Re: http://vimhelp.appspot.com/

  • Ben Fritz
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 4, 2010
      On Oct 3, 12:06 pm, Carlo <carlo.teub...@...> wrote:
      > Sorry, I sent that off too early. To elaborate:
      >
      > * It's built on Google App Engine
      > * It regularly retrieves the latest doc files fromhttp://vim.googlecode.com/hg/runtime/doc/and processes them
      > * The Google custom search it uses doesn't work, presumably since
      > Google hasn't indexed the contents yet
      >
      > Please let me know any feedback. I'm going to hold off advertising its
      > existence more widely (i.e. vim_use list) for now.
      >
      > Bram, let me know if you approve of this or would like any changes to
      > it. Everyone else, hope you like it.

      Compare the main page of vimhelp.appspot.com to the main page of
      vimdoc.sourceforge.net/htmldoc/

      I notice that on vimhelp.appspot.com, the CTRL-D, CTRL-T, CTRL-O, etc.
      are all nicely colored, indicating that something is recognized as
      special about them, but that is all. On sourceforge, these are all
      links. Although the sourceforge docs are not colored, I find them more
      useful in this specific case. Is this something that can be fixed?

      You have a good idea of an automatic update mechanism, certainly. I
      find that out-of-data help files online can be very annoying.

    • Carlo
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 6, 2010
        On 4 Oct, 14:34, Ben Fritz <fritzophre...@...> wrote:
        > On Oct 3, 12:06 pm, Carlo <carlo.teub...@...> wrote:
        >
        > > Sorry, I sent that off too early. To elaborate:
        >
        > > * It's built on Google App Engine
        > > * It regularly retrieves the latest doc files fromhttp://vim.googlecode.com/hg/runtime/doc/andprocesses them
        > > * The Google custom search it uses doesn't work, presumably since
        > > Google hasn't indexed the contents yet
        >
        > > Please let me know any feedback. I'm going to hold off advertising its
        > > existence more widely (i.e. vim_use list) for now.
        >
        > > Bram, let me know if you approve of this or would like any changes to
        > > it. Everyone else, hope you like it.
        >
        > Compare the main page of vimhelp.appspot.com to the main page of
        > vimdoc.sourceforge.net/htmldoc/
        >
        > I notice that on vimhelp.appspot.com, the CTRL-D, CTRL-T, CTRL-O, etc.
        > are all nicely colored, indicating that something is recognized as
        > special about them, but that is all. On sourceforge, these are all
        > links. Although the sourceforge docs are not colored, I find them more
        > useful in this specific case. Is this something that can be fixed?

        Fixed now for CTRL-sequences and some other miscellaneous cases.
        Although it's true that the way that vimdoc.sf.net links absolutely
        everything that is linkable has its advantages. Perhaps I will
        experiment later on with making more things links, without making them
        stand out too much from the other text.

        Regarding Bram's comment, I've also added some quick links to the top
        and bottom of each page.

        > You have a good idea of an automatic update mechanism, certainly. I
        > find that out-of-data help files online can be very annoying.

        Thanks. To respond to Bram's query on this: I've got an hourly cronjob
        that downloads http://vim.googlecode.com/hg/runtime/doc/ and all .txt
        files listed there. (It uses the HTTP "ETag" cacheing mechanism to
        minimise traffic, and to notice when files haven't changed.) It then
        generates the HTML-ified versions.

        By the way, the site search works now.

        Carlo

        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 8, 2010
          Carlo Teubner wrote:

