Re: manpageview rating dive

  • Tony Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 1, 2011
      On 31/08/11 17:49, Charles Campbell wrote:
      > Charles Campbell wrote:
      >> Hello!
      >>
      >> I recently checked my plugins' ratings:
      >>
      >> 08/09/11 script 677/279/10776: Manpageview.vim
      >> 08/31/11 script -133/1094/10866: Manpageview.vim
      >>
      >> This seems like an odd thing -- is this preparation for a general
      >> bombing of plugins' ratings?
      > I should explain this a bit more. The rating for Manpageview on August
      > 9, 2011 was 677, with 279 people having rated it, and 10776 having
      > downloaded it.
      > On August 31, 2011, the rating was -133, 1094 people having rated it,
      > and 10866 having downloaded it.
      >
      > It is odd that Manpageview received -810 in karma when there were only
      > 90 additional downloaders over that time period. Did irc have a
      > anti-Chip attack? Is someone testing a bot to destroy multiple plugins'
      > ratings?
      >
      > Chip

      I wonder how SourceForge allocates memory for these numbers. It sounds
      like overflow into the sign bit, except that the next bit above 677 is
      1024 (2^10) which is not at a byte or word boundary...

      Only 90 new downloads but as many as 815 new ratings is also a bit weird
      to say the least. And almost all of those negative? Some troll must hate
      Manpageview (and/or you) quite a bit to have gone to the trouble of
      logging in 810 times to give a negative rating.

      167. You have more than 100 websites in your Bookmark.

    • Ingo Karkat
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 1, 2011
        On 01-Sep-2011 17:24, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
        > On 31/08/11 17:49, Charles Campbell wrote:
        >> Charles Campbell wrote:
        >>> Hello!
        >>>
        >>> I recently checked my plugins' ratings:
        >>>
        >>> 08/09/11 script 677/279/10776: Manpageview.vim
        >>> 08/31/11 script -133/1094/10866: Manpageview.vim
        >>>
        >>> This seems like an odd thing -- is this preparation for a general
        >>> bombing of plugins' ratings?
        >> I should explain this a bit more. The rating for Manpageview on August
        >> 9, 2011 was 677, with 279 people having rated it, and 10776 having
        >> downloaded it.
        >> On August 31, 2011, the rating was -133, 1094 people having rated it,
        >> and 10866 having downloaded it.
        >>
        >> It is odd that Manpageview received -810 in karma when there were only
        >> 90 additional downloaders over that time period. Did irc have a
        >> anti-Chip attack? Is someone testing a bot to destroy multiple plugins'
        >> ratings?
        >>
        >> Chip
        >>

        > I wonder how SourceForge allocates memory for these numbers. It sounds like
        > overflow into the sign bit, except that the next bit above 677 is 1024 (2^10)
        > which is not at a byte or word boundary...
        >
        > Only 90 new downloads but as many as 815 new ratings is also a bit
        > weird to say the least. And almost all of those negative? Some troll
        > must hate Manpageview (and/or you) quite a bit to have gone to the
        > trouble of logging in 810 times to give a negative rating.

        I have seen a similar drastic downvote for the SmartCase plugin,
        http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=1359; its rating is -326/355,
        Downloaded by 488, even though it works perfectly well for me.

        My best guess is that some bot did this; either by accident or through human
        evil. In these times, voting probably needs to be protected by captcha, but that
        would just make the feature even less attractive. As long as these are rare
        incidents, stick with the current system, and only move to e.g. an invitation to
        "comment on this script on the linked Vim Tips Wiki page" if it gets worse.

        -- regards, ingo

      • Benjamin R. Haskell
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 1, 2011
          On Wed, 31 Aug 2011, Charles Campbell wrote:

          > Charles Campbell wrote:
          >> Hello!
          >>
          >> I recently checked my plugins' ratings:
          >>
          >> 08/09/11 script 677/279/10776: Manpageview.vim
          >> 08/31/11 script -133/1094/10866: Manpageview.vim
          >>
          >> This seems like an odd thing -- is this preparation for a general
          >> bombing of plugins' ratings?
          > I should explain this a bit more. The rating for Manpageview on
          > August 9, 2011 was 677, with 279 people having rated it, and 10776
          > having downloaded it.
          > On August 31, 2011, the rating was -133, 1094 people having rated it,
          > and 10866 having downloaded it.
          >
          > It is odd that Manpageview received -810 in karma when there were only
          > 90 additional downloaders over that time period. Did irc have a
          > anti-Chip attack? Is someone testing a bot to destroy multiple
          > plugins' ratings?

