Re: Proposal: new options for 'vertical' and 'horizontal' splits by default

  • Ben Fritz
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 4, 2010
      On Sep 23, 4:30 pm, Kartik Agaram <a...@...> wrote:
      > I've been thinking about adding two options to vim:
      >   :set horizontal [default]
      >   :set vertical
      >
      > What they would do is set the default split orientation for commands
      > like C-w C-] (http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.editors.vim/48415), :diff
      > and so on.

      This option already exists for :diff. :set diffopt+=vertical or :set
      diffopt+=horizontal. This will probably have some weird interactions
      with your patch (I have not tried it).

    • Kartik Agaram
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 4, 2010
        > This option already exists for :diff. :set diffopt+=vertical or :set
        > diffopt+=horizontal. This will probably have some weird interactions
        > with your patch (I have not tried it).

        Not my patch but Christian Brabandt's :)

        Thanks for the tip. I just tested it and splitvertical trumps diffopt
        horizontal so far. Is that right? Perhaps the configuration for a
        specific mode should trump the global setting.

        This has now put me over the edge to keeping a list of bugs about this
        issue as we find them:
        http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/User:Kartik_Agaram
        (I wanted it to be in 'vim space', a wiki so anybody could easily
        modify the list, and super lightweight so you didn't have to create an
        account or login or *anything* to do so.)

        Can anybody else think of options that affect split direction in vim?

      • Christian Brabandt
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 6, 2010
          Hi Kartik!

          On So, 03 Okt 2010, Kartik Agaram wrote:
          > >> Bram decides what will be included in vim. He might comment on the patch
          > >> and then it may or may not be included in Vim. I don't know.
          > >
          > > Just FYI, I made a couple of tweaks to syntax/vim.vim to include 6
          > > variants of splitvertical as keywords.
          >
          > After using splitvertical for a few weeks I find myself wanting a
          > :horizontal corresponding to the :vertical command, just for those
          > times I want a horizontal split. Should I just post an updated patch
          > on the mailing list?

          Attaching updated version of the patch. Contains these improvements:
          - implements :hor[izontal] command (now :hor vsp and :sp are
          effectively the same)
          - Quickfix and Commandwindow are not affected by 'splitvertical' (I
          found that really annoying)
          - added documentation for :horizontal and 'splitvertical'
          - 'splitvertical' does not interfere with 'diffoptions' anymore
          - syntax highlighting for vim script items
          (I know this file is auto generated, but I don't know how?)

          Caveats: This won't probably be included in Vim 7.3 as Bram told me.
          Maybe with Vim 7.4

          regards,
          Christian

        • Kartik Agaram
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 19, 2010
            Thanks a lot for this patch[1], Christian! I've been using it for a
            few weeks now and it's been working absolutely great. It's also
            eliminated almost 200 lines from my vimrc.

            Today I discovered a new keyboard shortcut: C-w C-s to split
            (circuitously via http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=1807008). I was
            going to report it here, but you'd gotten there before me.

            One further bug report: :diffsplit, :diffthis and :diffpatch don't
            respect 'splitvertical'.

            Many thanks,
            Kartik

            [1] https://groups.google.com/group/vim_dev/msg/679fee5026967b82

          • Christian Brabandt
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 19, 2010
              Hi Kartik!

              On Di, 19 Okt 2010, Kartik Agaram wrote:

              > Thanks a lot for this patch[1], Christian! I've been using it for a
              > few weeks now and it's been working absolutely great. It's also
              > eliminated almost 200 lines from my vimrc.
              >
              > Today I discovered a new keyboard shortcut: C-w C-s to split
              > (circuitously via http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=1807008). I was
              > going to report it here, but you'd gotten there before me.

              No I haven't done anything there. But I don't understand that page. It
              refers to a graphical representation of the undotree. Though I also
              created the histwin plugin, which is similar

              > One further bug report: :diffsplit, :diffthis and :diffpatch don't
              > respect 'splitvertical'.

              That was on purpose. For those the 'diffopt' settings apply.

              regards,
              Christian

            • Kartik Agaram
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 19, 2010
                >> Today I discovered a new keyboard shortcut: C-w C-s to split
                >
                > No I haven't done anything there.

                My reference to undotree was only marginally relevant. I was just
                saying that C-w C-s splits vertically as it should, and its
                documentation refers to splitvertical as well. So you were way ahead
                of me :)

                >> One further bug report: :diffsplit, :diffthis and :diffpatch don't
                >> respect 'splitvertical'.
                >
                > That was on purpose. For those the 'diffopt' settings apply.

                Ah. Perhaps diffopt should override splitvertical only if it's set?

              • Christian Brabandt
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 19, 2010
                  Hi Kartik!

                  On Di, 19 Okt 2010, Kartik Agaram wrote:

                  > My reference to undotree was only marginally relevant. I was just
                  > saying that C-w C-s splits vertically as it should, and its
                  > documentation refers to splitvertical as well. So you were way ahead
                  > of me :)
                  >
                  > >> One further bug report: :diffsplit, :diffthis and :diffpatch don't
                  > >> respect 'splitvertical'.
                  > >
                  > > That was on purpose. For those the 'diffopt' settings apply.
                  >
                  > Ah. Perhaps diffopt should override splitvertical only if it's set?

                  I think, this would make it more complex. I'd like to keep it clean and
                  don't want to depend one option on another one.

                  regards,
                  Christian