Re: [patch] move to next error

  • Ben Schmidt
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 3, 2011
      On 3/08/11 6:30 AM, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
      > Christian Brabandt wrote:
      >
      >> this patch fixes this issue from the todo list:
      >>

      >> ,----
      >> | 8 Add a command to jump to the next character highlighted with
      >> | "Error".
      >> `----
      >>
      >> It implements the [e and ]e movement commands, which move to the
      >> previous or next error. And while I was at it, I also made [t ]t move to
      >> the previous/next item that is highlighted with TODO highlighting.
      >
      > Thanks, I'll put it on the todo list.
      >
      > We are running out of command characters, taking two more from the ] and
      > [ list makes me wonder how many users will use them. Perhaps we should
      > have one "move to highlight" command with an argument to specify what
      > kind of highlighting? That would be more future safe.

      I think something more future-proof and flexible would be better, too.

      Maybe it needs to be an Ex command that a user can map if desired to
      access in normal mode.

      Ben.

      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 4, 2011
        Charles Campbell wrote:

        > Christian Brabandt wrote:
        > > Hi Bram!

        > >> Thanks, I'll put it on the todo list.
        > >>
        > >> We are running out of command characters, taking two more from the ] and
        > >> [ list makes me wonder how many users will use them. Perhaps we should
        > >> have one "move to highlight" command with an argument to specify what
        > >> kind of highlighting? That would be more future safe.
        > >>
        > > Like what? Something like ]h plus a char, that identifies the
        > > highlighting?
        > >
        > What about [h and ]h, which would move to the next/previous instance of
        > the highlighting group specified in a new vim option; as a suggestion,
        > jumphlgroup . This would be instead of [t and ]t, and could be used
        > instead of [e and]e, too, I suppose.

        That sounds like a good idea. The option can be set depending on the
        language, by a filetype plugin. It can be a list of highlight groups, so
        that you can tell where ]h and [h stop. You could also make a mapping
        that sets the option and then does the ]h, to jump to specific
        highlights.

        --
        CONCORDE: Quickly, sir, come this way!
        LAUNCELOT: No! It's not right for my idiom. I must escape more ... more ...

      • Christian Brabandt
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 7, 2011
          Hi Bram!

          On Do, 04 Aug 2011, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

          > > What about [h and ]h, which would move to the next/previous instance of
          > > the highlighting group specified in a new vim option; as a suggestion,
          > > jumphlgroup . This would be instead of [t and ]t, and could be used
          > > instead of [e and]e, too, I suppose.
          >
          > That sounds like a good idea. The option can be set depending on the
          > language, by a filetype plugin. It can be a list of highlight groups, so
          > that you can tell where ]h and [h stop. You could also make a mapping
          > that sets the option and then does the ]h, to jump to specific
          > highlights.

          Here we go an updated patch.

          The comments should explain how it works. I intentionally commented out
          some parts of it. You may enable, if you like it. (basically, how moving
          backwards works).

          One thing, I still haven't looked at how to add moving to parts that are
          highlighted because of the match() functions.

          regards,
          Christian
          --
          Demnächst sollen auch die ersten Landesmeisterschaften im
          Beamtendreikampf ausgerichtet werden: Knicken, Lochen, Abheften.

          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 8, 2011
            Christian Brabandt wrote:

            > Hi Bram!
            >
            > On Do, 04 Aug 2011, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
            >
            > > > What about [h and ]h, which would move to the next/previous instance of
            > > > the highlighting group specified in a new vim option; as a suggestion,
            > > > jumphlgroup . This would be instead of [t and ]t, and could be used
            > > > instead of [e and]e, too, I suppose.
            > >
            > > That sounds like a good idea. The option can be set depending on the
            > > language, by a filetype plugin. It can be a list of highlight groups, so
            > > that you can tell where ]h and [h stop. You could also make a mapping
            > > that sets the option and then does the ]h, to jump to specific
            > > highlights.
            >
            > Here we go an updated patch.
            >
            > The comments should explain how it works. I intentionally commented out
            > some parts of it. You may enable, if you like it. (basically, how moving
            > backwards works).
            >
            > One thing, I still haven't looked at how to add moving to parts that are
            > highlighted because of the match() functions.

            Thanks for making an updated patch. A few obvious mistakes:

            > + *'jumphlgroup'* *'jhl'* *'nojumphlgroup'* *'nojhl'*
            > +'joinspaces' 'js' string (Vim default "Error", Vi default "")

            "joinspaces" is misplaced.

            > + /*
            > + * "[e" and "]e": move to previous or next error highlight
            > + * "[t" and "]t": move to previous or next TODO highlight
            > + */

            Still the old command names.

            > + * Move to next syntax error.

            "syntax highlight gorup". Doesn't have to be an error.

            There are a lot of new lines. I hope you didn't use copy/paste for
            them.

            --
            In Africa some of the native tribes have a custom of beating the ground
            with clubs and uttering spine chilling cries. Anthropologists call

          • Christian Brabandt
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 9, 2011
              Hi Bram!

              Here is an updated patch, that should work with match() functions and
              includes a test. It is using the next_search_hl() function to find
              matches from the matchlist (and I had to make this function non-static
              in order to use it). Unfortunately, this does not seem to work well with
              multiline patterns (so it will always jump to the first line of a
              multiline pattern).

              On Mo, 08 Aug 2011, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
              > Thanks for making an updated patch. A few obvious mistakes:
              >
              > > + *'jumphlgroup'* *'jhl'* *'nojumphlgroup'* *'nojhl'*
              > > +'joinspaces' 'js' string (Vim default "Error", Vi default "")
              >
              > "joinspaces" is misplaced.

              Copy Paste error. 'jumphlgroup' was meant. Not sure what you meant with
              misplaced, it should be aligned like all other options.

              > > + /*
              > > + * "[e" and "]e": move to previous or next error highlight
              > > + * "[t" and "]t": move to previous or next TODO highlight
              > > + */
              >
              > Still the old command names.

              Removed.

              > > + * Move to next syntax error.
              >
              > "syntax highlight gorup". Doesn't have to be an error.

              Fixed.

              > There are a lot of new lines. I hope you didn't use copy/paste for
              > them.

              Yeah, making a new option introduced a lot of new lines. I tried to keep
              it as simple as possible. I am surprised, it got that big, since it
              started as a rather small patch.

              regards,
              Christian

            • Christian Brabandt
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 18, 2011
                Hi Bram,

                attached is an updated patch, that should now also compile for small
                versions (I included some missing #ifdef):

                regards,
                Christian