problem using stdin on windows with cygwin

  • Ernie Rael
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 28, 2010
      These examples are using windows vim 7.3 (2010 Aug 15) on windows XP
      from a recent cygwin bash

      $ vim - <<< q ## This is OK. vim starts up, with "q" in the
      current buffer
      $ vim -e -s <<< q ## This hangs, expect it to simply exit

      In the first example, vim can read stdin OK. But not in the second. The
      second works ok on linux.

      Since I wanted to run ":helptags" from a script the following workaround
      is sufficient
      $ vim -e -s -c "helptags $(cygpath xxx)" -c q

      I wonder if this is a vim or a cygwin issue. I'm not sure how to try
      this from windows' cmd prompt.

      -ernie