Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.
 

Re: Two Typos in the Vim FAQ ( http://vimdoc.sourceforge.net/htmldoc/vimfaq.html )

Expand Messages
  • Kazuo Teramoto
    ... What about putting it on http://github.com ? The advantage is that is easy for other people to maintain, as they only need to clone it and send you a patch
    Message 1 of 22 , Oct 3, 2010
      On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 4:56 AM, John Beckett <johnb.beckett@...> wrote:
      > Is there anything wrong with sourceforge.net/htmldoc apart from
      > your desire to get other people involved in maintenance of the FAQ?

      What about putting it on http://github.com ? The advantage is that is
      easy for other people to maintain, as they only need to clone it and
      send you a patch (and if you dont want to continue someone can fork
      it)

      I know that github.com support markdown (i.e. if you have a README if
      markdown syntax its get rendered as html). But don't know how large it
      can be.

      --
      «Dans la vie, rien n'est à craindre, tout est à comprendre»
      Marie Sklodowska Curie.

      --
      You received this message from the "vim_dev" maillist.
      Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
      For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
    • Christian Brabandt
      Hi Kazuo! ... I already put my work on github: http://www.github.com/chrisbra/vim_faq regards, Christian -- You received this message from the vim_dev
      Message 2 of 22 , Oct 3, 2010
        Hi Kazuo!

        On So, 03 Okt 2010, Kazuo Teramoto wrote:

        > On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 4:56 AM, John Beckett <johnb.beckett@...> wrote:
        > > Is there anything wrong with sourceforge.net/htmldoc apart from
        > > your desire to get other people involved in maintenance of the FAQ?
        >
        > What about putting it on http://github.com ? The advantage is that is
        > easy for other people to maintain, as they only need to clone it and
        > send you a patch (and if you dont want to continue someone can fork
        > it)
        >
        > I know that github.com support markdown (i.e. if you have a README if
        > markdown syntax its get rendered as html). But don't know how large it
        > can be.

        I already put my work on github:
        http://www.github.com/chrisbra/vim_faq

        regards,
        Christian

        --
        You received this message from the "vim_dev" maillist.
        Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
        For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
      • Shlomi Fish
        Hi Yegappan! I haven t got an acknowldegment for you that you have received and applied the corrections I ve given you for your copy of vimfaq, after my
        Message 3 of 22 , Oct 8, 2010
          Hi Yegappan!

          I haven't got an acknowldegment for you that you have received and applied the
          corrections I've given you for your copy of vimfaq, after my initial report.
          Can you acknowledge it?

          Regards,

          Shlomi Fish

          On Saturday 02 October 2010 21:52:25 Shlomi Fish wrote:
          > On Wednesday 22 September 2010 15:27:54 Shlomi Fish wrote:
          > > On Wednesday 22 September 2010 15:15:29 Shlomi Fish wrote:
          > > > Hi Yegappan,
          > > >
          > > > I found another typo:
          > > >
          > > > {{{
          > > > 12.10. How do I delete all the lines in a file that does not contain a
          > > >
          > > > pattern?
          > > >
          > > > }}}
          > > >
          > > > Since "lines" it plural "that does not" should be "that do not". The
          > > > same typo also appears in the following paragraph.
          > >
          > > And here's another one:
          > >
          > > {{{
          > > How do I insert the name of current file into the current buffer?
          > > }}}
          > >
          > > s/current file/the current file/
          >
          > Here are some more:
          >
          > {{{
          > You can also use the following command to set a option locally:
          > }}}
          >
          > "a option" ==> "an option".
          >
          > {{{
          > 20.2. How do list all the user-defined key mappings?
          > }}}
          >
          > "How do" ==> "How do I"
          >
          > {{{
          > You can use the FileChangedRO autocommand event to execute a command when a
          > read-only file modified.
          > }}}
          >
          > "modified" ==> "is modified" or "was modified".
          >
          > {{{
          > You can use VimLeave autocmd event to execute a function just before Vim
          > exists. For example,
          > }}}
          >
          > s/exists/exits/ .
          >
          > Regards,
          >
          > Shlomi Fish

          --
          -----------------------------------------------------------------
          Shlomi Fish http://www.shlomifish.org/
          List of Portability Libraries - http://shlom.in/port-libs

          <rindolf> She's a hot chick. But she smokes.
          <go|dfish> She can smoke as long as she's smokin'.

