Re: [BUG] `verbose set sw?' is not working in help buffer

  • ZyX
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 25, 2011
      Reply to message «Re: [BUG] `verbose set sw?' is not working in help buffer»,
      sent 04:12:57 26 June 2011, Sunday
      by Bram Moolenaar:

      > In help files the option values are set to sane values. Option values
      > set in the program don't have a verbose location.
      If I set 'sw' to 100 it will remain set to 100 in a help buffer. It does not
      look like a `sane' value. And it is not a value defined by Vim itself, so it is
      a bug.

      > > vim --noplugin -u <(<<< "set sw=3D4") -c 'help :abc'
      > >
      > > If you type `:set sw?' at this point you will be shown just its value,
      > > but if you type `<C-w>j:set sw?' you will see something like
      > >
      > > shiftwidth=4
      > >
      > > Last set from /proc/4285/fd/11
      > >
      > > Same for some other options:
      > [...]
      >
      > In help files the option values are set to sane values. Option values
      > set in the program don't have a verbose location.
    • Ben Schmidt
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 26, 2011
        On 26/06/11 11:15 AM, ZyX wrote:
        > Reply to message «Re: [BUG] `verbose set sw?' is not working in help buffer»,
        > sent 04:12:57 26 June 2011, Sunday
        > by Bram Moolenaar:
        >
        >> In help files the option values are set to sane values. Option values
        >> set in the program don't have a verbose location.
        > If I set 'sw' to 100 it will remain set to 100 in a help buffer. It does not
        > look like a `sane' value. And it is not a value defined by Vim itself, so it is
        > a bug.

        The local option is set from the global option, not from a file, so has
        no verbose location.

        :verbose setglobal sw?

        will show you whence the global option was set.

        I wouldn't call it a bug.

        But it could be a helpful enhancement to, when setting a local option
        from a global option, also set the verbose location.

        Ben.