Preprocessor sanity error

  • Atilla Filiz
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2011
      Hi
      With a fresh clone from the repository, I have this problem on Pardus Linux and couldn't find any config.log:

      src $ make
      Makefile:297: auto/config.mk: No such file or directory
      Makefile:2135: warning: overriding recipe for target `/'
      Makefile:2132: warning: ignoring old recipe for target `/'
      Makefile:2141: warning: overriding recipe for target `/g'
      Makefile:2138: warning: ignoring old recipe for target `/g'
      Makefile:2147: warning: overriding recipe for target `/r'
      Makefile:2144: warning: ignoring old recipe for target `/r'
      Makefile:2153: warning: overriding recipe for target `/rg'
      Makefile:2150: warning: ignoring old recipe for target `/rg'
      Makefile:2165: warning: overriding recipe for target `/e'
      Makefile:2162: warning: ignoring old recipe for target `/e'
      GUI_INC_LOC="" GUI_LIB_LOC="" \
              CC="" CPPFLAGS="" CFLAGS="" \
              LDFLAGS=""  srcdir="" \
              ./configure    \
                  \
                 \
                 \
                 \
                 \
                  \
                 \
                \

      configure: creating cache auto/config.cache
      checking for gcc... gcc
      checking for suffix of executables...
      checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
      checking how to run the C preprocessor... /lib/cpp
      configure: error: in `/home/filiza/hek/vim/src':
      configure: error: C preprocessor "/lib/cpp" fails sanity check
      See `config.log' for more details.
      make: *** [auto/config.mk] Error 1

       src $ gcc --version
      gcc (Pardus Linux) 4.5.2

      What might be wrong?
      --
      Atilla Filiz

    • Benjamin R. Haskell
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1, 2011
        On Tue, 1 Mar 2011, Atilla Filiz wrote:

        > Hi
        > With a fresh clone from the repository, I have this problem on Pardus Linux and couldn't find any config.log:
        > src $ make
        > [...]
        > checking how to run the C preprocessor... /lib/cpp
        > configure: error: in `/home/filiza/hek/vim/src':
        > configure: error: C preprocessor "/lib/cpp" fails sanity check
        > See `config.log' for more details.

        config.log will be in /home/filiza/hek/vim/src/auto (based on the above
        messages).

        >  src $ gcc --version
        > gcc (Pardus Linux) 4.5.2

        If the log doesn't reveal what's wrong, what does `/lib/cpp --version`
        give you? configure's apparently picking that up from somewhere. Maybe
        it doesn't match your gcc.

        --
        Best,
        Ben

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 1, 2011
          Atilla Filiz wrote:

          > Hi
          > With a fresh clone from the repository, I have this problem on Pardus Linux
          > and couldn't find any config.log:
          >
          > src $ make
          > Makefile:297: auto/config.mk: No such file or directory
          > Makefile:2135: warning: overriding recipe for target `/'
          > Makefile:2132: warning: ignoring old recipe for target `/'
          > Makefile:2141: warning: overriding recipe for target `/g'
          > Makefile:2138: warning: ignoring old recipe for target `/g'
          > Makefile:2147: warning: overriding recipe for target `/r'
          > Makefile:2144: warning: ignoring old recipe for target `/r'
          > Makefile:2153: warning: overriding recipe for target `/rg'
          > Makefile:2150: warning: ignoring old recipe for target `/rg'
          > Makefile:2165: warning: overriding recipe for target `/e'
          > Makefile:2162: warning: ignoring old recipe for target `/e'

          This happens because you run make in the src directory. Should be OK
          and continue without problems, but you might want to try running make
          one directory up so that it creates src/auto/config.mk for you.

          With a release I'll rename src/Makefile to something else and make
          src/Makefile create auto/config.mk, like it's done one directory up.
          I hesitate doing that right now, because it may break build scripts.

          --
          WOMAN: Well, 'ow did you become king then?
          ARTHUR: The Lady of the Lake, [angels sing] her arm clad in the purest

        • Atilla Filiz
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 1, 2011
            Thanks for the help. I found from config.log that my linux/limits.h was missing. Resolved by installing kernel-headers package in Pardus.

            --
            Atilla Filiz