Re: manpageview rating dive

  • Benjamin R. Haskell
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 1, 2011
      On Wed, 31 Aug 2011, Charles Campbell wrote:

      > Charles Campbell wrote:
      >> Hello!
      >>
      >> I recently checked my plugins' ratings:
      >>
      >> 08/09/11 script 677/279/10776: Manpageview.vim
      >> 08/31/11 script -133/1094/10866: Manpageview.vim
      >>
      >> This seems like an odd thing -- is this preparation for a general
      >> bombing of plugins' ratings?
      > I should explain this a bit more. The rating for Manpageview on
      > August 9, 2011 was 677, with 279 people having rated it, and 10776
      > having downloaded it.
      > On August 31, 2011, the rating was -133, 1094 people having rated it,
      > and 10866 having downloaded it.
      >
      > It is odd that Manpageview received -810 in karma when there were only
      > 90 additional downloaders over that time period. Did irc have a
      > anti-Chip attack? Is someone testing a bot to destroy multiple
      > plugins' ratings?

      Can't find it currently, but someone mentioned in the not-so-distant
      past that some search engine(s) grabbed the down-vote URL when crawling
      www.vim.org. In this case, googling:

      site:www.vim.org inurl:unfulfilling

      (where 'unfulfilling' is the 'rating' value for a down-vote) comes up
      with exactly one result for me:

      ManPageView - Viewer for manpages, gnu info, perldoc, and php …

      With the link: (...'s to prevent clicking)

      http://.../scripts/script.php?script_id=489&rating=unfulfilling

      And I may have accidentally just downvoted it myself, by hovering over
      the result (which pops up a preview).

      Seems like the ratings should only use $_POST (PHP var), but they appear
      to be using $_GET, too.

      --
      Best,
      Ben

    • Charles E Campbell Jr
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 1, 2011
        Benjamin R. Haskell wrote:
        > On Wed, 31 Aug 2011, Charles Campbell wrote:
        >

        >> Charles Campbell wrote:
        >>
        >>> Hello!
        >>>
        >>> I recently checked my plugins' ratings:
        >>>
        >>> 08/09/11 script 677/279/10776: Manpageview.vim
        >>> 08/31/11 script -133/1094/10866: Manpageview.vim
        >>>
        >>> This seems like an odd thing -- is this preparation for a general
        >>> bombing of plugins' ratings?
        >>>
        >> I should explain this a bit more. The rating for Manpageview on
        >> August 9, 2011 was 677, with 279 people having rated it, and 10776
        >> having downloaded it.
        >> On August 31, 2011, the rating was -133, 1094 people having rated it,
        >> and 10866 having downloaded it.
        >>
        >> It is odd that Manpageview received -810 in karma when there were only
        >> 90 additional downloaders over that time period. Did irc have a
        >> anti-Chip attack? Is someone testing a bot to destroy multiple
        >> plugins' ratings?
        >>
        > Can't find it currently, but someone mentioned in the not-so-distant
        > past that some search engine(s) grabbed the down-vote URL when crawling
        > www.vim.org. In this case, googling:
        >
        > site:www.vim.org inurl:unfulfilling
        >
        > (where 'unfulfilling' is the 'rating' value for a down-vote) comes up
        > with exactly one result for me:
        >
        > ManPageView - Viewer for manpages, gnu info, perldoc, and php …
        >
        > With the link: (...'s to prevent clicking)
        >
        > http://.../scripts/script.php?script_id=489&rating=unfulfilling
        >
        > And I may have accidentally just downvoted it myself, by hovering over
        > the result (which pops up a preview).
        >
        > Seems like the ratings should only use $_POST (PHP var), but they appear
        > to be using $_GET, too.

        Nice bit of sleuthing! So perhaps the large downvoting is due to bots
        such as google, yahoo, bing, etc., and I suppose Manpageview can expect
        a continuing more-of-the-same.

        Bram: any chance that this situation can be fixed?

        Regards,
        Chip

        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 2, 2011
          Benjamin Haskell wrote:

          > On Wed, 31 Aug 2011, Charles Campbell wrote:
          >
          > > Charles Campbell wrote:
          > >> Hello!
          > >>
          > >> I recently checked my plugins' ratings:
          > >>
          > >> 08/09/11 script 677/279/10776: Manpageview.vim
          > >> 08/31/11 script -133/1094/10866: Manpageview.vim
          > >>
          > >> This seems like an odd thing -- is this preparation for a general
          > >> bombing of plugins' ratings?
          > > I should explain this a bit more. The rating for Manpageview on
          > > August 9, 2011 was 677, with 279 people having rated it, and 10776
          > > having downloaded it.
          > > On August 31, 2011, the rating was -133, 1094 people having rated it,
          > > and 10866 having downloaded it.
          > >
          > > It is odd that Manpageview received -810 in karma when there were only
          > > 90 additional downloaders over that time period. Did irc have a
          > > anti-Chip attack? Is someone testing a bot to destroy multiple
          > > plugins' ratings?
          >
          > Can't find it currently, but someone mentioned in the not-so-distant
          > past that some search engine(s) grabbed the down-vote URL when crawling
          > www.vim.org. In this case, googling:
          >
          > site:www.vim.org inurl:unfulfilling
          >
          > (where 'unfulfilling' is the 'rating' value for a down-vote) comes up
          > with exactly one result for me:
          >
          > ManPageView - Viewer for manpages, gnu info, perldoc, and php …
          >
          > With the link: (...'s to prevent clicking)
          >
          > http://.../scripts/script.php?script_id=489&rating=unfulfilling
          >
          > And I may have accidentally just downvoted it myself, by hovering over
          > the result (which pops up a preview).
          >
          > Seems like the ratings should only use $_POST (PHP var), but they appear
          > to be using $_GET, too.

          Right, the form was using a GET. That's wrong. I changed it to a POST
          now. Please verify the rating still works.

          I found another one on the page where a script delete is confirmed.
          Fixed that too.

          --
          BLACK KNIGHT: I'm invincible!
          ARTHUR: You're a looney.