determining if gui or console is running from plugin?

  • Britton Kerin
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 26, 2010
      Is there a good way to detect if you have a gui version or console?

      Thanks,
      Britton

    • Christian J. Robinson
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 26, 2010
        On Sun, 26 Dec 2010, Britton Kerin wrote:

        > Is there a good way to detect if you have a gui version or console?

        This query should have been sent to the vim_use@... list.

        But the answer is yes, see the second example at the top of ":help
        feature-list".

        - Christian

        --
        An ounce of example is worth a ton of advice.
        Christian J. Robinson <heptite@...> http://christianrobinson.name/

      • Tony Mechelynck
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 1, 2011
          On 26/12/10 23:33, Christian J. Robinson wrote:
          > On Sun, 26 Dec 2010, Britton Kerin wrote:
          >
          >> Is there a good way to detect if you have a gui version or console?
          >
          > This query should have been sent to the vim_use@... list.
          >
          > But the answer is yes, see the second example at the top of ":help
          > feature-list".
          >
          > - Christian

          Yes, there are in fact two possible answers, corresponding to two
          different questions:

          - The Subject of this thread: How can I know if Vim is running as a GUI
          or in the console?

          if has('gui_running')
          " running as gvim
          else
          " running in some console terminal
          endif

          - The question at the top of the OP's body text: How can I know if this
          Vim instance supports GUI mode?

          if has('gui')
          " this version of Vim can be run as gvim
          else
          " it cannot
          endif

          Under Windows, both are equivalent (GUI mode and Console mode require
          different executables) but not on Unix-like systems (where a GUI-enabled
          executable can also run in Console mode).

          Everything should be built top-down, except the first time.