Re: Two up view like in adobe reader

  • Milan Vancura
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 5, 2010
      > >> I think Charles Campbell's MPage plugin is just what you want:
      > >>
      > >> http://mysite.verizon.net/astronaut/vim/index.html#MPAGE
      > >
      > > Thank you for the link, Ingo, and for the plugin itself, Dr Chip.
      > > I tried it and basically it works. But it's done by overkill: manual window
      > > synchronization by its own vimscript function and calling this function as a
      > > part of every command moving the window. So every such command must be
      > > remapped. It may conflict with other remappings, it's hard to catch
      > > everything (for example charwise and linewise visual blocks does not work in
      > > mpage'd windows for me) etc.
      > >
      > > True support of synchronized windows would be much better. And we already have
      > > something very similar if not the same - in diff mode. So the only we need is a
      > > user interface for using that not only in diff mode but in "mpage mode" as
      > > well. The option in question is 'scrollbind', for example we can do:
      >
      > Well, what you call "overkill" looks like the default Vim extension mechanism
      > (i.e. autocmds, mappings and window settings) to me ;-)
      >
      > I agree though, having a built-in setting is the "dream state" everyone aspires
      > to. For me, the current MPage implementation works fine, and the few re-mapped
      > keys don't seem to interfere even with my heavy customization. (But I don't use
      > it that often, so a 80:20 solution may be fine with me.)

      Yes, I like to avoid both to change basic mappings in so hard way and to script
      hooks called so often. I accept them in situations where we don't have other
      option. But this is not that case. Or, at least, I hope so :-)

      My idea is: it seems we have a chance to get this functionality by setting vim
      options ('scrollbind'). Yes, we will still need autocommands - but for the
      change of window size etc., not for the window content sync itself. Much
      better, isn't it?

      The only question is if we can get solution good enough even without any patch
      of vim. I'm not 100% sure, so I "dumped" what I know and asked the others for
      the cooperation.

      Any volunteers?

      Milan