Re: Problems with ASCII art in Vim help files

  • Tony Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 2, 2010
      On 01/11/10 23:04, Carlo wrote:
      > There are a couple of places in the Vim help files where ASCII art is
      > used which interacts in a bad way with the interpretation of pipe
      > characters. The ones I've noticed are gui.txt around line 170 and
      > quotes.txt around line 270. In both cases, some of the pipe symbols
      > are interpreted as delimiters of links. Concealing the pipe symbols
      > makes it worse.
      >
      > An easy way around this would be to mark the whole ASCII art as an
      > "example". Perhaps a better way would be to introduce a new syntax
      > element which simply turns off interpretation of help syntax; in other
      > words, an "example" region except that it is not displayed in blue.
      > Does anyone have any other ideas?
      >
      > Carlo

      I happen to be immune to the "conceal" problem because quite some time
      ago I decided that I preferred the "old-style" links, showing the bars:

      " do not make help bars and stars invisible
      hi clear helpBar
      hi link helpBar helpHyperTextJump
      hi clear helpStar
      hi link helpStar helpHyperTextEntry

      ...and I don't use the conceal option ('conceallevel' remains at its
      default of zero). Of course this might not suit you.

      Why not turn it blue? These are, after all, "illustrations", and not
      meant to be shown in polychrome; blue-on-white is just as good for them
      (IMHO) as black-on-white.

      You're never too old to become younger.
      -- Mae West

    • Dominique PellĂ©
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 2, 2010
        Carlo wrote:

        > There are a couple of places in the Vim help files where ASCII art is
        > used which interacts in a bad way with the interpretation of pipe
        > characters. The ones I've noticed are gui.txt around line 170 and
        > quotes.txt around line 270. In both cases, some of the pipe symbols
        > are interpreted as delimiters of links. Concealing the pipe symbols
        > makes it worse.
        >
        > An easy way around this would be to mark the whole ASCII art as an
        > "example". Perhaps a better way would be to introduce a new syntax
        > element which simply turns off interpretation of help syntax; in other
        > words, an "example" region except that it is not displayed in blue.
        > Does anyone have any other ideas?
        >
        > Carlo

        The other places where I notice that conceal messes up
        alignment in help files are:

        :help gui-scrollbars
        :help netrw-externapp
        :help netrw-browser-options
        :help tar-options

        I see that some ASCII arts are already marked as helpExample
        at least in ":help window-contents".

        Regards
        -- Dominique

        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 3, 2010
          Dominique Pelle wrote:

          > Carlo wrote:
          >
          > > There are a couple of places in the Vim help files where ASCII art is
          > > used which interacts in a bad way with the interpretation of pipe
          > > characters. The ones I've noticed are gui.txt around line 170 and
          > > quotes.txt around line 270. In both cases, some of the pipe symbols
          > > are interpreted as delimiters of links. Concealing the pipe symbols
          > > makes it worse.
          > >
          > > An easy way around this would be to mark the whole ASCII art as an
          > > "example". Perhaps a better way would be to introduce a new syntax
          > > element which simply turns off interpretation of help syntax; in other
          > > words, an "example" region except that it is not displayed in blue.
          > > Does anyone have any other ideas?
          > >
          > > Carlo
          >
          > The other places where I notice that conceal messes up
          > alignment in help files are:
          >
          > :help gui-scrollbars
          > :help netrw-externapp
          > :help netrw-browser-options
          > :help tar-options
          >
          > I see that some ASCII arts are already marked as helpExample
          > at least in ":help window-contents".

          I prefer to separate commands from other things. ASCII graphics are not
          commands, I think it's better to highlight them differently. Or not at
          all.

          --
          TALL KNIGHT: We are now no longer the Knights Who Say Ni!
          ONE KNIGHT: Ni!

          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 3, 2010
            Carlo Teubner wrote:

            > There are a couple of places in the Vim help files where ASCII art is
            > used which interacts in a bad way with the interpretation of pipe
            > characters. The ones I've noticed are gui.txt around line 170 and
            > quotes.txt around line 270. In both cases, some of the pipe symbols
            > are interpreted as delimiters of links. Concealing the pipe symbols
            > makes it worse.
            >
            > An easy way around this would be to mark the whole ASCII art as an
            > "example". Perhaps a better way would be to introduce a new syntax
            > element which simply turns off interpretation of help syntax; in other
            > words, an "example" region except that it is not displayed in blue.
            > Does anyone have any other ideas?

            I think it's best to make an item helpGraphic. Like with helpHeader it
            can be recognized by a special character at the end of the line. A
            backtick perhaps?

            syn match helpGraphic ".* \ze`$" nextgroup=helpIgnore

            I made the change for the two places you mention. Any others?

            There was one place where a backtick would disappear, I removed the
            space before it.

            --
            ARTHUR: Did you say shrubberies?
            ROGER: Yes. Shrubberies are my trade. I am a shrubber. My name is Roger