Re: Graphical bug with Lucida Console

  • Ben Fritz
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 30, 2011
      On Aug 29, 10:22 am, "MacDonald, Stuart"
      <stuart.macdon...@...> wrote:
      > On Windows 7 64-bit:
      >
      > C:\> gvim -u NONE -U NONE -N
      > a<tab>C<esc>
      > 0cw<spaces><esc>u
      >
      > Looks good so far.
      >
      > :highlight Normal font=lucida_console<enter>
      > 0cw<spaces><esc>u
      >
      > There are lots of small yellow garbage bits left on the screen. (See
      > attached.) They are cleared with <ctrl>l.
      >
      > :highlight Normal font=Fixedsys<enter>
      > 0cw<spaces><esc>u
      >
      > And back to correct operation. Switching between the two fonts
      > reproduces the bug, so it looks like it's a problem with Lucida Console.

      I don't get it in strange colors, but I regularly get leftover garbage
      like that in the correct Normal fg color in my gvim in Windows XP. I
      think I first noticed it back in 7.1 or 7.2, it's been around for a
      while. It may not be the same issue, but other people have complained
      in the past about it. I've never found a reliable way to reproduce it.

      I do not use the font tag in highlight rules, but rather just set my
      guifont. Maybe that contributes to why mine acts differently.

      I use DejaVu Sans Mono most of the time, and occasionally Consolas, so
      I doubt it's only Lucida Console.

    • Leonardo Valeri Manera
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 30, 2011
        On 30 August 2011 20:29, Ben Fritz <fritzophrenic@...> wrote:

        > On Aug 29, 10:22 am, "MacDonald, Stuart"
        > <stuart.macdon...@...> wrote:
        > > On Windows 7 64-bit:
        > >
        > > C:\> gvim -u NONE -U NONE -N
        > > a<tab>C<esc>
        > > 0cw<spaces><esc>u
        > >
        > > Looks good so far.
        > >
        > > :highlight Normal font=lucida_console<enter>
        > > 0cw<spaces><esc>u
        > >
        > > There are lots of small yellow garbage bits left on the screen. (See
        > > attached.) They are cleared with <ctrl>l.
        > >
        > > :highlight Normal font=Fixedsys<enter>
        > > 0cw<spaces><esc>u
        > >
        > > And back to correct operation. Switching between the two fonts
        > > reproduces the bug, so it looks like it's a problem with Lucida Console.
        > >

        > I don't get it in strange colors, but I regularly get leftover garbage
        > like that in the correct Normal fg color in my gvim in Windows XP. I
        > think I first noticed it back in 7.1 or 7.2, it's been around for a
        > while. It may not be the same issue, but other people have complained
        > in the past about it. I've never found a reliable way to reproduce it.
        >
        > I do not use the font tag in highlight rules, but rather just set my
        > guifont. Maybe that contributes to why mine acts differently.
        >
        > I use DejaVu Sans Mono most of the time, and occasionally Consolas, so
        > I doubt it's only Lucida Console.

        Consolas here, I often have 1/2 px of garbage between each line,
        depending on colorscheme.

        In my current colorscheme, I only get it in the line numbers column,
        but its there allright.

        Leo

      • Charles Campbell
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 30, 2011
          Leonardo Valeri Manera wrote:
          > On 30 August 2011 20:29, Ben Fritz<fritzophrenic@...> wrote:
          >

          >> On Aug 29, 10:22 am, "MacDonald, Stuart"
          >> <stuart.macdon...@...> wrote:
          >>
          >>> On Windows 7 64-bit:
          >>>
          >>> C:\> gvim -u NONE -U NONE -N
          >>> a<tab>C<esc>
          >>> 0cw<spaces><esc>u
          >>>
          >>> Looks good so far.
          >>>
          >>> :highlight Normal font=lucida_console<enter>
          >>> 0cw<spaces><esc>u
          >>>
          >>> There are lots of small yellow garbage bits left on the screen. (See
          >>> attached.) They are cleared with<ctrl>l.
          >>>
          >>> :highlight Normal font=Fixedsys<enter>
          >>> 0cw<spaces><esc>u
          >>>
          >>> And back to correct operation. Switching between the two fonts
          >>> reproduces the bug, so it looks like it's a problem with Lucida Console.
          >>>

          >> I don't get it in strange colors, but I regularly get leftover garbage
          >> like that in the correct Normal fg color in my gvim in Windows XP. I
          >> think I first noticed it back in 7.1 or 7.2, it's been around for a
          >> while. It may not be the same issue, but other people have complained
          >> in the past about it. I've never found a reliable way to reproduce it.
          >>
          >> I do not use the font tag in highlight rules, but rather just set my
          >> guifont. Maybe that contributes to why mine acts differently.
          >>
          >> I use DejaVu Sans Mono most of the time, and occasionally Consolas, so
          >> I doubt it's only Lucida Console.
          >>
          > Consolas here, I often have 1/2 px of garbage between each line,
          > depending on colorscheme.
          >
          > In my current colorscheme, I only get it in the line numbers column,
          > but its there allright.

          I occasionally get leftover pixels, too; I use Linux and Luxi Mono 10.
          So it doesn't just appear to be a windows issue. A ctrl-L usually
          clears it up. Sad to say, I don't know how to reproduce it, either.

          Regards,
          Chip Campbell

        • MacDonald, Stuart
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 30, 2011
            From: On Behalf Of Ben Fritz
            > On Aug 29, 10:22 am, "MacDonald, Stuart"
            > <stuart.macdon...@...> wrote:
            > > On Windows 7 64-bit:
            > >
            > > C:\> gvim -u NONE -U NONE -N
            > > a<tab>C<esc>
            > > 0cw<spaces><esc>u
            > >
            > > Looks good so far.
            > >
            > > :highlight Normal font=lucida_console<enter>
            > > 0cw<spaces><esc>u
            > >
            > > There are lots of small yellow garbage bits left on the screen. (See
            > > attached.) They are cleared with <ctrl>l.
            > >
            > > :highlight Normal font=Fixedsys<enter>
            > > 0cw<spaces><esc>u
            > >
            > > And back to correct operation. Switching between the two fonts
            > > reproduces the bug, so it looks like it's a problem with Lucida
            > Console.
            >
            > I don't get it in strange colors, but I regularly get leftover garbage
            > like that in the correct Normal fg color in my gvim in Windows XP. I

            I've never had screen garbage before (vims 6.something and up, WinXP
            and Win7), which is why I tracked this one down to a reproducible test
            case.

            > think I first noticed it back in 7.1 or 7.2, it's been around for a

            I'm not going to test older versions unless there is a specific
            request to do so.

            > while. It may not be the same issue, but other people have complained
            > in the past about it. I've never found a reliable way to reproduce it.

            My test case works reliably for me; perhaps others can have a try and
            report their success/failure? I'm wondering if it's vim's drawing or
            Windows, and, which particular Windows perhaps...

            > I do not use the font tag in highlight rules, but rather just set my
            > guifont. Maybe that contributes to why mine acts differently.

            My test case also shows garbage if I use
            :set guifont=lucida_console
            instead of the highlight command. I'd guess it's not specific to the
            method of choosing the font.

            > I use DejaVu Sans Mono most of the time, and occasionally Consolas, so
            > I doubt it's only Lucida Console.

            I don't have DejaVu Sans Mono, but Consolas does _not_ reproduce if I
            use it instead of Lucida Console in my test case.

            ...Stu