          > On 4 Oct, 14:34, Ben Fritz <fritzophre...@...> wrote:
          > > On Oct 3, 12:06 pm, Carlo <carlo.teub...@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > > Sorry, I sent that off too early. To elaborate:
          > >
          > > > * It's built on Google App Engine
          > > > * It regularly retrieves the latest doc files fromhttp://vim.googlecode.com/hg/runtime/doc/andprocesses them
          > > > * The Google custom search it uses doesn't work, presumably since
          > > > Google hasn't indexed the contents yet
          > >
          > > > Please let me know any feedback. I'm going to hold off advertising its
          > > > existence more widely (i.e. vim_use list) for now.
          > >
          > > > Bram, let me know if you approve of this or would like any changes to
          > > > it. Everyone else, hope you like it.
          > >
          > > Compare the main page of vimhelp.appspot.com to the main page of
          > > vimdoc.sourceforge.net/htmldoc/
          > >
          > > I notice that on vimhelp.appspot.com, the CTRL-D, CTRL-T, CTRL-O, etc.
          > > are all nicely colored, indicating that something is recognized as
          > > special about them, but that is all. On sourceforge, these are all
          > > links. Although the sourceforge docs are not colored, I find them more
          > > useful in this specific case. Is this something that can be fixed?
          >
          > Fixed now for CTRL-sequences and some other miscellaneous cases.
          > Although it's true that the way that vimdoc.sf.net links absolutely
          > everything that is linkable has its advantages. Perhaps I will
          > experiment later on with making more things links, without making them
          > stand out too much from the other text.
          >
          > Regarding Bram's comment, I've also added some quick links to the top
          > and bottom of each page.
          >
          > > You have a good idea of an automatic update mechanism, certainly. I
          > > find that out-of-data help files online can be very annoying.
          >
          > Thanks. To respond to Bram's query on this: I've got an hourly cronjob
          > that downloads http://vim.googlecode.com/hg/runtime/doc/ and all .txt
          > files listed there. (It uses the HTTP "ETag" cacheing mechanism to
          > minimise traffic, and to notice when files haven't changed.) It then
          > generates the HTML-ified versions.
          >
          > By the way, the site search works now.

          Thanks, the pages look good now, the links at the top are very useful.

          Search still doesn't work for me.

          250. You've given up the search for the "perfect woman" and instead,
          sit in front of the PC until you're just too tired to care.

        • Carlo Teubner
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 18, 2010
            Just a brief update: the site has seen a few improvements, notably
            everything that can be is now linked; although words that are not
            highlighted are not in any way marked as a link, except when you
            mouse-over. I thought this is an acceptable compromise between
            usability and looks. Also it mirrors the way the help files look
            within Vim. Finally, the Googlebots now appear to have made up their
            hivemind to index the whole site, so the custom search is now working
            properly.

            I'd be grateful for reports of any problems with the site, e.g.
            whether it looks bad in certain browsers, since I haven't tested it
            very much across browsers.

            Carlo

          • Ben Fritz
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 18, 2010
              On Oct 18, 4:43 pm, Carlo Teubner <carlo.teub...@...> wrote:

              > I'd be grateful for reports of any problems with the site, e.g.
              > whether it looks bad in certain browsers, since I haven't tested it
              > very much across browsers.

              This page looks pretty terrible in Opera, Safari, Chrome, and IE8:

              http://vimhelp.appspot.com/options.txt.html

              The entire page is shifted left off the screen, and does not allow
              scrolling to see the content. In Opera I can use the "fit page to
              width" feature or disable CSS to view it but I think something is
              wrong with the CSS. I apparently do not have Firefox installed on this
              computer (I thought I did, not sure what happened there) so I did not
              look on Firefox.

            • Christian J. Robinson
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 18, 2010
                On Mon, 18 Oct 2010, Ben Fritz wrote:

                > This page looks pretty terrible in Opera, Safari, Chrome, and IE8:
                >
                > http://vimhelp.appspot.com/options.txt.html
                >
                > [...] I apparently do not have Firefox installed on this computer (I
                > thought I did, not sure what happened there) so I did not look on
                > Firefox.

                It looks fine in my Firefox, but you're right, it's definitely
                rendering badly in Opera. It shows the same problem in Konqueror
                3.5.4.

