Re: Infinite loop in awk indentation

  • Jakson A. Aquino
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1, 2011
      On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 8:53 PM, Philipp Edelmann <edelmann@...> wrote:
      > Additionally, I think that strings and computed regexps should not be
      > scanned for matching braces at all when it comes to determining the
      > indentation. I changed the Get_brace_balance function to strip "..." and
      > /.../ while taking into account escape characters. I am novice in
      > writing Vim script and I'd be glad if somebody found a more elegant way
      > of doing this but at least it seems to give proper indentation now.

      The indent/awk.vim was my starting point to develop the indent/r.vim.
      R and awk languages have some similarities and part of the code of
      r.vim may now be useful for awk.vim. You may want to look at
      indent/r.vim (but the code has very few comments explaining what is
      being done). The indent/r.vim is part of the Vim-R-plugin:

      Best,

      Jakson

      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 2, 2011
        Philipp Edelmann wrote:

        > Dear Vim developers,
        >
        > I noticed certain cases which cause Vim's indentation for awk to go into
        > an infinite loop. The problem appears when there is a negative brace
        > balance, i.e. more closing braces than opening braces. This can easily
        > happen if one uses a regexp to match a closing brace. Vim then moves
        > upward through the file to find the corresponding opening brace, which
        > does not exist. The loop is missing a break condition for the case that
        > line 0 has been reached. I added it in my patch.
        >
        > You see for yourself by opening the attached demo.awk and inserting a
        > line below "match".
        >
        > Additionally, I think that strings and computed regexps should not be
        > scanned for matching braces at all when it comes to determining the
        > indentation. I changed the Get_brace_balance function to strip "..." and
        > /.../ while taking into account escape characters. I am novice in
        > writing Vim script and I'd be glad if somebody found a more elegant way
        > of doing this but at least it seems to give proper indentation now.
        >
        > The attached patch should apply to the current version of indent/awk.vim.

        Have you tried contacting the author, Erik Janssen?

        --
        A village. Sound of chanting of Latin canon, punctuated by short, sharp
        cracks. It comes nearer. We see it is a line of MONKS ala SEVENTH SEAL

      • Philipp Edelmann
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 2, 2011
          Dear Bram,

          On Sat, Apr 02, 2011 at 03:10:46PM +0200, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
          > Have you tried contacting the author, Erik Janssen?

          No, I haven't. The history in the file shows only two entries back in
          2002 and the repository shows no activity since the initial commit in
          2004, so I figured there is no active development going on and I could
          just as well submit the bug fix directly. If you think it's more
          appropriate, I can contact him and ask for his advice.

          Cheers,
          Philipp
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 2, 2011
            Philipp Edelmann wrote:

            > On Sat, Apr 02, 2011 at 03:10:46PM +0200, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
            > > Have you tried contacting the author, Erik Janssen?
            >
            > No, I haven't. The history in the file shows only two entries back in
            > 2002 and the repository shows no activity since the initial commit in
            > 2004, so I figured there is no active development going on and I could
            > just as well submit the bug fix directly. If you think it's more
            > appropriate, I can contact him and ask for his advice.

            Yes, always contact the original author or current maintainer.
            If there is no response we can think of other solutions.

            --
            BEDEVERE: Wait. Wait ... tell me, what also floats on water?
            ALL: Bread? No, no, no. Apples .... gravy ... very small rocks ...

          • Philipp Edelmann
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 5, 2011
              Dear Bram,

              On Sat, Apr 02, 2011 at 06:25:17PM +0200, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
              > Yes, always contact the original author or current maintainer.
              > If there is no response we can think of other solutions.

              Erik just replied to me. In the next couple of days he is going to send
              you a fixed version along some patches that accumulated over the years.

              Cheers,
              Philipp