Re: Spelling support doesn’t deal with ‘’’ correctly

  • Mike Williams
    Message 1 of 25 , Dec 1, 2010
      On 01/12/2010 09:58, Nikolai Weibull wrote:
      > On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 21:11, Bram Moolenaar<Bram@...> wrote:
      >>
      >> Nikolai Weibull wrote:
      >>
      >>> Writing “Let’s begin …” marks the ‘s’ as a spelling
      >>> error. Writing “Let's begin …” works fine. Is this a bug,
      >>> or am I missing something?
      >
      >> You are using weird quotes from cp1252. The spell checker works with
      >> latin1 quotes. The equivalent of cp1252 0x92 is 0x2019 in Unicode.
      >> They are not the same, thus Vim says it's an error to use that.
      >> Please don't use cp1252, it's Windows-only stuff.
      >
      > I don’t use cp1252, nor do I use the (almost) equally horrible latin1
      > (ISO-8859-1). I use Unicode, specifically U+2018, U+2019, U+201C, and
      > U+201D.
      >
      > spelllang=en encoding=utf-8
      >
      > :spelldump gives me
      >
      > /regions=usaucagbnz
      > # file: /usr/share/vim/vim73/spell/en.utf-8.spl
      >
      > so everything seems to be in order, except for the fact that ‘’’ isn’t
      > being recognized. :spelldump also lists
      >
      > don't
      >
      > but not
      >
      > don’t
      >
      > nor any other word with a ‘’’.

      If the spell lists are in 7-bit ASCII then applying a Unicode to ASCII
      conversion should map U+2019 to U+0027 and make spell DWIM.

      TTFN

      Mike
      --
      .egassem terces eht dnuof evah ouY !snoitalutargnoC

    • Nikolai Weibull
      Message 2 of 25 , Dec 1, 2010
        On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 12:05, Mike Williams
        <mike.williams@...> wrote:

        > If the spell lists are in 7-bit ASCII then applying a Unicode to ASCII
        > conversion should map U+2019 to U+0027 and make spell DWIM.

        What do you mean by ”applying a Unicode to ASCII conversion”?

      • Mike Williams
        Message 3 of 25 , Dec 1, 2010
          On 01/12/2010 11:18, Nikolai Weibull wrote:
          > On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 12:05, Mike Williams
          > <mike.williams@...> wrote:
          >
          >> If the spell lists are in 7-bit ASCII then applying a Unicode to ASCII
          >> conversion should map U+2019 to U+0027 and make spell DWIM.
          >
          > What do you mean by ”applying a Unicode to ASCII conversion”?

          Passing the Unicode encoded text through something like iconv to produce
          an ASCII version of it. There are standard mapping tables for the
          punctuation symbols that would handle most of the general punctuation
          block U+2000-206F. For example left and right double quotes would both
          be mapped to the quotation character.

          It will depend on how any Unicode characters that have no mapping are
          treated. In a conversion you normally are allowed to specify a
          replacement character for them. Ideally you would pick a character that
          would not be picked up by the spell code.

          HTH

          Mike

          Message 4 of 25 , Dec 1, 2010
            On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 13:28, Mike Williams
            <mike.williams@...> wrote:
            > On 01/12/2010 11:18, Nikolai Weibull wrote:
            >>
            >> On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 12:05, Mike Williams
            >> <mike.williams@...>  wrote:
            >>
            >>> If the spell lists are in 7-bit ASCII then applying a Unicode to ASCII
            >>> conversion should map U+2019 to U+0027 and make spell DWIM.
            >>
            >> What do you mean by ”applying a Unicode to ASCII conversion”?

            > Passing the Unicode encoded text through something like iconv to produce an
            > ASCII version of it.  There are standard mapping tables for the punctuation
            > symbols that would handle most of the general punctuation block U+2000-206F.
            >  For example left and right double quotes would both be mapped to the
            > quotation character.

            Why would I want to do that? I want my Unicode-encoded text.

            I figured that you were suggesting some sort of modification of the
            spelling tables.