          Please reply to list if it's a mailing list post - http://shlom.in/reply .

          --
          You received this message from the "vim_dev" maillist.
          Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
          For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
        • Yegappan Lakshmanan
          Hi, ... I have corrected the typos mentioned below in my local copy of the Vim FAQ. I will pass this onto Christine, so that we can check it into github. -
          Message 4 of 22 , Oct 8, 2010
            Hi,

            On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 9:06 AM, Shlomi Fish <shlomif@...> wrote:
            > Hi Yegappan!
            >
            > I haven't got an acknowldegment for you that you have received and applied the
            > corrections I've given you for your copy of vimfaq, after my initial report.
            > Can you acknowledge it?
            >

            I have corrected the typos mentioned below in my local copy of the Vim FAQ.
            I will pass this onto Christine, so that we can check it into github.

            - Yegappan

            >
            > Regards,
            >
            >        Shlomi Fish
            >
            > On Saturday 02 October 2010 21:52:25 Shlomi Fish wrote:
            >> On Wednesday 22 September 2010 15:27:54 Shlomi Fish wrote:
            >> > On Wednesday 22 September 2010 15:15:29 Shlomi Fish wrote:
            >> > > Hi Yegappan,
            >> > >
            >> > > I found another typo:
            >> > >
            >> > > {{{
            >> > > 12.10. How do I delete all the lines in a file that does not contain a
            >> > >
            >> > >        pattern?
            >> > >
            >> > > }}}
            >> > >
            >> > > Since "lines" it plural "that does not" should be "that do not". The
            >> > > same typo also appears in the following paragraph.
            >> >
            >> > And here's another one:
            >> >
            >> > {{{
            >> > How do I insert the name of current file into the current buffer?
            >> > }}}
            >> >
            >> > s/current file/the current file/
            >>
            >> Here are some more:
            >>
            >> {{{
            >> You can also use the following command to set a option locally:
            >> }}}
            >>
            >> "a option" ==> "an option".
            >>
            >> {{{
            >> 20.2. How do list all the user-defined key mappings?
            >> }}}
            >>
            >> "How do" ==> "How do I"
            >>
            >> {{{
            >> You can use the FileChangedRO autocommand event to execute a command when a
            >> read-only file modified.
            >> }}}
            >>
            >> "modified" ==> "is modified" or "was modified".
            >>
            >> {{{
            >> You can use VimLeave autocmd event to execute a function just before Vim
            >> exists. For example,
            >> }}}
            >>
            >> s/exists/exits/ .
            >>
            >> Regards,
            >>
            >>       Shlomi Fish
            >

            --
            You received this message from the "vim_dev" maillist.
            Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
            For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
          • Carlo
            ... Regarding the issue of converting to HTML and hosting, how about using the script I m using at http://vimhelp.appspot.com? (See my thread about that.) It s
            Message 5 of 22 , Oct 8, 2010
              > On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 9:06 AM, Shlomi Fish <shlo...@...> wrote:
              > > Hi Yegappan!
              >
              > > I haven't got an acknowldegment for you that you have received and applied the
              > > corrections I've given you for your copy of vimfaq, after my initial report.
              > > Can you acknowledge it?
              >
              > I have corrected the typos mentioned below in my local copy of the Vim FAQ.
              > I will pass this onto Christine, so that we can check it into github.

              Regarding the issue of converting to HTML and hosting, how about using
              the script I'm using at http://vimhelp.appspot.com? (See my thread
              about that.) It's a Python script which converts from the vim help
              format to HTML. It's still evolving; I'm eventually going to put it up
              on github.

              In fact, it would perhaps make some sense to host the FAQ at
              vimhelp.appspot.com together with the official help files, so that it
              can contain links to to them. And if the FAQ is hosted at github, then
              I can regularly pull in the latest changes via cronjob, just like I'm
              already doing for the official help files. Just a thought...

