Re: Problems with ASCII art in Vim help files

    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 3, 2010
      Carlo Teubner wrote:

      > There are a couple of places in the Vim help files where ASCII art is
      > used which interacts in a bad way with the interpretation of pipe
      > characters. The ones I've noticed are gui.txt around line 170 and
      > quotes.txt around line 270. In both cases, some of the pipe symbols
      > are interpreted as delimiters of links. Concealing the pipe symbols
      > makes it worse.
      >
      > An easy way around this would be to mark the whole ASCII art as an
      > "example". Perhaps a better way would be to introduce a new syntax
      > element which simply turns off interpretation of help syntax; in other
      > words, an "example" region except that it is not displayed in blue.
      > Does anyone have any other ideas?

      I think it's best to make an item helpGraphic. Like with helpHeader it
      can be recognized by a special character at the end of the line. A
      backtick perhaps?

      syn match helpGraphic ".* \ze`$" nextgroup=helpIgnore

      I made the change for the two places you mention. Any others?

      There was one place where a backtick would disappear, I removed the
      space before it.

      --
      ARTHUR: Did you say shrubberies?
      ROGER: Yes. Shrubberies are my trade. I am a shrubber. My name is Roger