Re: Clarification of U command

  • Benjamin Fritz
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 2, 2011
      On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 3:30 PM, Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> wrote:

      > Ben Fritz -
      >> Change:
      >>
      >> U Undo all latest changes on one line. {Vi: while not
      >> moved off of it}
      >>
      >> to:
      >>

      >> U                     Undo all changes on the most recently modified line
      >>                       until just after a different line was changed or editing
      >>                       started on this line. If no changes since the last U
      >>                       command, undo the last U.  {Vi: only when cursor has not
      >>                       moved off last modified line}
      >>

      > Thanks for the hint that this was unclear.  The text must have been
      > there forever.  How about this:
      >
      > U                       Undo all latest changes on one line, the line where
      >                        the latest change was made. |U| itself also counts as
      >                        a change, and thus |U| undoes a previous |U|.
      >                        {Vi: while not moved off of the last modified line}

      Much better, but "latest changes" is still not well-defined. Consider:

      line 1: one two three
      line 2: a b c

      Put cursor on "two" and daw, then move to line 2 and delete the b with
      x. Then go back to line 1 and insert some text.

      Previously, I believed for some reason that pressing U on line 1 would
      revert to "one two three". I now understand that pressing U anywhere
      will revert line 1 to "one three".

      Maybe add text like, '"Latest changes" refers to changes not
      interrupted by changes to other lines.' This could come afterward if
      needed, in the longer text which explains details of the interaction
      between u, CTRL-R, and U.