Re: vim 7.3: A few problems with patches

  • sc
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 2 11:06 AM
      On Wednesday, June 01, 2011 13:07:02 Tony Mechelynck wrote:

      > Or, are your logs up-to-date? If (after cd to your Vim
      > repository) you do

      > hg -v log -l 10

      > these changesets (if you have them) should appear near the top
      > of the list.

      indeed they do -- i see many updates that way that don't
      appear in my update log

      i guess my update (pull) needs a verbosity option

      thanx

      sc

    • Tony Mechelynck
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 2 4:22 PM
        On 02/06/11 16:13, Birger J. Nordřlum wrote:
        > Yes, I'm aware. I see you are too :)
        >
        > IMHO, Google Code is perhaps a bit to old and none social for my
        > likings. But I guess Mercurial and a stream of commits is better than
        > none. Not used to the way the Vim source is handled there. Where the
        > "patches" are applied when they are released, rather than being pushen
        > when they occur. Making it much easier to follow development.
        >
        > So, your remark regarding DVCS, might not be fully true in this case.
        > Because it's not used to develop on, just push already existing patches.
        > Which from my point of view, is not using the full potentials of DVCS.
        >
        > Just my two cents.

        The "Vim way" is that Bram has to approve anything that makes it into
        the "official" distribution. He probably has a "private" repository
        where he builds his patches, maybe with the help of the mq extension,
        and whence, after checking them, he pushes them to the "public"
        repository which is the only one we see, and where everyone has read
        access, but AFAIK only Bram has write access.

        A comparatively small project like Vim doesn't need anything more
        complicated. If you want to contribute fixes, you don't "hg push", you
        send a patch (possibly created by "hg diff" or "hg export"), which Bram
        may (or may not) decide to apply, then, perhaps after testing and even
        amending, to commit (on his private repo) and publish (by pushing to the
        public repo). The case is enormously different in a big project like
        e.g. Mozilla, where the sources for the various applications are held in
        a family of interwoven Mercurial repositories with a huge lot of code
        between them, and where quite a number of developers may push unrelated
        changesets almost simultaneously with no knowledge of each other's work.

        -- Dave Parnas