          • Mike Williams
            Message 5 of 25 , Dec 1, 2010
              On 01/12/2010 12:37, Nikolai Weibull wrote:
              > On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 13:28, Mike Williams
              > <mike.williams@...> wrote:
              >> On 01/12/2010 11:18, Nikolai Weibull wrote:

              >>> What do you mean by ”applying a Unicode to ASCII conversion”?
              >
              >> Passing the Unicode encoded text through something like iconv to produce an
              >> ASCII version of it. There are standard mapping tables for the punctuation
              >> symbols that would handle most of the general punctuation block U+2000-206F.
              >> For example left and right double quotes would both be mapped to the
              >> quotation character.
              >
              > Why would I want to do that? I want my Unicode-encoded text.
              >
              > I figured that you were suggesting some sort of modification of the
              > spelling tables.

              If the spelling tables are ASCII then I am just pointing out there is a
              means of having Unicode encoded text spell checked against them. The
              spell checking code could converts the buffer contents to temporary
              storage before running. I imagine there will be some fun in mapping
              back from the temporary storage to the original buffer contents to
              highlight spelling issues.

              I imagine this would also work for anyone else working in Unicode where
              the spelling checklists are not in Unicode.

              There is a solution to the problem. The question is is it worth
              implementing? Someone who knows the spell checking code would be able
              to say.

              Mike
              --
              A clean room is a sure sign of a broken computer.

              Message 6 of 25 , Dec 1, 2010
                Nikolai Weibull wrote:

                > >> Writing “Let’s begin …” marks the ‘s’ as a spelling
                > >> error.  Writing “Let's begin …” works fine.  Is this a bug,
                > >> or am I missing something?
                >
                > > You are using weird quotes from cp1252.  The spell checker works with
                > > latin1 quotes.  The equivalent of cp1252 0x92 is 0x2019 in Unicode.
                > > They are not the same, thus Vim says it's an error to use that.
                > > Please don't use cp1252, it's Windows-only stuff.
                >
                > I don’t use cp1252, nor do I use the (almost) equally horrible latin1
                > (ISO-8859-1). I use Unicode, specifically U+2018, U+2019, U+201C, and
                > U+201D.

                Your message header had:

                This one has:

                > spelllang=en encoding=utf-8
                >
                > :spelldump gives me
                >
                > /regions=usaucagbnz
                > # file: /usr/share/vim/vim73/spell/en.utf-8.spl
                >
                > so everything seems to be in order, except for the fact that ‘’’ isn’t
                > being recognized. :spelldump also lists
                >
                > don't
                >
                > but not
                >
                > don’t
                >
                > nor any other word with a ‘’’.

                Right, only latin1 quotes are supported. Note that the first 256
                characters of Unicode are latin1.

                --
                Managers are like cats in a litter box. They instinctively shuffle things
                around to conceal what they've done.

              • Nikolai Weibull
                Message 7 of 25 , Dec 1, 2010
                  On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 21:12, Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> wrote:

                  >> > You are using weird quotes from cp1252.  The spell checker works with
                  >> > latin1 quotes.  The equivalent of cp1252 0x92 is 0x2019 in Unicode.
                  >> > They are not the same, thus Vim says it's an error to use that.
                  >> > Please don't use cp1252, it's Windows-only stuff.
                  >>
                  >> I don’t use cp1252, nor do I use the (almost) equally horrible latin1
                  >> (ISO-8859-1).  I use Unicode, specifically U+2018, U+2019, U+201C, and
                  >> U+201D.
                  >
                  > Your message header had:

                  Not according to GMail (this is what it sent):

                  Sender: nikolai.weibull@...
                  Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 12:40:55 +0100
                  Subject: =?UTF-8?B?U3BlbGxpbmcgc3VwcG9ydCBkb2VzbuKAmXQgZGVhbCB3aXRoIOKAmOKAmeKAmSBjb3JyZQ==?=
                  =?UTF-8?B?Y3RseQ==?=
                  From: Nikolai Weibull <now@...>
                  To: Vim Developers <vim_dev@...>

                  Perhaps Google Groups messed with the message along the way.

