Re: [BUG] vimdiff doesn't work when the arguments are urls

  • Benjamin R. Haskell
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 2, 2011
      On Sat, 1 Jan 2011, Tony Mechelynck wrote:

      > On 31/12/10 18:37, H Xu wrote:
      >> Hello,
      >>
      >> "vimdiff" doesn't work when the arguments are urls. For example,
      >> "vimdiff /home/user/a.c /home/user/b.c" works, but "vimdiff
      >> file:///home/user/a.c file:///home/user/b.c" doesn't work.
      >>
      >> Tested under Linux.
      >>
      >> Regards,
      >> Hong Xu
      >> 01/01/2011
      >>

      > Recognising URLs is the job of the netrw plugin, which (like all
      > plugins) is only sourced at the end of startup.

      There's something more complex afoot here. I regularly use vimdiff
      against scp://host/ URLs to sync files from my main machine against
      whatever is on the current machine:

      e.g. to keep my .gitconfig (which contains a section on my main machine
      [for github] that I don't wish to sync on my work machine) I use:

      remote ~$ vimdiff scp://home/.gitconfig ~/.gitconfig

      So, it's not just the fact that it's using netrw. Even two scp:// URLs
      works fine:

      home ~$ cp .vimrc{,.copy}
      remote ~$ vimdiff scp://home/.vimrc{,.copy}

      And both files open fine (via netrw's scp: handling).

      --
      Best,
      Ben

    • Ben Fritz
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 3, 2011
        On Dec 31 2010, 11:37 am, H Xu <xuh...@...> wrote:
        > Hello,
        >
        > "vimdiff" doesn't work when the arguments are urls. For example,
        > "vimdiff /home/user/a.c /home/user/b.c" works, but "vimdiff
        > file:///home/user/a.c file:///home/user/b.c" doesn't work.

        Is vimdiff an alias? Does it use an alternate Vim setup without
        plugins, etc?

      • Charles Campbell
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 3, 2011
          H Xu wrote:
          > Hello,
          >
          > "vimdiff" doesn't work when the arguments are urls. For example,
          > "vimdiff /home/user/a.c /home/user/b.c" works, but "vimdiff
          > file:///home/user/a.c file:///home/user/b.c" doesn't work.
          >
          > Tested under Linux.
          Hello,

          Please try netrw v141i available from my website
          (http://mysite.verizon.net/astronaut/vim/index.html#NETRW).

          HTH,
          Chip Campbell

        • H Xu
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 5, 2011
            On 01/03/2011 11:51 PM, Charles Campbell wrote:
            > Hello,
            >
            > Please try netrw v141i available from my website
            > (http://mysite.verizon.net/astronaut/vim/index.html#NETRW).
            >
            > HTH,
            > Chip Campbell

            Hello Charles Campbell,