[BUG] vimdiff doesn't work when the arguments are urls

  • H Xu
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 31, 2010
      Hello,

      "vimdiff" doesn't work when the arguments are urls. For example,
      "vimdiff /home/user/a.c /home/user/b.c" works, but "vimdiff
      file:///home/user/a.c file:///home/user/b.c" doesn't work.

      Tested under Linux.

      Regards,
      Hong Xu
      01/01/2011

    • Tony Mechelynck
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 1, 2011
        On 31/12/10 18:37, H Xu wrote:
        > Hello,
        >
        > "vimdiff" doesn't work when the arguments are urls. For example,
        > "vimdiff /home/user/a.c /home/user/b.c" works, but "vimdiff
        > file:///home/user/a.c file:///home/user/b.c" doesn't work.
        >
        > Tested under Linux.
        >
        > Regards,
        > Hong Xu
        > 01/01/2011

        Recognising URLs is the job of the netrw plugin, which (like all
        plugins) is only sourced at the end of startup.

        I think it would work if you started Vim empty, then issued the commands

        :e http://server1/path1/subpath1/file1.c
        :vert diffsplit http://server2/path2/subpath2/file2.c

        within the running Vim. (file: URLs can always be simplified to local
        paths, which Vim can then load with no help from netrw.)

        She missed an invaluable opportunity to give him a look that you could
        have poured on a waffle ...

      • Peter Odding
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 1, 2011
          > Recognising URLs is the job of the netrw plugin, which (like all
          > plugins) is only sourced at the end of startup.

          The implication that BufReadCmd automatic commands don't work at
          start-up is not true. My notes.vim plug-in registers a "pseudo protocol"
          (note:) using a BufReadCmd* automatic command and this works fine in
          command arguments. In fact using it from the command line was one of my
          main use cases because it enables me to do this:

          $ gvim note:todo

          And I have my to-do list in front of me :-)

          - Peter Odding

          * https://github.com/xolox/vim-notes/blob/master/notes.vim#L60

        • Benjamin R. Haskell
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 2, 2011
            On Sat, 1 Jan 2011, Tony Mechelynck wrote:

            > On 31/12/10 18:37, H Xu wrote:
            >> Hello,
            >>
            >> "vimdiff" doesn't work when the arguments are urls. For example,
            >> "vimdiff /home/user/a.c /home/user/b.c" works, but "vimdiff
            >> file:///home/user/a.c file:///home/user/b.c" doesn't work.
            >>
            >> Tested under Linux.
            >>
            >> Regards,
            >> Hong Xu
            >> 01/01/2011
            >>

            > Recognising URLs is the job of the netrw plugin, which (like all
            > plugins) is only sourced at the end of startup.

            There's something more complex afoot here. I regularly use vimdiff
            against scp://host/ URLs to sync files from my main machine against
            whatever is on the current machine:

            e.g. to keep my .gitconfig (which contains a section on my main machine
            [for github] that I don't wish to sync on my work machine) I use:

            remote ~$ vimdiff scp://home/.gitconfig ~/.gitconfig

            So, it's not just the fact that it's using netrw. Even two scp:// URLs
            works fine:

            home ~$ cp .vimrc{,.copy}
            remote ~$ vimdiff scp://home/.vimrc{,.copy}

            And both files open fine (via netrw's scp: handling).

            --
            Best,
            Ben

          • Ben Fritz
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 3, 2011
              On Dec 31 2010, 11:37 am, H Xu <xuh...@...> wrote:
              > Hello,
              >
              > "vimdiff" doesn't work when the arguments are urls. For example,
              > "vimdiff /home/user/a.c /home/user/b.c" works, but "vimdiff
              > file:///home/user/a.c file:///home/user/b.c" doesn't work.

              Is vimdiff an alias? Does it use an alternate Vim setup without
              plugins, etc?

            • Charles Campbell
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 3, 2011
                H Xu wrote:
                > Hello,
                >
                > "vimdiff" doesn't work when the arguments are urls. For example,
                > "vimdiff /home/user/a.c /home/user/b.c" works, but "vimdiff
                > file:///home/user/a.c file:///home/user/b.c" doesn't work.
                >
                > Tested under Linux.
                Hello,

                Please try netrw v141i available from my website
                (http://mysite.verizon.net/astronaut/vim/index.html#NETRW).

                HTH,
                Chip Campbell

              • H Xu
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 5, 2011
                  On 01/03/2011 11:51 PM, Charles Campbell wrote:
                  > Hello,
                  >
                  > Please try netrw v141i available from my website
                  > (http://mysite.verizon.net/astronaut/vim/index.html#NETRW).
                  >
                  > HTH,
                  > Chip Campbell

                  Hello Charles Campbell,