                  > Right, only latin1 quotes are supported.

                  OK, so let’s fix that. How do we fix that?

                  Also, I don’t understand what you say latin1 quotes, as it would be a
                  lot clearer if you said ASCII quotes. (Latin1 doesn’t add any
                  additional quotes. That’s one of the main differences between latin1
                  and cp1252.)

                • Nikolai Weibull
                  Message 8 of 25 , Mar 8, 2011
                    On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 22:00, Nikolai Weibull <now@...> wrote:
                    > On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 21:12, Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> wrote:
                    >>
                    >> Nikolai Weibull wrote:
                    >>
                    >>> Writing “Let’s begin …” marks the ‘s’ as a spelling
                    >>> error.  Writing “Let's begin …” works fine.  Is this a bug,
                    >>> or am I missing something?

                    >> Right, only latin1 quotes are supported.

                    > OK, so let’s fix that.  How do we fix that?
                    >
                    > Also, I don’t understand what you say latin1 quotes, as it would be a
                    > lot clearer if you said ASCII quotes.  (Latin1 doesn’t add any
                    > additional quotes.  That’s one of the main differences between latin1
                    > and cp1252.)

                    Still waiting for a response to this question.

                    Message 9 of 25 , Mar 8, 2011
                      Nikolai Weibull wrote:

                      > On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 22:00, Nikolai Weibull <now@...> wrote:

                      > >> Right, only latin1 quotes are supported.
                      >
                      > > OK, so let’s fix that.  How do we fix that?
                      > >
                      > > Also, I don’t understand what you say latin1 quotes, as it would be a
                      > > lot clearer if you said ASCII quotes.  (Latin1 doesn’t add any
                      > > additional quotes.  That’s one of the main differences between latin1
                      > > and cp1252.)
                      >
                      > Still waiting for a response to this question.

                      I don't know how to fix this (well, don't have time to look into it). I
                      don't even know what the fix would do anyway. We don't want to allow
                      just any quotes, only the ones that are appropriate for the language.
                      Probably this needs to be done in the spell files themselves. Or with
                      an option in the affix file.

                      --
                      Did you ever stop to think... and forget to start again?
                      -- Steven Wright

                    • Dominique Pellé
                      Message 10 of 25 , Mar 8, 2011
                        Nikolai Weibull <now@...> wrote:

                        > On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 22:00, Nikolai Weibull <now@...> wrote:

                        >>> Right, only latin1 quotes are supported.
                        >
                        >> OK, so let’s fix that.  How do we fix that?
                        >>
                        >> Also, I don’t understand what you say latin1 quotes, as it would be a
                        >> lot clearer if you said ASCII quotes.  (Latin1 doesn’t add any
                        >> additional quotes.  That’s one of the main differences between latin1
                        >> and cp1252.)
                        >
                        > Still waiting for a response to this question.

                        The hunspell doc is not very clear but I think this is what the
                        ICONV directive of Hunspell is for. Looking at this English
                        dictionary of OpenOffice 3.x at:

                        http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/en/project/dict-en-fixed

                        ... the en_US.aff file contains:

                        2839 ICONV 6
                        2840 ICONV ’ '
                        2841 ICONV ffi ffi
                        2842 ICONV ffl ffl
                        2843 ICONV ff ff
                        2844 ICONV fi fi
                        2845 ICONV fl fl
                        2846
                        2847 OCONV 1
                        2848 OCONV ' ’

                        My understanding is that ICONV causes to convert the input
                        fancy quote U+2019 into a regular quote (among other conversions)
                        before probing the dictionary. So "Let’s" and “Let's" are both
                        recognized as correct.

                        But Vim currently still uses dictionaries from OpenOffice-2.x and
                        does not support ICONV either.

                        I found the following patch which adds support of Hunspell
                        dictionary in Vim:

                        https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=219777

                        I tried the patch and it still works with latest vim-7.3.138
                        (I did not test it extensively yet). With some clean up, it
                        could be a good addition to Vim-7.4.

