Two up view like in adobe reader

  • gvimk
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 2, 2010
      Hi all,

      Is there a way to do two-up view like in Adobe Reader? If not, please
      accept my enhancement request.

      Thanks,
      Kal

    • Ingo Karkat
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 3, 2010
        On 03-Nov-2010 04:36, gvimk wrote:
        > Hi all,
        >
        > Is there a way to do two-up view like in Adobe Reader? If not, please
        > accept my enhancement request.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Kal

        I think Charles Campbell's MPage plugin is just what you want:

        http://mysite.verizon.net/astronaut/vim/index.html#MPAGE

        -- regards, ingo

      • Milan Vancura
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 3, 2010
          > I think Charles Campbell's MPage plugin is just what you want:
          >
          > http://mysite.verizon.net/astronaut/vim/index.html#MPAGE

          Thank you for the link, Ingo, and for the plugin itself, Dr Chip.
          I tried it and basically it works. But it's done by overkill: manual window
          synchronization by its own vimscript function and calling this function as a
          part of every command moving the window. So every such command must be
          remapped. It may conflict with other remappings, it's hard to catch
          everything (for example charwise and linewise visual blocks does not work in
          mpage'd windows for me) etc.

          True support of synchronized windows would be much better. And we already have
          something very similar if not the same - in diff mode. So the only we need is a
          user interface for using that not only in diff mode but in "mpage mode" as
          well. The option in question is 'scrollbind', for example we can do:

          function SplitView()
          :vsplit
          :wincmd l
          :normal L
          :normal z+
          :wincmd h
          :windo set scrollbind
          :windo set number
          endfunction

          After calling this function the current window is split and new window is
          sync'ed with the old one. This is just the first idea, proof of the concept,
          and it has limits: there is no refresh if window size changes, lines longer
          than one screenline are not handled in any special way etc.

          As I can imagine autocommands on windowsize changed, the main problem is to
          handle display problems (like a line longer than the screenline).

          Is there anyone interested to help with improving this?

          Milan
          --
          Milan Vancura, Prague, Czech Republic, Europe

        • Ingo Karkat
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 3, 2010
            On 03-Nov-2010 12:03, Milan Vancura wrote:
            >> I think Charles Campbell's MPage plugin is just what you want:
            >>
            >> http://mysite.verizon.net/astronaut/vim/index.html#MPAGE
            >
            > Thank you for the link, Ingo, and for the plugin itself, Dr Chip.
            > I tried it and basically it works. But it's done by overkill: manual window
            > synchronization by its own vimscript function and calling this function as a
            > part of every command moving the window. So every such command must be
            > remapped. It may conflict with other remappings, it's hard to catch
            > everything (for example charwise and linewise visual blocks does not work in
            > mpage'd windows for me) etc.
            >
            > True support of synchronized windows would be much better. And we already have
            > something very similar if not the same - in diff mode. So the only we need is a
            > user interface for using that not only in diff mode but in "mpage mode" as
            > well. The option in question is 'scrollbind', for example we can do:
            >
            > function SplitView()
            > :vsplit
            > :wincmd l
            > :normal L
            > :normal z+
            > :wincmd h
            > :windo set scrollbind
            > :windo set number
            > endfunction
            >
            > After calling this function the current window is split and new window is
            > sync'ed with the old one. This is just the first idea, proof of the concept,
            > and it has limits: there is no refresh if window size changes, lines longer
            > than one screenline are not handled in any special way etc.
            >
            > As I can imagine autocommands on windowsize changed, the main problem is to
            > handle display problems (like a line longer than the screenline).
            >
            > Is there anyone interested to help with improving this?

            Well, what you call "overkill" looks like the default Vim extension mechanism
            (i.e. autocmds, mappings and window settings) to me ;-)

            I agree though, having a built-in setting is the "dream state" everyone aspires
            to. For me, the current MPage implementation works fine, and the few re-mapped
            keys don't seem to interfere even with my heavy customization. (But I don't use
            it that often, so a 80:20 solution may be fine with me.)

            -- regards, ingo

          • Milan Vancura
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 5, 2010
              > >> I think Charles Campbell's MPage plugin is just what you want:
              > >>
              > >> http://mysite.verizon.net/astronaut/vim/index.html#MPAGE
              > >
              > > Thank you for the link, Ingo, and for the plugin itself, Dr Chip.
              > > I tried it and basically it works. But it's done by overkill: manual window
              > > synchronization by its own vimscript function and calling this function as a
              > > part of every command moving the window. So every such command must be
              > > remapped. It may conflict with other remappings, it's hard to catch
              > > everything (for example charwise and linewise visual blocks does not work in
              > > mpage'd windows for me) etc.
              > >
              > > True support of synchronized windows would be much better. And we already have
              > > something very similar if not the same - in diff mode. So the only we need is a
              > > user interface for using that not only in diff mode but in "mpage mode" as
              > > well. The option in question is 'scrollbind', for example we can do:
              >
              > Well, what you call "overkill" looks like the default Vim extension mechanism
              > (i.e. autocmds, mappings and window settings) to me ;-)
              >
              > I agree though, having a built-in setting is the "dream state" everyone aspires
              > to. For me, the current MPage implementation works fine, and the few re-mapped
              > keys don't seem to interfere even with my heavy customization. (But I don't use
              > it that often, so a 80:20 solution may be fine with me.)

              Yes, I like to avoid both to change basic mappings in so hard way and to script
              hooks called so often. I accept them in situations where we don't have other
              option. But this is not that case. Or, at least, I hope so :-)

              My idea is: it seems we have a chance to get this functionality by setting vim
              options ('scrollbind'). Yes, we will still need autocommands - but for the
              change of window size etc., not for the window content sync itself. Much
              better, isn't it?

              The only question is if we can get solution good enough even without any patch
              of vim. I'm not 100% sure, so I "dumped" what I know and asked the others for
              the cooperation.

              Any volunteers?

              Milan