                - Christian

                --
                If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can
                solve them. -- Isaac Asimov

              • Benjamin R. Haskell
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 18, 2010
                  On Mon, 18 Oct 2010, Ben Fritz wrote:

                  > On Oct 18, 4:43 pm, Carlo Teubner wrote:
                  >>
                  >> I'd be grateful for reports of any problems with the site, e.g.
                  >> whether it looks bad in certain browsers, since I haven't tested it
                  >> very much across browsers.
                  >>

                  > This page looks pretty terrible in Opera, Safari, Chrome, and IE8:
                  >
                  > http://vimhelp.appspot.com/options.txt.html
                  >
                  > The entire page is shifted left off the screen, and does not allow
                  > scrolling to see the content. In Opera I can use the "fit page to
                  > width" feature or disable CSS to view it but I think something is
                  > wrong with the CSS. I apparently do not have Firefox installed on this
                  > computer (I thought I did, not sure what happened there) so I did not
                  > look on Firefox.

                  It's the fact that the outermost content <div> has a style of:
                  float: left; position: relative; left: 50%
                  And the next nested <div> has a style of:
                  float: left; position: relative; left: -50%

                  The inner div containing most of the page's content gets pushed off to
                  the left. If you decrease the size of the browser window, you can
                  actually push it all the way off the left side.

                  I'm not sure what the positive-percentage left offset paired with the
                  identical-but-negative-percentage left offset is supposed to accomplish,
                  but it doesn't seem to work with the floated divs. May as well not use
                  it, as I don't think Firefox's rendering is correct, anyway. (Seems
                  like there should be widths specified on one or both of the divs for the
                  relative percentages to be useful.)

                  --
                  Best,
                  Ben

                • Antonio Colombo
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 19, 2010
                    Hi everybody,

                    the problem is that the "options.txt" page
                    contains a single very long line, line # 4334.
                    This should be taken care of, either with some
                    "ad hoc" code or with a general solution.

                    Antonio
                    --
                    /||\ | Antonio Colombo
                    / || \ | antonio@...

                  • Bee
                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 19, 2010
                      On Oct 19, 12:02 am, "Antonio Colombo" <azc...@...> wrote:
                      > the problem is that the "options.txt" page
                      > contains a single very long line, line # 4334.

                      I copied the html and css files to my Mac and removed the two div's
                      with the 50% and -50%, it then displays beautifully in Safari and
                      Firefox, EVEN with that long line.

                      What is the intent of those div's?

                      -Bill

                    • Carlo
                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 31, 2010
                        The two divs are there to make the <pre> block centered, while keeping
                        the text itself left-aligned. I got this trick from
                        http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1269589/css-center-block-but-left-align-contents
                        Admittedly I'm not very experienced with CSS so this might not be the
                        best way of doing it.

                        I've fixed the issue with overlong lines like in options.txt with some
                        more CSS trickery. I've tested it in latest Firefox, Opera, Chrome and
                        IE and it looks fine; haven't tested older browsers.

                        Also, non-ASCII characters like on that very long line in options.txt
                        should now display fine in all browsers (I had to mark the content as
                        UTF-8 in the HTTP headers).

                        The source code is available at http://github.com/c4rlo/vimhelp,
                        including the Google App Engine config files.

                        Let me know if anyone still sees any problems.

                        Thanks,
                        Carlo

                        On 19 Oct, 19:36, Bee <beeyaw...@...> wrote:
                        > On Oct 19, 12:02 am, "Antonio Colombo" <azc...@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > > the problem is that the "options.txt" page
                        > > contains a single very long line, line # 4334.
                        >
                        > I copied the html and css files to my Mac and removed the two div's
                        > with the 50% and -50%, it then displays beautifully in Safari and
                        > Firefox, EVEN with that long line.
                        >
                        > What is the intent of those div's?
                        >
                        > -Bill

                      • Ben Fritz
                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 31, 2010
                          On Oct 31, 7:07 am, Carlo <carlo.teub...@...> wrote:
                          > I've fixed the issue with overlong lines like in options.txt with some
                          > more CSS trickery. I've tested it in latest Firefox, Opera, Chrome and
                          > IE and it looks fine; haven't tested older browsers.

                          Nicely done, it looks much better.

                          > Let me know if anyone still sees any problems.

                          Only minor ones. There is a horizontal scrollbar present even though
                          there does not seem to be any content to scroll to. Also, it doesn't
                          validate.

                          http://validator.w3.org/