Re: Vim 7.3a ready for beta testing

  • Ben Fritz
    Message 1 of 28 , Sep 8, 2010
      On Sep 7, 10:26 pm, David Wilhelm <dewilh...@...> wrote:
      > > The reason people write Javascript is because it's the only choice for
      > > making applications run in a browser.  Otherwise it's not a very good
      > > language.  I can't think of any good reason to write Vim plugins in
      > > Javascript instead of a decent language, such as Python.
      >
      > I just wanted to add my support to the idea of adding Javascript bindings.
      > I love Vim, and I love Javascript. I would very much like to use it to write
      > Vim scripts. I suspect I am not alone.

      For what it's worth, other editors (notably to my knowledge,
      UltraEdit) use Javascript or a Javascript-based language for their
      scripting.

      Personally, I never use scripting languages other than vimscript for
      controlling Vim, and find it a hassle to install one for the sake of a
      plugin. I haven't found a plugin yet which uses another scripting
      language and I've wanted enough to try installing it. Of course, I
      have installed fewer than a dozen plugins total, so maybe I'm not the
      target audience for such plugins anyway.