RE: [patch] Add tabpage index in tabline

  • John Beckett
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 6, 2010
      Nicholas wrote:
      > I am used to work with tab pages in vim in console mode. One
      > of the most commonly used actions is to jump from one tab
      > page to another.
      > There are several ways:
      > 1) using ":tabnext" or ":tabprevious" command repeatedly
      > until target tab page is arrived.
      > 2) count the target tab page's index, then use ":tabnext n"
      > to get to it.

      Type 12gt to go to tab number 12.

      > Here is the diff file for src/screen.c for latest vim 7.3
      > release.

      I rarely use tabs in console Vim, but I think you can customise
      tab labels even when non-GUI, to show the tab number.

      Have a look at the following (mainly the comments):
      http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Show_tab_number_in_your_tab_line

      John

    • Nicholas
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 6, 2010
        Thank you for your advice. I tried the scripts in comments and found
        it not work as expected.
        Using the scripts in comments, when tab pages go too many, the first
        tab pages would not be in sight. When navigating from one tab page to
        another, the tabline is fixed. Besides, the coloring of tabline is
        very confusing(this can be changed, of course). It seems more work has
        to be done to make that scripts work properly.

        On Sep 6, 3:53 pm, "John Beckett" <johnb.beck...@...> wrote:
        > Nicholas wrote:
        > > I am used to work with tab pages in vim in console mode. One
        > > of the most commonly used actions is to jump from one tab
        > > page to another.
        > > There are several ways:
        > > 1) using ":tabnext" or ":tabprevious" command repeatedly
        > > until target tab page is arrived.
        > > 2) count the target tab page's index, then use ":tabnext n"
        > > to get to it.
        >
        > Type 12gt to go to tab number 12.
        >
        > > Here is the diff file for src/screen.c for latest vim 7.3
        > > release.
        >
        > I rarely use tabs in console Vim, but I think you can customise
        > tab labels even when non-GUI, to show the tab number.
        >
        > Have a look at the following (mainly the comments):http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Show_tab_number_in_your_tab_line
        >
        > John

      • Ben Fritz
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 7, 2010
          On Sep 6, 8:39 am, Nicholas <cwh...@...> wrote:
          > Thank you for your advice. I tried the scripts in comments and found
          > it not work as expected.
          > Using the scripts in comments, when tab pages go too many, the first
          > tab pages would not be in sight. When navigating from one tab page to
          > another, the tabline is fixed. Besides, the coloring of tabline is
          > very confusing(this can be changed, of course). It seems more work has
          > to be done to make that scripts work properly.

          Please feel free! The guitabline version does work, I use it myself,
          but am considering switching to a textual tabline for some additional
          features...sometime.

          Regardless, I think the main point of John's message is: there is no
          need to patch the source code, there's already an option that lets you
          do exactly what you want without recompiling Vim.