Re: gVim outta the box is a mess

  • Tony Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 28 3:16 PM
      On 28/09/11 22:56, Ben Fritz wrote:

      >> They shouldn't and are certainly not source on my Win XP system.
      >
      > By default, a fresh Vim install on Windows DOES source the
      > vimrc_example.vim.
      >
      > $VIM/_vimrc contains:
      >

      > set nocompatible
      > source $VIMRUNTIME/vimrc_example.vim
      > source $VIMRUNTIME/mswin.vim
      > behave mswin
      >

      > If any user lacks a personal .vimrc/_vimrc, that user's Vim will use
      > $VIM/_vimrc.
      >
      > Most of the things the OP complains about are set in
      > vimrc_example.vim.
      >
      > I agree that backups are annoying and should probably not be on by
      > default for new users, but I disagree about turning off indent,
      > filetype plugins, etc. I think that is certainly a useful default,
      > it's part of what makes Vim able to compete with modern point-and-
      > click editors.

      About the 'backup' option, I recommend

      if has('writebackup')
      set nobackup writebackup
      endif

      Personally I use filetype-plugins but I find most indent plugins a
      little too high-handed for my taste, so my vimrc includes

      runtime vimrc_example.vim
      filetype indent off

      IMHO, most of the settings set by the vimrc_example.vim are useful. The
      few which are not to my liking I override in a way similar to the above.
      OTOH mswin.vim is IMHO an example of what not to do, I wouldn't touch it
      with a ten-foot pole; and instead of ":behave mswin" I tried to find
      something as close as I could manage to the "golden middle" between
      :behave mswin and :behave xterm, as follows:

      set selection=inclusive selectmode=key,mouse
      set mousemodel=popup keymodel=startsel

      Know thyself. If you need help, call the C.I.A.

    • Christian Brabandt
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 28 10:27 PM
        On Wed, September 28, 2011 10:56 pm, Ben Fritz wrote:

        >> They shouldn't and are certainly not source on my Win XP system.
        >
        > By default, a fresh Vim install on Windows DOES source the
        > vimrc_example.vim.

        It does not for me.

        > $VIM/_vimrc contains:

        I don't have a $VIM/_vimrc

        I think, that is what the install.exe file does. I usually don't run this
        file and only extract the whole vim distribution. But the install.exe
        tells you what it does and you can even say, don't create $VIM/_vimrc
        file.

        regards,
        Christian