Re: Problem with "it" and "at" text objects on nested elements with similar names

  • James McCoy
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 2, 2011
      On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 4:33 PM, Tony Mechelynck
      <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:
      > On 02/11/11 20:12, James McCoy wrote:
      >>
      >> On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 2:32 PM, zrth<detrith@...>  wrote:
      >>>
      >>> Hello,
      >>>
      >>> If I use "vat" with the cursor on<list>  it selects the "root" element
      >>> instead of "list". The same goes for "it".
      >>> It selects the contents of "root" and not the contents of "list" (as
      >>> expected). I guess the problem is that the parent element's name is a
      >>> substring of the child's name.
      >>
      >> This was fixed in patch 7.3.331:
      >>
      >> changeset:   3290:4b8c614c1c91
      >> tag:         v7-3-331
      >> user:        Bram Moolenaar<bram@...>
      >> date:        Tue Oct 04 17:00:20 2011 +0200
      >> files:       src/search.c src/version.c
      >> updated for version 7.3.331
      >> Problem:    "vit" selects wrong text when a tag name starts with the same
      >> text
      >>        as an outer tag name. (Ben Fritz)
      >> Solution:   Add "\>" to the pattern to check for word boundary.
      >>
      >> Cheers,
      >
      > Maybe something related was fixed in 7.3.331, but I can reproduce _this_
      > problem in 7.3.353 (see :version heading at bottom of this post).

      Ah, you're right. I should've double checked first.

      > In addition, if I place the cursor on the "text" text, then hit v and
      > repeatedly it, the visual area extends itself as follows:

      That seems to be documented at ":help tag-blocks".

      --
      James
      GPG Key: 1024D/61326D40 2003-09-02 James McCoy <jamessan@...>

    • Tony Mechelynck
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 2, 2011
        On 02/11/11 21:43, James McCoy wrote:
        > On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 4:33 PM, Tony Mechelynck
        > <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:

        >>> This was fixed in patch 7.3.331:
        >>>
        >>> changeset: 3290:4b8c614c1c91
        >>> tag: v7-3-331
        >>> user: Bram Moolenaar<bram@...>
        >>> date: Tue Oct 04 17:00:20 2011 +0200
        >>> files: src/search.c src/version.c
        >>> updated for version 7.3.331
        >>> Problem: "vit" selects wrong text when a tag name starts with the same
        >>> text
        >>> as an outer tag name. (Ben Fritz)
        >>> Solution: Add "\>" to the pattern to check for word boundary.
        >>>
        >>> Cheers,
        >>
        >> Maybe something related was fixed in 7.3.331, but I can reproduce _this_
        >> problem in 7.3.353 (see :version heading at bottom of this post).
        >
        > Ah, you're right. I should've double checked first.
        >
        >> In addition, if I place the cursor on the "text" text, then hit v and
        >> repeatedly it, the visual area extends itself as follows:
        >
        > That seems to be documented at ":help tag-blocks".

        My concern was not that it extended exclusive - inclusive - exclusive
        etc., but that it missed the <list> and </list> tags completely, halting
        on neither side of them.

        A year spent in artificial intelligence is enough to make one believe
        in God.

        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 20, 2011
          Detrith wrote:

          > If I use "vat" with the cursor on <list> it selects the "root" element
          > instead of "list". The same goes for "it".
          > It selects the contents of "root" and not the contents of "list" (as
          > expected). I guess the problem is that the parent element's name is a
          > substring of the child's name.
          >
          > <root>
          > <list>
          > <list-item>
          > </list-item>
          > </list>
          > </root>

          I wonder if a dash inside a tag name is actually valid. In XML perhaps?
          Any other characters that should be considered part of the tag name?

          --
          You're as much use as a condom machine at the Vatican.
          -- Rimmer to Holly in Red Dwarf 'Queeg'

        • Tony Mechelynck
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 20, 2011
            On 21/11/11 00:47, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

            > Detrith wrote:
            >
            >> If I use "vat" with the cursor on<list> it selects the "root" element
            >> instead of "list". The same goes for "it".
            >> It selects the contents of "root" and not the contents of "list" (as
            >> expected). I guess the problem is that the parent element's name is a
            >> substring of the child's name.
            >>
            >> <root>
            >> <list>
            >> <list-item>
            >> </list-item>
            >> </list>
            >> </root>
            >
            > I wonder if a dash inside a tag name is actually valid. In XML perhaps?
            > Any other characters that should be considered part of the tag name?

            For XML 1.1, see items [4] and [4a] at
            http://www.w3.org/TR/xml11/#NT-NameStartChar (any Name may be a tag
            name.) Dashes are allowed, except as the first character.

            Infancy, n.:
            The period of our lives when, according to Wordsworth, "Heaven
            lies about us." The world begins lying about us pretty soon
            afterward.
            -- Ambrose Bierce