Re: Vim 7.3a ready for beta testing

  • David Wilhelm
    Message 1 of 28 , Sep 7, 2010
      Bram Moolenaar <Bram <at> Moolenaar.net> writes:

      > Mikeyao wrote:
      >
      > > Vim support many languages interface and I just found new lua
      > > interface added in 7.3. I think most programmers know javascript and
      > > like it, it's going to mainstream.
      > > Many web developers using vim, they know javascript well.
      >
      > The reason people write Javascript is because it's the only choice for
      > making applications run in a browser. Otherwise it's not a very good
      > language. I can't think of any good reason to write Vim plugins in
      > Javascript instead of a decent language, such as Python.

      I just wanted to add my support to the idea of adding Javascript bindings.
      I love Vim, and I love Javascript. I would very much like to use it to write
      Vim scripts. I suspect I am not alone.

    • Ben Fritz
      Message 2 of 28 , Sep 8, 2010
        On Sep 7, 10:26 pm, David Wilhelm <dewilh...@...> wrote:
        > > The reason people write Javascript is because it's the only choice for
        > > making applications run in a browser.  Otherwise it's not a very good
        > > language.  I can't think of any good reason to write Vim plugins in
        > > Javascript instead of a decent language, such as Python.
        >
        > I just wanted to add my support to the idea of adding Javascript bindings.
        > I love Vim, and I love Javascript. I would very much like to use it to write
        > Vim scripts. I suspect I am not alone.

        For what it's worth, other editors (notably to my knowledge,
        UltraEdit) use Javascript or a Javascript-based language for their
        scripting.

        Personally, I never use scripting languages other than vimscript for
        controlling Vim, and find it a hassle to install one for the sake of a
        plugin. I haven't found a plugin yet which uses another scripting
        language and I've wanted enough to try installing it. Of course, I
        have installed fewer than a dozen plugins total, so maybe I'm not the
        target audience for such plugins anyway.