Re: vim 7.3: A few problems with patches

  • Tony Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 2 4:22 PM
      On 02/06/11 16:13, Birger J. Nordřlum wrote:
      > Yes, I'm aware. I see you are too :)
      >
      > IMHO, Google Code is perhaps a bit to old and none social for my
      > likings. But I guess Mercurial and a stream of commits is better than
      > none. Not used to the way the Vim source is handled there. Where the
      > "patches" are applied when they are released, rather than being pushen
      > when they occur. Making it much easier to follow development.
      >
      > So, your remark regarding DVCS, might not be fully true in this case.
      > Because it's not used to develop on, just push already existing patches.
      > Which from my point of view, is not using the full potentials of DVCS.
      >
      > Just my two cents.

      The "Vim way" is that Bram has to approve anything that makes it into
      the "official" distribution. He probably has a "private" repository
      where he builds his patches, maybe with the help of the mq extension,
      and whence, after checking them, he pushes them to the "public"
      repository which is the only one we see, and where everyone has read
      access, but AFAIK only Bram has write access.

      A comparatively small project like Vim doesn't need anything more
      complicated. If you want to contribute fixes, you don't "hg push", you
      send a patch (possibly created by "hg diff" or "hg export"), which Bram
      may (or may not) decide to apply, then, perhaps after testing and even
      amending, to commit (on his private repo) and publish (by pushing to the
      public repo). The case is enormously different in a big project like
      e.g. Mozilla, where the sources for the various applications are held in
      a family of interwoven Mercurial repositories with a huge lot of code
      between them, and where quite a number of developers may push unrelated
      changesets almost simultaneously with no knowledge of each other's work.

      -- Dave Parnas