Indent R code

  • Jakson Alves de Aquino
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 30, 2011
      Hi Bram,

      My Vim-R-plugin (#2628) includes a script to indent R code. I improved
      the script on February, 2011 and since then only one bug was reported
      (and fixed). So I believe that the script is mature enough to be
      considered for inclusion in Vim runtime directory.

      One remaining problem of the script is that it is slow. The
      indentation algorithm sometimes slowly goes backwards looking for an
      opening parenthesis or brace or for the beginning of a "for", "if" or
      "while" statement. This is necessary because the indentation level of
      a given line depends on the indentation level of the previous one, but
      the previous line is not always the line above. It's the line where
      the statement immediately above started.

      The indent/r.vim script is attached. I also attached a patch to doc/indent.txt.

      Best regards,

      Jakson Aquino

      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 2, 2011
        Jakson Alves de Aquino wrote:

        > My Vim-R-plugin (#2628) includes a script to indent R code. I improved
        > the script on February, 2011 and since then only one bug was reported
        > (and fixed). So I believe that the script is mature enough to be
        > considered for inclusion in Vim runtime directory.
        >
        > One remaining problem of the script is that it is slow. The
        > indentation algorithm sometimes slowly goes backwards looking for an
        > opening parenthesis or brace or for the beginning of a "for", "if" or
        > "while" statement. This is necessary because the indentation level of
        > a given line depends on the indentation level of the previous one, but
        > the previous line is not always the line above. It's the line where
        > the statement immediately above started.
        >
        > The indent/r.vim script is attached. I also attached a patch to
        > doc/indent.txt.

        Thanks, I'll include it.

        If you make improvements, please send me the updated file.

        --
        BLACK KNIGHT: None shall pass.
        ARTHUR: I have no quarrel with you, brave Sir knight, but I must cross

      • Jakson Alves de Aquino
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 2, 2011
          On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 7:57 AM, Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> wrote:
          > Jakson Alves de Aquino wrote:
          >
          >> My Vim-R-plugin (#2628) includes a script to indent R code. I improved
          >> the script on February, 2011 and since then only one bug was reported
          >> (and fixed). So I believe that the script is mature enough to be
          >> considered for inclusion in Vim runtime directory.
          [...]
          > Thanks, I'll include it.
          >
          > If you make improvements, please send me the updated file.

          Thanks! I'll send updates to you.

          Best regards,

          Jakson Aquino