          Can't find it currently, but someone mentioned in the not-so-distant
          past that some search engine(s) grabbed the down-vote URL when crawling
          www.vim.org. In this case, googling:

          site:www.vim.org inurl:unfulfilling

          (where 'unfulfilling' is the 'rating' value for a down-vote) comes up
          with exactly one result for me:

          ManPageView - Viewer for manpages, gnu info, perldoc, and php …

          With the link: (...'s to prevent clicking)

          http://.../scripts/script.php?script_id=489&rating=unfulfilling

          And I may have accidentally just downvoted it myself, by hovering over
          the result (which pops up a preview).

          Seems like the ratings should only use $_POST (PHP var), but they appear
          to be using $_GET, too.

          --
          Best,
          Ben

        • Charles E Campbell Jr
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 1, 2011
            Benjamin R. Haskell wrote:
            > On Wed, 31 Aug 2011, Charles Campbell wrote:
            >

            >> Charles Campbell wrote:
            >>
            >>> Hello!
            >>>
            >>> I recently checked my plugins' ratings:
            >>>
            >>> 08/09/11 script 677/279/10776: Manpageview.vim
            >>> 08/31/11 script -133/1094/10866: Manpageview.vim
            >>>
            >>> This seems like an odd thing -- is this preparation for a general
            >>> bombing of plugins' ratings?
            >>>
            >> I should explain this a bit more. The rating for Manpageview on
            >> August 9, 2011 was 677, with 279 people having rated it, and 10776
            >> having downloaded it.
            >> On August 31, 2011, the rating was -133, 1094 people having rated it,
            >> and 10866 having downloaded it.
            >>
            >> It is odd that Manpageview received -810 in karma when there were only
            >> 90 additional downloaders over that time period. Did irc have a
            >> anti-Chip attack? Is someone testing a bot to destroy multiple
            >> plugins' ratings?
            >>
            > Can't find it currently, but someone mentioned in the not-so-distant
            > past that some search engine(s) grabbed the down-vote URL when crawling
            > www.vim.org. In this case, googling:
            >
            > site:www.vim.org inurl:unfulfilling
            >
            > (where 'unfulfilling' is the 'rating' value for a down-vote) comes up
            > with exactly one result for me:
            >
            > ManPageView - Viewer for manpages, gnu info, perldoc, and php …
            >
            > With the link: (...'s to prevent clicking)
            >
            > http://.../scripts/script.php?script_id=489&rating=unfulfilling
            >
            > And I may have accidentally just downvoted it myself, by hovering over
            > the result (which pops up a preview).
            >
            > Seems like the ratings should only use $_POST (PHP var), but they appear
            > to be using $_GET, too.

            Nice bit of sleuthing! So perhaps the large downvoting is due to bots
            such as google, yahoo, bing, etc., and I suppose Manpageview can expect
            a continuing more-of-the-same.

            Bram: any chance that this situation can be fixed?

            Regards,
            Chip

            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 2, 2011
              Benjamin Haskell wrote:

              > On Wed, 31 Aug 2011, Charles Campbell wrote:
              >
              > > Charles Campbell wrote:
              > >> Hello!
              > >>
              > >> I recently checked my plugins' ratings:
              > >>
              > >> 08/09/11 script 677/279/10776: Manpageview.vim
              > >> 08/31/11 script -133/1094/10866: Manpageview.vim
              > >>
              > >> This seems like an odd thing -- is this preparation for a general
              > >> bombing of plugins' ratings?
              > > I should explain this a bit more. The rating for Manpageview on
              > > August 9, 2011 was 677, with 279 people having rated it, and 10776
              > > having downloaded it.
              > > On August 31, 2011, the rating was -133, 1094 people having rated it,
              > > and 10866 having downloaded it.
              > >
              > > It is odd that Manpageview received -810 in karma when there were only
              > > 90 additional downloaders over that time period. Did irc have a
              > > anti-Chip attack? Is someone testing a bot to destroy multiple
              > > plugins' ratings?
              >
              > Can't find it currently, but someone mentioned in the not-so-distant
              > past that some search engine(s) grabbed the down-vote URL when crawling
              > www.vim.org. In this case, googling:
              >
              > site:www.vim.org inurl:unfulfilling
              >
              > (where 'unfulfilling' is the 'rating' value for a down-vote) comes up
              > with exactly one result for me:
              >
              > ManPageView - Viewer for manpages, gnu info, perldoc, and php …
              >
              > With the link: (...'s to prevent clicking)
              >
              > http://.../scripts/script.php?script_id=489&rating=unfulfilling
              >
              > And I may have accidentally just downvoted it myself, by hovering over
              > the result (which pops up a preview).
              >
              > Seems like the ratings should only use $_POST (PHP var), but they appear
              > to be using $_GET, too.

              Right, the form was using a GET. That's wrong. I changed it to a POST
              now. Please verify the rating still works.

              I found another one on the page where a script delete is confirmed.
              Fixed that too.

              --
              BLACK KNIGHT: I'm invincible!
              ARTHUR: You're a looney.