[DNS] vim.org should point to www.vim.org

  • Rye
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 8, 2010
      When I tried to access http://vim.org, I got a DNS failure

      >Network Error (dns_server_failure)
      >
      >Your request could not be processed because an error occurred contacting the DNS server.
      >The DNS server may be temporarily unavailable, or there could be a network problem.
      >
      >For assistance, contact your network support team.

      the prefix 'www.' is kind of waste, vim.org should live without it.

    • MindTooth
      Message 2 of 9 , May 16, 2011
        Hello,

        I have sent an email on the before, but got no reply.

        Please, make sure the site is accessible from both no-www and www. Personally I prefer the no-www.

        Thank you!

      • Benjamin R. Haskell
        Message 3 of 9 , May 16, 2011
          On Mon, 16 May 2011, MindTooth wrote:

          > Hello,
          > I have sent an email on the before, but got no reply.
          >
          > Please, make sure the site is accessible from both no-www and www.
          > Personally I prefer the no-www.

          This has been discussed recently[1] and several months ago[2]. As far
          as I can tell, there's no good reason for the decision. The only
          argument in favor of "shouldn't respond to bare vim.org" was a response
          from the DNS administrator that was reposted on-list[3]:

          > On 08/17/2010 03:25 PM, Stefan `Sec` Zehl wrote:
          >> Yes. This is by design. Its a bad habit to omit the "www." part if you
          >> intend to talk to a webserver. Maybe call me an old fart, but you are
          >> connecting to a webserver, not a domain, and the URL you use should
          >> reflect that.
          >
          >> CU,
          >> Sec

          (to which I responded, much later and in jest, that he was an old fart[4]).

          Sourceforge (which hosts www.vim.org) has a preferred mechanism for
          serving bare domains[5], which Ben S (per John's prompting) pointed out
          in the recent vim-dev thread[6].

          It's unclear what remains to be said or needs to be done for this to
          happen.

          --
          Best,
          Ben

          [1] http://groups.google.com/group/vim_use/browse_thread/thread/9cb3714feed89eb7
          , http://groups.google.com/group/vim_dev/browse_thread/thread/b724d3968c0d839b
          [2] http://groups.google.com/group/vim_dev/browse_thread/thread/36b81acf60548c20
          [3] http://groups.google.com/group/vim_dev/msg/e446b98902b04bde
          [4] http://groups.google.com/group/vim_use/msg/d9e1ce19939ae9ad
          [5] http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/sourceforge/wiki/Custom%20VHOSTs
          [6] http://groups.google.com/group/vim_dev/msg/dd8d2149cf421cd7

        • Birger J. Nordølum
          Message 4 of 9 , May 16, 2011
            Hello Ben,

            Thank you for taking the time to reply.

            Doing a search for the DNS records[0] reveals that the A record (www) is set as the active entry, and no CNAME entries are listed, as instructed by SourceForge. Though you could always argue that this is voluntarily.

            My personal believe is that the DNS should ways be set to no-www as the A record, and the www as a CNAME. This makes the site more accessible from all possible ways. And not excluding any.

            This is not an discussion whether you choose one over the other, but include both. Which I think is a fairly simple task.

            Lets just hope the people with the power gain their senses and fix this :)

            Once again, thank you Ben!

          • Birger J. Nordølum
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 5, 2012
              Hello again,

              Seeing there were no respons to my inquiry, I feel obliged to speak out again.

              We now live in the year 2012 and the web is more important than ever. As well Vim being more popular than ever. To even impose a questionable limitation for any individuals who wants to join the fun, the awesomeness, the importance of Vim, like making sure they can't access the site without knowing beforehand that you sure be aware to add that www. part before typing vim.com.

              Which I personally suspect of being a hindering for a lot of people from accessing the site, and/or making it harder for regular users. Comparing writing the two, the www.-less is faster to write.

              Even the creation of the www. part is to be accounted as an accident[1]. And not designed as a expected implementation for the domain system.

              I can only once again petition that the DNS part of the Vim project get fixed, as this is to considered as being a flawed configuration, and can't be acknowledged as a "good" design decision.

              I don't post here to create a bad mood, but to engage and encourage a healthy discussion on parts of the project that needs to be dealt with. And I hope that no one is feeling attacked by my words. If so, I apologize.

              Sincerely,

              Birger J.

              [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Wide_Web#WWW_prefix

              On Tuesday, May 17, 2011 5:55:17 AM UTC+2, Birger J. Nordølum wrote:
[...]

            • Marc Weber
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 5, 2012
                Excerpts from Birger J. Nordølum's message of Mon Mar 05 12:24:49 +0100 2012:
                > We now live in the year 2012 and the web is more important than ever.
                Firefox => redirects to www.
                chrome => redirects to www.
                opera => failure
                ie => bing search 1/ second hit www.vim.org
                midori (webkit) => failure
                safari (windows) => redirects to www.

                Thus the damage may not be as big as you see it.

                According to http://www.df.eu/blog/2012/02/16/browserstatistik-betriebssystemstatistik-25/
                2012/1 Opera: 2%
                2012/1 Safari: 14,4%

                Thus I expect only those to have trouble which belong to those 2% *and*
                forget to type www. (rough estimation)

                I agree that things should "just work" so I'd vote for "fixing" it - but
                given that it may just work for a lot of users ..

                Additionally those who are interested will try a second attempt which is
                "google" and then they'll succeed.

                Marc Weber

              • François Ingelrest
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 5, 2012
                  On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 12:24, Birger J. Nordølum wrote:
                  > I can only once again petition that the DNS part of the Vim project get
                  > fixed, as this is to considered as being a flawed configuration, and can't
                  > be acknowledged as a "good" design decision.

                  I personally don't care whether vim.org works without the www prefix
                  or not, but I'd vote to "fix" it just to stop the recurring requests
                  for making it work. And I must say I can't see any reason to prevent
                  vim.org from working without the www prefix, while I can easily find
                  some to make it work.

                • Thilo Six
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 5, 2012
                    Hello,

                    Excerpt from François Ingelrest:

                    -- <snip> --
                    > I personally don't care whether vim.org works without the www prefix
                    > or not, but I'd vote to "fix" it just to stop the recurring requests
                    > for making it work. And I must say I can't see any reason to prevent
                    > vim.org from working without the www prefix, while I can easily find
                    > some to make it work.

                    I would second that. Maybe one reason for leaving the prefix out for me is, it
                    would be more in vims fashion. E.g. one can use 'set ea' instead of
                    'set equalalways' as long as it is uniq but apart from that i do not care really.

                    PS. can i haz tabcompletition in the urlbar plz? scnr
                    Thilo

                    4096R/0xC70B1A8F

                  • MacDonald, Stuart
                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 6, 2012
                      From: vim_dev@... [mailto:vim_dev@...] On
                      > opera => failure
                      [snip]
                      > 2012/1 Opera: 2%
                      >
                      > Thus I expect only those to have trouble which belong to those 2% *and*
                      > forget to type www. (rough estimation)

                      Hi there. You're talking about me. And yeah, it's annoying when I hit
                      the issue. Always meant to complain, never got around to it.

                      > I agree that things should "just work" so I'd vote for "fixing" it - but
                      > given that it may just work for a lot of users ..

                      Had I the authority, I could have fixed this problem in the time it
                      took to type this reply.

                      If TPTB want to bestow the authority on me, I will fix it.

                      ...Stu