Re: [?] echoe acts like an exception inside :catch and :finally blocks

  • Ben Schmidt
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 2, 2011
      On 3/06/11 9:45 AM, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
      > On 02/06/11 23:27, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
      >> ZyX wrote:
      >>
      >>> Is this expected:
      >>> try
      >>> throw 'Throw'
      >>> catch
      >>> echoe 'Echoe'
      >>> echom 'Echom'
      >>> endtry
      >>> will show only 'Echoe', but not 'Echom'? I though that «When used
      >>> inside a try conditional» refers only to the first section of
      >>> `:try...' block, not to `:catch' or `:finally' sections.
      >>
      >> This indeed looks wrong.
      >>

      > :echoerr generates an error (which, inside a try block, is handled as an
      > exception). Depending on where the error happens, it may cause an abort of
      > whatever it is that it is wrapped in.
      >
      > In the present case, the "Echoe" exception is not caught, so it will
      > propagate outside the try block we see here, to be caught by an
      > outside try block if any, or if there isn't, it may (I suppose)
      > propagate as an error, causing an abort of some script or function
      > around this try block.

      Vimscripts do not normally terminate on errors, and that is the problem
      here; it does, when it shouldn't. There is no mapping to terminate, no
      function, no surrounding try/catch block into which to propagate the
      error. It should just be ignored and the script continue, just as if you
      issued the echoe followed the the echom on the commandline.

      Ben.