Re: about errorformat

    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 4, 2011
      Namsh wrote:

      > There is always a message:
      >
      > CTIME - 2011-01-03 09:57:57
      >
      > And vim detects it as error message.
      >
      > Can vim ignore this message? starting with CTIME...
      > Or ignore a message if it cannot find a file in message.

      This is mainly caused by the %f item in 'errorformat' accepting file
      names with a space. That's needed for MS-Windows where quite a few
      directory names have a space, such as "Program Files".

      We could add a %F item that does not accept spaces inside a file name.
      That would fix it for most people, especially on Unix, where spaces are
      uncommon.

      Would someone want to make a patch for that?

      --
      Proof techniques #2: Proof by Oddity.
      SAMPLE: To prove that horses have an infinite number of legs.

    • SungHyun Nam
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 4, 2011
        Bram Moolenaar wrote:

        > Namsh wrote:
        >
        >> There is always a message:
        >>
        >> CTIME - 2011-01-03 09:57:57
        >>
        >> And vim detects it as error message.
        >>
        >> Can vim ignore this message? starting with CTIME...
        >> Or ignore a message if it cannot find a file in message.
        >
        > This is mainly caused by the %f item in 'errorformat' accepting file
        > names with a space. That's needed for MS-Windows where quite a few
        > directory names have a space, such as "Program Files".
        >
        > We could add a %F item that does not accept spaces inside a file name.
        > That would fix it for most people, especially on Unix, where spaces are
        > uncommon.
        >
        > Would someone want to make a patch for that?

        To me, vim opens an empty buffer is somewhat annoying.

        User who runs ':make' would know there occurs an error though vim
        does not open empty buffer I think.

        So that, I hope vim ignores a error message if it cannot find a
        file (by default, if '%F' is used, option ??).

        regards,
        namsh

        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 5, 2011
          Namsh wrote:

          > >> There is always a message:
          > >>
          > >> CTIME - 2011-01-03 09:57:57
          > >>
          > >> And vim detects it as error message.
          > >>
          > >> Can vim ignore this message? starting with CTIME...
          > >> Or ignore a message if it cannot find a file in message.
          > >
          > > This is mainly caused by the %f item in 'errorformat' accepting file
          > > names with a space. That's needed for MS-Windows where quite a few
          > > directory names have a space, such as "Program Files".
          > >
          > > We could add a %F item that does not accept spaces inside a file name.
          > > That would fix it for most people, especially on Unix, where spaces are
          > > uncommon.
          > >
          > > Would someone want to make a patch for that?
          >
          > To me, vim opens an empty buffer is somewhat annoying.
          >
          > User who runs ':make' would know there occurs an error though vim
          > does not open empty buffer I think.
          >
          > So that, I hope vim ignores a error message if it cannot find a
          > file (by default, if '%F' is used, option ??).

          Sometimes the file name is OK but the path is wrong, then it's still
          useful to have the error parsed. Especially when it's one line in a
          very long output. Deciding on whether the file exists also has the
          disadvantage that this requires access to the file system, which can be
          slow.

          --
          From "know your smileys":
          !-| I-am-a-Cylon-Centurian-with-one-red-eye-bouncing-back-and-forth