Re: vim 7.3: A few problems with patches

    Message 1 of 12 , May 26, 2011
      John McGowan wrote:

      > I am getting errors in patching vim 7.3.
      >
      > 1: I keep an original copy of the source code and apply all
      > the patches each time. If there is a problem with a
      > patch, I have the original source and can patch up to
      > but not including the problematic patch.
      >
      > 2: I had sent you a note about a problem with patch 7.3.050
      > in Fedora Core 12. That patch uses 'the --as-needed linker option'
      > I did not want simply not to install it as that might throw
      > off lines and so I changed it to look for
      > if $CC -Wl,--help 2>/dev/null | grep "seorenxderernn783434xeor" > /dev/null; then
      > instead of
      > if $CC -Wl,--help 2>/dev/null | grep as-needed > /dev/null; then
      > (and similar code where it appears)
      > so that it would not find "seorenxderernn783434xeor" and would
      > use the old linker.
      >
      > 3: I patch with --verbose and capture the output and then grep
      > through it looking for 'Hunk' to check that each hunk worked
      > without problem.
      >

      > Patching the original source for 7.3 gives the following errors:
      >
      > [FAILures as well as those which required OFFSETs to patch files:]
      >
      > PROBLEMS WITH PATCHES:
      > 7.3.191 [offsets only]
      > 7.3.196 [offsets only]
      > 7.3.202 [fuzz, offsets and failure]
      > 7.3.203 [failure only]
      >
      > TWO FAILures:
      >
      > Patch 7.3.202: Modification of indent.txt
      > Patch 7.3.203: Modification of os_win32.txt

      The failures happen because the runtime files are committed to the
      mercurial repository. For a while I had been making docs patches
      against the original 7.3 runtime files, but the differences became so
      big that the patches are hard to remove from what didn't need to be
      included.

      I'm not sure what would be a convenient way to solve this. Making
      patches for the runtime files would be the correct thing perhaps?
      Can't fix what is already broken though.

      --
      Two percent of zero is almost nothing.

    • Patrick Texier
      Message 2 of 12 , May 27, 2011
        On Thu, 26 May 2011 22:19:48 +0200, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

        > I'm not sure what would be a convenient way to solve this. Making
        > patches for the runtime files would be the correct thing perhaps?
        > Can't fix what is already broken though.

        Can you update runtime/doc on <ftp://ftp.vim.org>?
        --
        Patrick Texier

      • Ivan Krasilnikov
        Message 3 of 12 , May 28, 2011
          On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 00:19, Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> wrote:
          > I'm not sure what would be a convenient way to solve this.  Making
          > patches for the runtime files would be the correct thing perhaps?
          > Can't fix what is already broken though.

          Why not abandon patches altogether? Maintaining sources with modern
          version control systems is superior in every way.

          Message 4 of 12 , May 28, 2011
            Patrick Texier wrote:

            > On Thu, 26 May 2011 22:19:48 +0200, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
            >
            > > I'm not sure what would be a convenient way to solve this. Making
            > > patches for the runtime files would be the correct thing perhaps?
            > > Can't fix what is already broken though.
            >
            > Can you update runtime/doc on <ftp://ftp.vim.org>?

            Right, I haven't done that in a long time. It's running now.

            119. You are reading a book and look for the scroll bar to get to
            the next page.

          • Birger J. Nordølum
            Message 5 of 12 , May 28, 2011
              I second this motion!

              I'm fairly certain that a lot of people would appreciate you come over at Github, and initiate in the social coding :) A lot of scripts are already hoster over at Github as well.

              Ontopic: I were unable to apply the patches from the FTP server. It stopped at 202.

            • sc
              Message 6 of 12 , May 29, 2011
                On Saturday, May 28, 2011 22:03:43 Birger J. Nordølum wrote:

                > Ontopic: I were unable to apply the patches from the FTP
                > server. It stopped at 202.

                the the :version after you build with what you got, or maybe
                peek in src/version.c

                patch 202 was the last one to get tagged in hg, but 206 was
                the last actual one in there

                sc

              • Tony Mechelynck
                Message 7 of 12 , May 30, 2011
                  On 30/05/11 02:16, sc wrote:
                  > On Saturday, May 28, 2011 22:03:43 Birger J. Nordølum wrote:
                  >
                  >> Ontopic: I were unable to apply the patches from the FTP
                  >> server. It stopped at 202.
                  >
                  > the the :version after you build with what you got, or maybe
                  > peek in src/version.c
                  >
                  > patch 202 was the last one to get tagged in hg, but 206 was
                  > the last actual one in there
                  >
                  > sc

                  changeset 46544d3ae7ec dated Wed May 25 21:18:06 2011 +0200 by Bram
                  Moolenaar <bram@...> has the tag v7-3-206, added by the next
                  changeset (e9538cfd0d9c).

