Re: Problems with ASCII art in Vim help files

    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 3, 2010
      Dominique Pelle wrote:

      > Carlo wrote:
      >
      > > There are a couple of places in the Vim help files where ASCII art is
      > > used which interacts in a bad way with the interpretation of pipe
      > > characters. The ones I've noticed are gui.txt around line 170 and
      > > quotes.txt around line 270. In both cases, some of the pipe symbols
      > > are interpreted as delimiters of links. Concealing the pipe symbols
      > > makes it worse.
      > >
      > > An easy way around this would be to mark the whole ASCII art as an
      > > "example". Perhaps a better way would be to introduce a new syntax
      > > element which simply turns off interpretation of help syntax; in other
      > > words, an "example" region except that it is not displayed in blue.
      > > Does anyone have any other ideas?
      > >
      > > Carlo
      >
      > The other places where I notice that conceal messes up
      > alignment in help files are:
      >
      > :help gui-scrollbars
      > :help netrw-externapp
      > :help netrw-browser-options
      > :help tar-options
      >
      > I see that some ASCII arts are already marked as helpExample
      > at least in ":help window-contents".

      I prefer to separate commands from other things. ASCII graphics are not
      commands, I think it's better to highlight them differently. Or not at
      all.

      --
      TALL KNIGHT: We are now no longer the Knights Who Say Ni!
      ONE KNIGHT: Ni!

      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 3, 2010
        Carlo Teubner wrote:

        > There are a couple of places in the Vim help files where ASCII art is
        > used which interacts in a bad way with the interpretation of pipe
        > characters. The ones I've noticed are gui.txt around line 170 and
        > quotes.txt around line 270. In both cases, some of the pipe symbols
        > are interpreted as delimiters of links. Concealing the pipe symbols
        > makes it worse.
        >
        > An easy way around this would be to mark the whole ASCII art as an
        > "example". Perhaps a better way would be to introduce a new syntax
        > element which simply turns off interpretation of help syntax; in other
        > words, an "example" region except that it is not displayed in blue.
        > Does anyone have any other ideas?

        I think it's best to make an item helpGraphic. Like with helpHeader it
        can be recognized by a special character at the end of the line. A
        backtick perhaps?

        syn match helpGraphic ".* \ze`$" nextgroup=helpIgnore

        I made the change for the two places you mention. Any others?

        There was one place where a backtick would disappear, I removed the
        space before it.

        --
        ARTHUR: Did you say shrubberies?
        ROGER: Yes. Shrubberies are my trade. I am a shrubber. My name is Roger