              Carlo

              --
              You received this message from the "vim_dev" maillist.
              Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
              For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
            • Christian Brabandt
              Hi Yegappan! ... s/Christine/Christian I have setup a github repository at http://github.com/chrisbra/vim_faq which includes the faq (plus the mentioned fixes
              Message 6 of 22 , Oct 26, 2010
                Hi Yegappan!

                On Fr, 08 Okt 2010, Yegappan Lakshmanan wrote:

                > On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 9:06 AM, Shlomi Fish <shlomif@...> wrote:
                > I have corrected the typos mentioned below in my local copy of the Vim FAQ.
                > I will pass this onto Christine, so that we can check it into github.

                s/Christine/Christian

                I have setup a github repository at http://github.com/chrisbra/vim_faq
                which includes the faq (plus the mentioned fixes in this thread, plus
                some questions, that were recently asked on vim-use).

                And while I was creating the repository I went ahead and made a plugin,
                that can be downloaded from
                http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=3298 and contains only
                the faq in vim help format

                Anybody that wants to have access, please notify me. I can give you
                access to the repository.

                regards,
                Christian

                --
                You received this message from the "vim_dev" maillist.
                Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
                For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
              • Dominique Pellé
                ... Thanks Christian Attached patch fixes a few more typos in vim_faq.txt Cheers -- Dominique -- You received this message from the vim_dev maillist. Do not
                Message 7 of 22 , Oct 26, 2010
                  Christian Brabandt <cblists@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Yegappan!
                  >
                  > On Fr, 08 Okt 2010, Yegappan Lakshmanan wrote:
                  >
                  >> On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 9:06 AM, Shlomi Fish <shlomif@...> wrote:
                  >> I have corrected the typos mentioned below in my local copy of the Vim FAQ.
                  >> I will pass this onto Christine, so that we can check it into github.
                  >
                  > s/Christine/Christian
                  >
                  > I have setup a github repository at http://github.com/chrisbra/vim_faq
                  > which includes the faq (plus the mentioned fixes in this thread, plus
                  > some questions, that were recently asked on vim-use).
                  >
                  > And while I was creating the repository I went ahead and made a plugin,
                  > that can be downloaded from
                  > http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=3298 and contains only
                  > the faq in vim help format
                  >
                  > Anybody that wants to have access, please notify me. I can give you
                  > access to the repository.
                  >
                  > regards,
                  > Christian

                  Thanks Christian

                  Attached patch fixes a few more typos in vim_faq.txt

                  Cheers
                  -- Dominique

                  --
                  You received this message from the "vim_dev" maillist.
                  Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
                  For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
                • Yegappan Lakshmanan
                  Hi, ... Sorry about that. ... Thanks for doing this. - Yegappan ... -- You received this message from the vim_dev maillist. Do not top-post! Type your reply
                  Message 8 of 22 , Oct 27, 2010
                    Hi,

                    On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 2:08 PM, Christian Brabandt <cblists@...> wrote:
                    > Hi Yegappan!
                    >
                    > On Fr, 08 Okt 2010, Yegappan Lakshmanan wrote:
                    >
                    >> On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 9:06 AM, Shlomi Fish <shlomif@...> wrote:
                    >> I have corrected the typos mentioned below in my local copy of the Vim FAQ.
                    >> I will pass this onto Christine, so that we can check it into github.
                    >
                    > s/Christine/Christian
                    >

                    Sorry about that.

                    >
                    > I have setup a github repository at http://github.com/chrisbra/vim_faq
                    > which includes the faq (plus the mentioned fixes in this thread, plus
                    > some questions, that were recently asked on vim-use).
                    >

                    Thanks for doing this.

                    - Yegappan

                    >
                    > And while I was creating the repository I went ahead and made a plugin,
                    > that can be downloaded from
                    > http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=3298 and contains only
                    > the faq in vim help format
                    >
                    > Anybody that wants to have access, please notify me. I can give you
                    > access to the repository.
                    >
                    > regards,
                    > Christian
                    >

                    --
                    You received this message from the "vim_dev" maillist.
                    Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
                    For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
                  Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.