Re: manpageview rating dive

  • Charles E Campbell Jr
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 1, 2011
      Benjamin R. Haskell wrote:
      > On Wed, 31 Aug 2011, Charles Campbell wrote:
      >

      >> Charles Campbell wrote:
      >>
      >>> Hello!
      >>>
      >>> I recently checked my plugins' ratings:
      >>>
      >>> 08/09/11 script 677/279/10776: Manpageview.vim
      >>> 08/31/11 script -133/1094/10866: Manpageview.vim
      >>>
      >>> This seems like an odd thing -- is this preparation for a general
      >>> bombing of plugins' ratings?
      >>>
      >> I should explain this a bit more. The rating for Manpageview on
      >> August 9, 2011 was 677, with 279 people having rated it, and 10776
      >> having downloaded it.
      >> On August 31, 2011, the rating was -133, 1094 people having rated it,
      >> and 10866 having downloaded it.
      >>
      >> It is odd that Manpageview received -810 in karma when there were only
      >> 90 additional downloaders over that time period. Did irc have a
      >> anti-Chip attack? Is someone testing a bot to destroy multiple
      >> plugins' ratings?
      >>
      > Can't find it currently, but someone mentioned in the not-so-distant
      > past that some search engine(s) grabbed the down-vote URL when crawling
      > www.vim.org. In this case, googling:
      >
      > site:www.vim.org inurl:unfulfilling
      >
      > (where 'unfulfilling' is the 'rating' value for a down-vote) comes up
      > with exactly one result for me:
      >
      > ManPageView - Viewer for manpages, gnu info, perldoc, and php …
      >
      > With the link: (...'s to prevent clicking)
      >
      > http://.../scripts/script.php?script_id=489&rating=unfulfilling
      >
      > And I may have accidentally just downvoted it myself, by hovering over
      > the result (which pops up a preview).
      >
      > Seems like the ratings should only use $_POST (PHP var), but they appear
      > to be using $_GET, too.

      Nice bit of sleuthing! So perhaps the large downvoting is due to bots
      such as google, yahoo, bing, etc., and I suppose Manpageview can expect
      a continuing more-of-the-same.

      Bram: any chance that this situation can be fixed?

      Regards,
      Chip

      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 2, 2011
        Benjamin Haskell wrote:

        > On Wed, 31 Aug 2011, Charles Campbell wrote:
        >
        > > Charles Campbell wrote:
        > >> Hello!
        > >>
        > >> I recently checked my plugins' ratings:
        > >>
        > >> 08/09/11 script 677/279/10776: Manpageview.vim
        > >> 08/31/11 script -133/1094/10866: Manpageview.vim
        > >>
        > >> This seems like an odd thing -- is this preparation for a general
        > >> bombing of plugins' ratings?
        > > I should explain this a bit more. The rating for Manpageview on
        > > August 9, 2011 was 677, with 279 people having rated it, and 10776
        > > having downloaded it.
        > > On August 31, 2011, the rating was -133, 1094 people having rated it,
        > > and 10866 having downloaded it.
        > >
        > > It is odd that Manpageview received -810 in karma when there were only
        > > 90 additional downloaders over that time period. Did irc have a
        > > anti-Chip attack? Is someone testing a bot to destroy multiple
        > > plugins' ratings?
        >
        > Can't find it currently, but someone mentioned in the not-so-distant
        > past that some search engine(s) grabbed the down-vote URL when crawling
        > www.vim.org. In this case, googling:
        >
        > site:www.vim.org inurl:unfulfilling
        >
        > (where 'unfulfilling' is the 'rating' value for a down-vote) comes up
        > with exactly one result for me:
        >
        > ManPageView - Viewer for manpages, gnu info, perldoc, and php …
        >
        > With the link: (...'s to prevent clicking)
        >
        > http://.../scripts/script.php?script_id=489&rating=unfulfilling
        >
        > And I may have accidentally just downvoted it myself, by hovering over
        > the result (which pops up a preview).
        >
        > Seems like the ratings should only use $_POST (PHP var), but they appear
        > to be using $_GET, too.

        Right, the form was using a GET. That's wrong. I changed it to a POST
        now. Please verify the rating still works.

        I found another one on the page where a script delete is confirmed.
        Fixed that too.

        --
        BLACK KNIGHT: I'm invincible!
        ARTHUR: You're a looney.