                        How about adding options such as:

                        " Comma separated directories where to search for
                        " Hunspell dictionaries (*.aff and *.dic).
                        set hunspelldir=~/hunspell,/usr/share/hunspell

                        " Boolean option to use Hunspell dictionaries directly
                        " rather than Vim spelling dictionaries.
                        set hunspell

                        Using Hunspell dictionaries directly solves several issues.
                        I never managed to convert the latest French dictionary from
                        OpenOffice-3.x from Hunspell to Vim. The dictionaries from
                        OpenOffice-2.x are quite out of date (at least for French).
                        I wish I could use the latest dictionary from OpenOffice-3.x

                        Regards
                        -- Dominique

                      • James Vega
                        Message 11 of 25 , Mar 8, 2011
                          On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 3:01 PM, Dominique Pellé
                          <dominique.pelle@...> wrote:
                          > Nikolai Weibull <now@...> wrote:

                          >>> OK, so let’s fix that.  How do we fix that?
                          >>>
                          >>> Also, I don’t understand what you say latin1 quotes, as it would be a
                          >>> lot clearer if you said ASCII quotes.  (Latin1 doesn’t add any
                          >>> additional quotes.  That’s one of the main differences between latin1
                          >>> and cp1252.)
                          >>
                          >> Still waiting for a response to this question.
                          >

                          > The hunspell doc is not very clear but I think this is what the
                          > ICONV directive of Hunspell is for. Looking at this English
                          > dictionary of OpenOffice 3.x at:
                          >
                          > http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/en/project/dict-en-fixed
                          >
                          > ... the en_US.aff file contains:
                          >
                          > 2839 ICONV 6
                          > 2840 ICONV ’ '
                          > 2841 ICONV ffi ffi
                          > 2842 ICONV ffl ffl
                          > 2843 ICONV ff ff
                          > 2844 ICONV fi fi
                          > 2845 ICONV fl fl
                          > 2846
                          > 2847 OCONV 1
                          > 2848 OCONV ' ’
                          >
                          > My understanding is that ICONV causes to convert the input
                          > fancy quote U+2019 into a regular quote (among other conversions)
                          > before probing the dictionary.  So "Let’s" and “Let's" are both
                          > recognized as correct.
                          >
                          > But Vim currently still uses dictionaries from OpenOffice-2.x and
                          > does not support ICONV either.
                          >
                          > I found the following patch which adds support of Hunspell
                          > dictionary in Vim:
                          >
                          > https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=219777

                          Personally, I'd prefer to use something like Enchant[0] over a specific
                          spelling library, if the effort is going to be taken to use something
                          other than Vim's internal spell-checking. I've done some work in a
                          local branch to integrate Enchant, but ran into some larger questions
                          that need to be addressed and haven't had time to draft a reasonable
                          email about them yet.

                          [0]: http://www.abisource.com/projects/enchant/
                          --
                          James

                        • Dominique Pellé
                          Message 12 of 25 , Mar 9, 2011
                            James Vega wrote:

                            > On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 3:01 PM, Dominique Pellé
                            > <dominique.pelle@...> wrote:
                            >> Nikolai Weibull <now@...> wrote:

                            >>> Still waiting for a response to this question.
                            >>

                            >> The hunspell doc is not very clear but I think this is what the
                            >> ICONV directive of Hunspell is for. Looking at this English
                            >> dictionary of OpenOffice 3.x at:
                            >>
                            >> http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/en/project/dict-en-fixed
                            >>
                            >> ... the en_US.aff file contains:
                            >>
                            >> 2839 ICONV 6
                            >> 2840 ICONV ’ '
                            >> 2841 ICONV ffi ffi
                            >> 2842 ICONV ffl ffl
                            >> 2843 ICONV ff ff
                            >> 2844 ICONV fi fi
                            >> 2845 ICONV fl fl
                            >> 2846
                            >> 2847 OCONV 1
                            >> 2848 OCONV ' ’
                            >>
                            >> My understanding is that ICONV causes to convert the input
                            >> fancy quote U+2019 into a regular quote (among other conversions)
                            >> before probing the dictionary.  So "Let’s" and “Let's" are both
                            >> recognized as correct.
                            >>
                            >> But Vim currently still uses dictionaries from OpenOffice-2.x and
                            >> does not support ICONV either.
                            >>
                            >> I found the following patch which adds support of Hunspell
                            >> dictionary in Vim:
                            >>
                            >> https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=219777
                            >
                            > Personally, I'd prefer to use something like Enchant[0] over a specific
                            > spelling library, if the effort is going to be taken to use something
                            > other than Vim's internal spell-checking.  I've done some work in a
                            > local branch to integrate Enchant, but ran into some larger questions
                            > that need to be addressed and haven't had time to draft a reasonable
                            > email about them yet.
                            >
                            > [0]: http://www.abisource.com/projects/enchant/

