Re: Supporting more key modifiers

  • Philippe Vaucher
    Message 1 of 112 , Mar 7, 2011
      > What we can do is extend the existing modifier byte sequence.  This is a
      > bit tricky, but it should work.  So we add a new byte sequence with the
      > raw key encoded, plus modifiers.  Thus for CTRL-[ you get the [ key with
      > the CTRL modifier.

      Would this proposal allow us to map Tab, Ctrl-I, Ctrl-Shift-I, Alt+d,
      Escape d, and é all independantly? I don't know what possibilities
      extending the existing modifier byte sequence allows.

      Philippe

    • Paul "LeoNerd" Evans
      Message 112 of 112 , Nov 6, 2014
        On Tue, 21 Oct 2014 20:49:40 +0200
        Christian Brabandt <cblists@...> wrote:

        > > In theory, yes. In practice, last time I looked xterm didn't do it
        > > quite right yet.
        > >
        > > The setting is called modifyOtherKeys but the problem with is was
        > > that it either modifies too little (leaving such pairs as Ctrl-a and
        > > Ctrl-Shift-A indistinct), or modifies too much (using CSI u encoding
        > > for a plain Ctrl-c keypress, thus meaning termios doesn't recognise
        > > it and send a SIGTERM). I have re-raised this with Thomas just now;
        > > I'll see if we can get to a point where it's just in the middle, and
        > > therefore right.
        >
        > So what would be the preferred way to actually see those keys?
        > Installing pangoterm?

        pangoterm, or continue prodding at xterm until it does the right
        thing :)

        Or provoke your preferred terminal's author into fixing it.

        More consensus among terminals => better.

        --
        Paul "LeoNerd" Evans

        leonerd@...
        http://www.leonerd.org.uk/ | https://metacpan.org/author/PEVANS