                  The most recent changesets for "runtime files only", not included in the
                  "patches", were the following:

                  c6a3b063e147 (Thu May 19 13:44:07 2011 +0200, between v7-3-191 and
                  v7-3-192): Updated message translations. (files: src/po/*.po)
                  c869ff170ddc (Thu May 19 12:22:51 2011 +0200, between v7-3-190 and
                  v7-3-191): Updated runtime files. (files: runtime/doc/change.txt
                  runtime/doc/eval.txt runtime/doc/intro.txt runtime/doc/options.txt
                  runtime/doc/quickfix.txt runtime/doc/todo.txt runtime/filetype.vim
                  runtime/syntax/dnsmasq.vim runtime/syntax/dot.vim
                  runtime/syntax/gnash.vim runtime/syntax/ocaml.vim runtime/syntax/pfmain.vim)

                  100. The most exciting sporting events you noticed during summer 1996
                  was Netscape vs. Microsoft.

                • Ben Fritz
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 31, 2011
                    On May 28, 10:03 pm, Birger J. Nordølum <birge...@...> wrote:
                    > I second this motion!
                    >
                    > I'm fairly certain that a lot of people would appreciate you come over at
                    > Github, and initiate in the social coding :) A lot of scripts are already
                    > hoster over at Github as well.

                    Are you aware Vim is now developed using Mercurial on code.google.com?
                    There is also a git mirror somewhere. No need to convince Bram to move
                    to a DVCS, he's already done so.

                  • Tony Mechelynck
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 1, 2011
                      On 01/06/11 19:40, sc wrote:
                      > On Monday, May 30, 2011 03:35:34 you wrote:

                      >>> the the :version after you build with what you got, or maybe
                      >>> peek in src/version.c
                      >>>
                      >>> patch 202 was the last one to get tagged in hg, but 206 was
                      >>> the last actual one in there
                      >>>
                      >>> sc
                      >
                      >> changeset 46544d3ae7ec dated Wed May 25 21:18:06 2011 +0200 by
                      >> Bram Moolenaar<bram@...> has the tag v7-3-206, added by
                      >> the next changeset (e9538cfd0d9c).
                      >
                      > i have neither of those changeset ids in any of my logs, and
                      > no such tag in hg -- yet my hg insists there are "no changes
                      > found" -- and what i build reports a version of 7.3.206
                      >
                      > curious
                      >
                      > sc

                      What do you see if you try making a new clone (besides your existing
                      one, not immediately replacing it)?

                      Or, are your logs up-to-date? If (after cd to your Vim repository) you do

                      hg -v log -l 10

                      these changesets (if you have them) should appear near the top of the list.

                      Try to find the real tense of the report you are reading: Was it done,
                      is it being done, or is something to be done? Reports are now written
                      in four tenses: past tense, present tense, future tense, and
                      pretense. Watch for novel uses of CONGRAM (CONtractor GRAMmer),
                      defined by the imperfect past, the insufficient present, and the
                      absolutely perfect future.
                      -- Amrom Katz

                    • Birger J. Nordølum
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 2, 2011
                        Yes, I'm aware. I see you are too :)

                        IMHO, Google Code is perhaps a bit to old and none social for my likings. But I guess Mercurial and a stream of commits is better than none. Not used to the way the Vim source is handled there. Where the "patches" are applied when they are released, rather than being pushen when they occur. Making it much easier to follow development.

                        So, your remark regarding DVCS, might not be fully true in this case. Because it's not used to develop on, just push already existing patches. Which from my point of view, is not using the full potentials of DVCS.

                        Just my two cents.

                      • sc
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jun 2, 2011
                          On Wednesday, June 01, 2011 13:07:02 Tony Mechelynck wrote:

                          > Or, are your logs up-to-date? If (after cd to your Vim
                          > repository) you do

                          > hg -v log -l 10

                          > these changesets (if you have them) should appear near the top
                          > of the list.

                          indeed they do -- i see many updates that way that don't
                          appear in my update log

                          i guess my update (pull) needs a verbosity option

                          thanx

                          sc

                        • Tony Mechelynck
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jun 2, 2011
                            On 02/06/11 16:13, Birger J. Nordřlum wrote:
                            > Yes, I'm aware. I see you are too :)
                            >
                            > IMHO, Google Code is perhaps a bit to old and none social for my
                            > likings. But I guess Mercurial and a stream of commits is better than
                            > none. Not used to the way the Vim source is handled there. Where the
                            > "patches" are applied when they are released, rather than being pushen
                            > when they occur. Making it much easier to follow development.
                            >
                            > So, your remark regarding DVCS, might not be fully true in this case.
                            > Because it's not used to develop on, just push already existing patches.
                            > Which from my point of view, is not using the full potentials of DVCS.
                            >
                            > Just my two cents.

                            The "Vim way" is that Bram has to approve anything that makes it into
                            the "official" distribution. He probably has a "private" repository
                            where he builds his patches, maybe with the help of the mq extension,
                            and whence, after checking them, he pushes them to the "public"
                            repository which is the only one we see, and where everyone has read
                            access, but AFAIK only Bram has write access.

                            A comparatively small project like Vim doesn't need anything more
                            complicated. If you want to contribute fixes, you don't "hg push", you
                            send a patch (possibly created by "hg diff" or "hg export"), which Bram
                            may (or may not) decide to apply, then, perhaps after testing and even
                            amending, to commit (on his private repo) and publish (by pushing to the
                            public repo). The case is enormously different in a big project like
                            e.g. Mozilla, where the sources for the various applications are held in
                            a family of interwoven Mercurial repositories with a huge lot of code
                            between them, and where quite a number of developers may push unrelated
                            changesets almost simultaneously with no knowledge of each other's work.

                            -- Dave Parnas