                            I did not know about Enchant until now but the description looks
                            convincing considering the number of backends it supports. I'm
                            mostly interested in better support of Hunspell but Enchant would
                            provide that along with support of other spelling systems.
                            In short, it looks promising.

                            -- Dominique

                          • Ben Fritz
                            Message 13 of 25 , Mar 10, 2011
                              On Mar 8, 5:13 am, Nikolai Weibull <n...@...> wrote:
                              > > Also, I don’t understand what you say latin1 quotes, as it would be a
                              > > lot clearer if you said ASCII quotes.  (Latin1 doesn’t add any
                              > > additional quotes.  That’s one of the main differences between latin1
                              > > and cp1252.)
                              >
                              > Still waiting for a response to this question.

                              Latin1 is a superset of ASCII. Since there are no additional quote
                              characters in latin1, saying "Latin1 quotes" means exactly the same as
                              ASCII quotes.

                              Apparently cp1252 DOES add some quotes. Unicode certainly does. So the
                              distinction is ASCII/Latin1 quotes vs. cp1252/Unicode quotes.

                            • Nikolai Weibull
                              Message 14 of 25 , Mar 10, 2011
                                On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 17:15, Ben Fritz <fritzophrenic@...> wrote:

                                > On Mar 8, 5:13 am, Nikolai Weibull <n...@...> wrote:
                                >> > Also, I don’t understand what you say latin1 quotes, as it would be a
                                >> > lot clearer if you said ASCII quotes.  (Latin1 doesn’t add any
                                >> > additional quotes.  That’s one of the main differences between latin1
                                >> > and cp1252.)
                                >>
                                >> Still waiting for a response to this question.

                                > Latin1 is a superset of ASCII. Since there are no additional quote
                                > characters in latin1, saying "Latin1 quotes" means exactly the same as
                                > ASCII quotes.
                                >
                                > Apparently cp1252 DOES add some quotes. Unicode certainly does. So the
                                > distinction is ASCII/Latin1 quotes vs. cp1252/Unicode quotes.

                                Why are you echoing what I already said above?

                              • Ben Fritz
                                Message 15 of 25 , Mar 11, 2011
                                  On Mar 11, 1:44 am, Nikolai Weibull <n...@...> wrote:

                                  > >> Still waiting for a response to this question.
                                  > > Latin1 is a superset of ASCII. Since there are no additional quote
                                  > > characters in latin1, saying "Latin1 quotes" means exactly the same as
                                  > > ASCII quotes.
                                  >
                                  > > Apparently cp1252 DOES add some quotes. Unicode certainly does. So the
                                  > > distinction is ASCII/Latin1 quotes vs. cp1252/Unicode quotes.
                                  >
                                  > Why are you echoing what I already said above?

                                  I'm not echoing you. I'm trying to point out that I believe your
                                  conclusion is wrong even though your facts are right. You say Bram
                                  should have said "ASCII quotes" because they are the same as latin1
                                  quotes. But because they are the same, referring to them as ASCII will
                                  add zero clarity and in fact will decrease clarity, because if I
                                  understand correctly, the spell files are truly in Latin1 and not
                                  ASCII.

