Setting shiftwidth/expandtab in ftplugin

  • Robin Stocker
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 3, 2011
      Hi there,

      I have a question regarding the implementation of filetype plugins.
      The README.txt for the ftplugin directory states the following:

      > The default filetype plugin files contain settings that 95% of the
      > users will want to use. They do not contain personal preferences,
      > like the value of 'shiftwidth'.

      In the Ruby community, it is a generally agreed convention to always
      indent with two spaces (no tabs). You have to try hard to find real code
      that isn't indented that way.

      So, if 95% or more of the users will have to set shiftwidth=2 and
      expandtab in their personal configuration to use Vim for programming
      Ruby, is that something that belongs in the official ftplugin?

      Is there some kind of guideline for this? I see 5 occurrences of setting
      shiftwidth in my /usr/share/vim/vim73/ftplugin.

      Here's the discussion for the Ruby ftplugin that prompted this question:

      https://github.com/vim-ruby/vim-ruby/pull/48

      Regards,
      Robin Stocker