Re: Problem with "it" and "at" text objects on nested elements with similar names

  • Tony Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 2, 2011
      On 02/11/11 21:43, James McCoy wrote:
      > On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 4:33 PM, Tony Mechelynck
      > <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:

      >>> This was fixed in patch 7.3.331:
      >>>
      >>> changeset: 3290:4b8c614c1c91
      >>> tag: v7-3-331
      >>> user: Bram Moolenaar<bram@...>
      >>> date: Tue Oct 04 17:00:20 2011 +0200
      >>> files: src/search.c src/version.c
      >>> updated for version 7.3.331
      >>> Problem: "vit" selects wrong text when a tag name starts with the same
      >>> text
      >>> as an outer tag name. (Ben Fritz)
      >>> Solution: Add "\>" to the pattern to check for word boundary.
      >>>
      >>> Cheers,
      >>
      >> Maybe something related was fixed in 7.3.331, but I can reproduce _this_
      >> problem in 7.3.353 (see :version heading at bottom of this post).
      >
      > Ah, you're right. I should've double checked first.
      >
      >> In addition, if I place the cursor on the "text" text, then hit v and
      >> repeatedly it, the visual area extends itself as follows:
      >
      > That seems to be documented at ":help tag-blocks".

      My concern was not that it extended exclusive - inclusive - exclusive
      etc., but that it missed the <list> and </list> tags completely, halting
      on neither side of them.

      A year spent in artificial intelligence is enough to make one believe
      in God.

      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 20, 2011
        Detrith wrote:

        > If I use "vat" with the cursor on <list> it selects the "root" element
        > instead of "list". The same goes for "it".
        > It selects the contents of "root" and not the contents of "list" (as
        > expected). I guess the problem is that the parent element's name is a
        > substring of the child's name.
        >
        > <root>
        > <list>
        > <list-item>
        > </list-item>
        > </list>
        > </root>

        I wonder if a dash inside a tag name is actually valid. In XML perhaps?
        Any other characters that should be considered part of the tag name?

        --
        You're as much use as a condom machine at the Vatican.
        -- Rimmer to Holly in Red Dwarf 'Queeg'

      • Tony Mechelynck
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 20, 2011
          On 21/11/11 00:47, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

          > Detrith wrote:
          >
          >> If I use "vat" with the cursor on<list> it selects the "root" element
          >> instead of "list". The same goes for "it".
          >> It selects the contents of "root" and not the contents of "list" (as
          >> expected). I guess the problem is that the parent element's name is a
          >> substring of the child's name.
          >>
          >> <root>
          >> <list>
          >> <list-item>
          >> </list-item>
          >> </list>
          >> </root>
          >
          > I wonder if a dash inside a tag name is actually valid. In XML perhaps?
          > Any other characters that should be considered part of the tag name?

          For XML 1.1, see items [4] and [4a] at
          http://www.w3.org/TR/xml11/#NT-NameStartChar (any Name may be a tag
          name.) Dashes are allowed, except as the first character.

          Infancy, n.:
          The period of our lives when, according to Wordsworth, "Heaven
          lies about us." The world begins lying about us pretty soon
          afterward.
          -- Ambrose Bierce