                                • Nikolai Weibull
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Mar 11, 2011
                                    On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 16:56, Ben Fritz <fritzophrenic@...> wrote:

                                    > On Mar 11, 1:44 am, Nikolai Weibull <n...@...> wrote:

                                    >> > Latin1 is a superset of ASCII. Since there are no additional quote
                                    >> > characters in latin1, saying "Latin1 quotes" means exactly the same as
                                    >> > ASCII quotes.
                                    >>
                                    >> > Apparently cp1252 DOES add some quotes. Unicode certainly does. So the
                                    >> > distinction is ASCII/Latin1 quotes vs. cp1252/Unicode quotes.
                                    >>
                                    >> Why are you echoing what I already said above?
                                    >
                                    > I'm not echoing you. I'm trying to point out that I believe your
                                    > conclusion is wrong even though your facts are right. You say Bram
                                    > should have said "ASCII quotes" because they are the same as latin1
                                    > quotes. But because they are the same, referring to them as ASCII will
                                    > add zero clarity and in fact will decrease clarity, because if I
                                    > understand correctly, the spell files are truly in Latin1 and not
                                    > ASCII.

                                    Saying “latin1 quotes” adds zero clarity. It actually muddles the
                                    facts, especially since cp1252 does add quotes and, again especially,
                                    since there was some confusion about what quotes (and encoding) I
                                    (well, Google) was using in my e-mails.

                                    But this is a big “whatever”. As latin1 (or, more appropriately,
                                    iso-8859-1) is a superset of ASCII and Unicode is a superset of
                                    latin1, then what I really care about is having support for Unicode
                                    quotes. Or, Unicode apostrophes, to be exact (not U+0027, but
                                    U+2019), as it’s not ‘’’’s role as a right single quotation mark, but
                                    as an apostrophe, that I care about.

                                  • Dimitar DIMITROV
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Mar 15, 2011
                                      Hi,

                                      On windows XP:

                                      1. I did: gvim.exe -u NONE -U NONE -N

                                      then :ls which displays

                                      :ls
                                        1 %a   "[No Name]"                    line 1
                                      Press ENTER or type command to continue

                                      2. Then I did: :set lazyredraw, and this time :ls wouldn't display anything

                                      Tested with Vim 7.3, 1-138

                                      Dimitar Dimitrov

                                    • Christian Brabandt
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Mar 15, 2011
                                        On Tue, March 15, 2011 2:01 pm, Dimitar DIMITROV wrote:
                                        > 1. I did: gvim.exe -u NONE -U NONE -N
                                        >
                                        > then :ls which displays
                                        >
                                        > :ls
                                        > 1 %a "[No Name]" line 1
                                        > Press ENTER or type command to continue
                                        >
                                        > 2. Then I did: :set lazyredraw, and this time :ls wouldn't display
                                        > anything
                                        >
                                        > Tested with Vim 7.3, 1-138

                                        This has been discussed before, e.g. here:
                                        http://groups.google.com/group/vim_dev/msg/fd9a82ef07460726

                                        regards,
                                        Christian

                                      • Gary Johnson
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Mar 15, 2011
                                          On 2011-03-11, Nikolai Weibull wrote:

                                          > But this is a big "whatever". As latin1 (or, more appropriately,
                                          > iso-8859-1) is a superset of ASCII and Unicode is a superset of
                                          > latin1, then what I really care about is having support for Unicode
                                          > quotes.

                                          Latin1 is a superset of ASCII, but Unicode is not a superset of
                                          latin1. Unicode supports a larger set of characters than latin1 and
                                          shares some character encodings in common with latin1 but it is a
                                          different encoding.

