Fix for pty issues on Mac OS X

  • Björn Winckler
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 28, 2011
      Hi,

      The attached patch fixes a problem where Vim would freeze when executing an external command. This problem occurs on Mac OS X 10.7 when using the zsh shell, but only in GUI mode (calling ":echo system('ls')" twice caused Vim to freeze).

      Briefly, the freeze occurred because waitpid() would always return 0 when waiting for the forked child to exit. This was caused by the O_NOCTTY being included in the open() call to the pty master, but not to the slave.

      It seems that other BSD based OSs may also be affected by this problem, but so far I've only ever heard of this problem occurring on the very specific combination of OS X 10.7/zsh/gvim. Hence this patch is only for Mac OS X at the moment, but perhaps it should be expanded to include other OSs? I'm no expert on this issues which is why I'm phrasing that as a question.

      Björn