Re: Proposal: new options for 'vertical' and 'horizontal' splits by default

  • Kartik Agaram
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 4, 2010
      > This option already exists for :diff. :set diffopt+=vertical or :set
      > diffopt+=horizontal. This will probably have some weird interactions
      > with your patch (I have not tried it).

      Not my patch but Christian Brabandt's :)

      Thanks for the tip. I just tested it and splitvertical trumps diffopt
      horizontal so far. Is that right? Perhaps the configuration for a
      specific mode should trump the global setting.

      This has now put me over the edge to keeping a list of bugs about this
      issue as we find them:
      http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/User:Kartik_Agaram
      (I wanted it to be in 'vim space', a wiki so anybody could easily
      modify the list, and super lightweight so you didn't have to create an
      account or login or *anything* to do so.)

      Can anybody else think of options that affect split direction in vim?

    • Christian Brabandt
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 6, 2010
        Hi Kartik!

        On So, 03 Okt 2010, Kartik Agaram wrote:
        > >> Bram decides what will be included in vim. He might comment on the patch
        > >> and then it may or may not be included in Vim. I don't know.
        > >
        > > Just FYI, I made a couple of tweaks to syntax/vim.vim to include 6
        > > variants of splitvertical as keywords.
        >
        > After using splitvertical for a few weeks I find myself wanting a
        > :horizontal corresponding to the :vertical command, just for those
        > times I want a horizontal split. Should I just post an updated patch
        > on the mailing list?

        Attaching updated version of the patch. Contains these improvements:
        - implements :hor[izontal] command (now :hor vsp and :sp are
        effectively the same)
        - Quickfix and Commandwindow are not affected by 'splitvertical' (I
        found that really annoying)
        - added documentation for :horizontal and 'splitvertical'
        - 'splitvertical' does not interfere with 'diffoptions' anymore
        - syntax highlighting for vim script items
        (I know this file is auto generated, but I don't know how?)

        Caveats: This won't probably be included in Vim 7.3 as Bram told me.
        Maybe with Vim 7.4

        regards,
        Christian

      • Kartik Agaram
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 19, 2010
          Thanks a lot for this patch[1], Christian! I've been using it for a
          few weeks now and it's been working absolutely great. It's also
          eliminated almost 200 lines from my vimrc.

          Today I discovered a new keyboard shortcut: C-w C-s to split
          (circuitously via http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=1807008). I was
          going to report it here, but you'd gotten there before me.

          One further bug report: :diffsplit, :diffthis and :diffpatch don't
          respect 'splitvertical'.

          Many thanks,
          Kartik

          [1] https://groups.google.com/group/vim_dev/msg/679fee5026967b82

        • Christian Brabandt
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 19, 2010
            Hi Kartik!

            On Di, 19 Okt 2010, Kartik Agaram wrote:

            > Thanks a lot for this patch[1], Christian! I've been using it for a
            > few weeks now and it's been working absolutely great. It's also
            > eliminated almost 200 lines from my vimrc.
            >
            > Today I discovered a new keyboard shortcut: C-w C-s to split
            > (circuitously via http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=1807008). I was
            > going to report it here, but you'd gotten there before me.

            No I haven't done anything there. But I don't understand that page. It
            refers to a graphical representation of the undotree. Though I also
            created the histwin plugin, which is similar

            > One further bug report: :diffsplit, :diffthis and :diffpatch don't
            > respect 'splitvertical'.

            That was on purpose. For those the 'diffopt' settings apply.

            regards,
            Christian

          • Kartik Agaram
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 19, 2010
              >> Today I discovered a new keyboard shortcut: C-w C-s to split
              >
              > No I haven't done anything there.

              My reference to undotree was only marginally relevant. I was just
              saying that C-w C-s splits vertically as it should, and its
              documentation refers to splitvertical as well. So you were way ahead
              of me :)

              >> One further bug report: :diffsplit, :diffthis and :diffpatch don't
              >> respect 'splitvertical'.
              >
              > That was on purpose. For those the 'diffopt' settings apply.

              Ah. Perhaps diffopt should override splitvertical only if it's set?

            • Christian Brabandt
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 19, 2010
                Hi Kartik!

                On Di, 19 Okt 2010, Kartik Agaram wrote:

                > My reference to undotree was only marginally relevant. I was just
                > saying that C-w C-s splits vertically as it should, and its
                > documentation refers to splitvertical as well. So you were way ahead
                > of me :)
                >
                > >> One further bug report: :diffsplit, :diffthis and :diffpatch don't
                > >> respect 'splitvertical'.
                > >
                > > That was on purpose. For those the 'diffopt' settings apply.
                >
                > Ah. Perhaps diffopt should override splitvertical only if it's set?

                I think, this would make it more complex. I'd like to keep it clean and
                don't want to depend one option on another one.

                regards,
                Christian