                                          Regards,
                                          Gary

                                        • Tony Mechelynck
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Mar 15, 2011
                                            On 15/03/11 15:49, Gary Johnson wrote:
                                            > On 2011-03-11, Nikolai Weibull wrote:
                                            >
                                            >> But this is a big "whatever". As latin1 (or, more appropriately,
                                            >> iso-8859-1) is a superset of ASCII and Unicode is a superset of
                                            >> latin1, then what I really care about is having support for Unicode
                                            >> quotes.
                                            >
                                            > Latin1 is a superset of ASCII, but Unicode is not a superset of
                                            > latin1. Unicode supports a larger set of characters than latin1 and
                                            > shares some character encodings in common with latin1 but it is a
                                            > different encoding.
                                            >
                                            > Regards,
                                            > Gary

                                            Unicode is a superset of Latin1 in the sense that every Latin1 character
                                            is also a Unicode codepoint, and at the same ordinal position (the first
                                            256 Unicode codepoints are the 256 Latin1 characters in the same order).

                                            However no Unicode encoding represents Latin1 characters higher than
                                            0x7F *on disk* by the same binary value that Latin1 does (UTF-8, but not
                                            the other Unicode encodings except maybe --I'm not sure-- GB18030,
                                            represents the 128 US-ASCII characters the same way as both US-ASCII and
                                            Latin1).

                                            <encyclopedia>
                                            The above paragraph implies that Unicode is not *one* encoding, even
                                            though Vim represents all Unicode codepoints the same way *in memory*.
                                            Rather, Unicode should be seen as a way of classifying all known writing
                                            systems as a one-dimensional list going from zero to "something high" by
                                            integer steps or "codepoints". These codepoints may be coded as bytes in
                                            different ways:
                                            * UTF-8, which uses one or more bytes per codepoint, and where the byte
                                            0x00 can only represent the codepoint U+0000 (the null codepoint) so
                                            it's useful for a representation using C strings. The first byte used
                                            for any codepoint tells how many bytes there will be in all, the other
                                            ones (if any) have values which cannot happen in the first byte, so
                                            synchronization is easy even if corrupt bytes become embedded in the text.
                                            * UCS-2, which uses one two-byte word (big-endian or little-endian) per
                                            codepoint and cannot represent any codepoint higher than U+FFFF
                                            * UTF-16, which extends UCS-2 up to U+10FFFF by means of "surrogate
                                            codepoints", using two words for codepoints higher than U+FFFF
                                            * UCS-4 aka UTF-32, which can be big-endian or little-endian (or even,
                                            I've been told, ordered 2143 or 3412) and uses one four-byte doubleword
                                            per codepoint. It simply stores each codepoint as its ordinal value
                                            expressed as one unsigned 32-bit integer.
                                            * GB18030, which is skewed in favour of Chinese; it allows
                                            representation of any Unicode codepoint but the conversion in either
                                            direction between it and other Unicode encodings requires bulky tables.

                                            Conversion between any of the above except GB18030 is trivial; Vim does
                                            it with no need for the iconv library. For UCS-2, UTF-16 and UTF-32,
                                            when the endianness is omitted, big-endian is implied, even on
                                            little-endian processors such as the Intel ones used in all Windows PCs,
                                            most Linux ones, and many of those equipped with Mac OSX.
                                            </encyclopedia>

                                            Champagne don't make me lazy.
                                            Cocaine don't drive me crazy.
                                            Ain't nobody's business but my own.
                                            -- Taj Mahal

                                          • Cesar Romani
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Jan 30, 2014
                                              On 08/03/2011 03:01 p.m., Dominique Pellé wrote:

                                              > [...]
                                              >
                                              > I found the following patch which adds support of Hunspell
                                              > dictionary in Vim:
                                              >
                                              > https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=219777
                                              >
                                              > I tried the patch and it still works with latest vim-7.3.138
                                              > (I did not test it extensively yet). With some clean up, it
                                              > could be a good addition to Vim-7.4.
                                              >
                                              > [...]
                                              >
                                              > Using Hunspell dictionaries directly solves several issues.
                                              > I never managed to convert the latest French dictionary from
                                              > OpenOffice-3.x from Hunspell to Vim. The dictionaries from
                                              > OpenOffice-2.x are quite out of date (at least for French).
                                              > I wish I could use the latest dictionary from OpenOffice-3.x

                                              I managed to build vim74 including the patch for using hunspell, but how
                                              am I supposed to use it with vim?

                                              Many thanks in advance,

                                              --
                                              Cesar