
                        Jürgen

                        I tried to do so, but my primary monitor (this is a monitor in which Vim starts) is less than secondary, so, :set lines=67 and columns=237 will actually set less values.
                        Could you please make a way to make Vim not to check if there enough space to show needed lines and columns count?

                        in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.     (Calvin)

                      • Jürgen Krämer
                        Message 11 of 21 , Nov 29, 2011
                          Дмитрий Франк schrieb:

                          > Just switch the order of your commands
                          >
                          > 1) :set lines=67
                          > 2) :set columns=237
                          > 3) :winpos -1684 -4
                          >
                          > Regards,
                          > Jürgen
                          >

                          > I tried to do so, but my primary monitor (this is a monitor in which Vim starts) is less than secondary, so, :set lines=67 and columns=237 will actually set less values.
                          > Could you please make a way to make Vim not to check if there enough space to show needed lines and columns count?

                          I haven't followed the whole thread so please excuse me if you already
                          have said it: Do you want to maximize the window on the monitor (-4 is
                          a typical value for maximized windows on Windows)? If so you might try

                          :winpos -1680 0
                          :simalt ~X

                          where you have to replace the "X" in the second command with the letter
                          that is underlined in the "Maximize" menu item of GVim's system menu
                          (the one in the upper left corner of the title bar).

                          Regards,
                          Jürgen

                        • Дмитрий Франк
                          Message 12 of 21 , Nov 29, 2011
                            2011/11/30 Jürgen Krämer <jottkaerr@...>

                            Дмитрий Франк schrieb:

                            >     Just switch the order of your commands
                            >
                            >      1) :set lines=67
                            >      2) :set columns=237
                            >      3) :winpos -1684 -4
                            >
                            >     Regards,
                            >     Jürgen
                            >

                            > I tried to do so, but my primary monitor (this is a monitor in which Vim starts) is less than secondary, so, :set lines=67 and columns=237 will actually set less values.
                            > Could you please make a way to make Vim not to check if there enough space to show needed lines and columns count?

                            I haven't followed the whole thread so please excuse me if you already
                            have said it: Do you want to maximize the window on the monitor (-4 is
                            a typical value for maximized windows on Windows)? If so you might try

                             :winpos -1680 0
                             :simalt ~X

                            where you have to replace the "X" in the second command with the letter
                            that is underlined in the "Maximize" menu item of GVim's system menu
                            (the one in the upper left corner of the title bar).

                            Regards,
                            Jürgen

                            this could be a great solution if only Windows hadn't been so stupid. Now I'll explain:
                            I use cyrillic Windows, and my combination for maximize window is Alt+Spacebar+Р  (Р is a cyrillic letter).

                            But command :simalt ~Р unfortunately works if only current layout is cyrillic! I mean that i type :simalt ~Р, and current layout is cyrillic, i press enter, and this works. Then i change layout to default english, type :<up>  (previous command appears at command-line), press enter, end, damn, it doesn't work.

                            Maybe is there workaround in Vim to simulate Windows layout change? Or any other workaround?

                            in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.     (Calvin)