Re: Moving svn CLIENT (fetched & modified source) to hg

  • Christian Brabandt
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 22, 2010
      On Thu, December 23, 2010 5:47 am, Anand Hariharan wrote:
      > I had this Debian box where I used to fetch vim from svn. I had made
      > some tweaks to the source. I used to merge the changes and rebuild my
      > custom configuration of vim.
      >
      > Clearly, it's been a while since I built vim from source. vim has
      > moved from Subversion to Mercurial.
      >
      > I would like to move the source tree fetched from svn with the
      > modifications I have within it, so that it 'resembles' that of a
      > source fetched from hg. Thenceforth, I could do whatever it is I used
      > to do with svn, with hg (i.e., fetch, resolve conflicts, merge, build,
      > etc.). Is this possible in theory? Has vim changed significantly in
      > the last 6 months to render my custom tweaks meaningless (i.e., I
      > might as well start afresh)?

      With the release of Vim 7.3, vim has changed significantly. So I would
      suggest, moving your patch and trying out if it still applies to the
      7.3 sources. In the best case, it will apply with some offset and in the
      worst case you need to merge your changes manually. I would also
      recommend, using mercurial or a git repo, as it is so much easier than
      svn. In case you are deciding to use hg, look at the mq-extension,
      that allows to use a patch queue that can be applied after you have
      updated the source. Patching Vim is really easy then.

      regards,
      Christian