Re: Integers on 64-bit Vim: how many bits?

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 29, 2011
      Tony Mechelynck wrote:

      > According to :help Number, a Number variable is a 32-bit signed integer.
      > No mention of anything else.

      It should be "32 or 64". I'll fix that.

      > According to :help limits, a Number variable can have an absolute value
      > larger than 2^31 (i.e. 2 * 1024^3) on 64-bit systems.

      As Sergey mentioned, it depends on the sizeof(int). On 64 bit systems
      that can still be 32.

      Both for portability and for saving bytes Vim uses int for numbers.
      Also supporting a 64 bit number type makes things complicated. And
      there are a few compilers that don't support them.

      [...]

      --
      CART DRIVER: Bring out your dead!
      LARGE MAN: Here's one!