Re: thoughts on grep/quickfix grep/location list interaction, doc patch

  • Marc Weber
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 2, 2010
      Y usually copy the results of the quickfix window into a new buffer and
      then use :g or :v or or the like to keep the lines I'm interested in (I
      mapped this "filter lines") so its very fast for me.

      For huge projects I don't use grep - I use gnu id utils for speed
      reasons.

      Writing additional filters can be done easily. See setqflist() and
      getqflist()

      Of course those are no fixes - they are workarounds I can work with.

      Have a look at gnu id utils.

      Marc Weber

    • Britton Kerin
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 3, 2010
        On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 11:39 PM, Gary Johnson <garyjohn@...> wrote:
> [...]
        >> of quickfix.txt.  It can take years to find them otherwise.  I've attached
        >> a patch which does this and also includes a command example.  I think
        >> its worth including, because for me (and apparently some others at least)
        >> the default :grep (and :lgrep and :helpgrep) behavior is somewhere between
        >> painful and unusable.  In the past I've usually just ended up using the shell.
        >>
        >> Also, :grep! is usually more useful than :grep.  Jumping to the first error
        >> usually makes sense when compiling but usually doesn't when grep'ing.  One does
        >> in theory get led to a description of the !-form functionality when reading
        >> the :grep documentation, so I'm not sure the docs can be regarded as needing
        >> fixing.  But :grep! does make things behave better and odds are many people
        >> don't find out about it.  The attached patch helps with this issue as well.
        >>
        >> There are two other problems I have with the way grep works in vim (and most
        >> other editors for that matter):
        >>
        >>  * Its not easy to filter the grep results.  When a user needs to grep it
        >>    usually means:
        >>
        >>       a. the project is biggish
        >>
        >>       b. they have little idea where the occurences they are interested
        >>          in are located, and
        >>
        >>       c. there are likely multiple file types involved.
        >>
        >>    This means that much of the output of the grep is going to be
        >>    uninteresting.  One can go back and change the file list, but its usually
        >>    a hassle to get the list just right.  This is enough of a trouble for
        >>    me that I often end up going to the terminal and tacking on a bunch of
        >>    '| grep -v "junk_pattern"' things until I get what I want.
        >>
        >>  * Support for context is poor.  A single line is often not enough,
        >>    but putting '-C 1'  in 'grepprg' makes :cn ~200% slower.
        >>
        >> I have a module that fixes these issues for me though its pretty messy
        >> and fragile as it depends on slicing up, saving, :cgetfile'ing, reparsing,
        >> and re-presenting the error file.
        >>
        >> I just mention them because they are issues I'd love to see vim address
        >> properly someday.
        >
        > Just to present the other side of some of your issues:
        >
        > 1.  I never use :grep!.  When I :grep for something, I want to see
        >    all occurrences of it in the context of the files in which it is
        >    found, so I want to immediately jump to the first match.  I
        >    often start :grep as
        >
        >        :new | grep ...
        >
        >    so that the matching files are opened in a new window.
        >
        > 2.  I agree that the default commands for traversing the quickfix
        >    list can be painful.  I have ^N and ^P mapped to :cn and :cp
        >    respectively so that jumping from one match to the next is a
        >    breeze.
        >
        > 3.  If the output of a :grep command contains too many undesired
        >    hits, use a better pattern or use the --include and --exclude
        >    options to grep to limit the files searched.  If you find a lot
        >    of hits in one file that you know aren't going to be
        >    interesting, use :cnf to skip that file.

        I missed this :cnf command, thanks for pointing it out.

        > 4.  A little context for the matches would be nice, but again,
        >    traversing the quickfix list with the ^N and ^P mappings is
        >    fast and provides a full screen of context.
        >
        > Vim's :grep facility is not perfect, but I don't think it's as bad
        > as you say, either.

        Maybe I was a little harsh. I've always found vim's grep interface
        *almost* good enough that I wanted to use it.

        Britton

      • Britton Kerin
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 3, 2010
          On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 5:30 AM, Marc Weber <marco-oweber@...> wrote:
          > Y usually copy the results of the quickfix window into a new buffer and
          > then use :g or :v or or the like to keep the lines I'm interested in (I
          > mapped this "filter lines") so its very fast for me.
          >
          > For huge projects I don't use grep - I use gnu id utils for speed
          > reasons.

          Me too, but apart from the speed win and the not indexing a lot of file
          types issue it works like grep.

          > Writing additional filters can be done easily. See setqflist() and
          > getqflist()

          Hmm, I wonder how these are to use from the embedder perl interpreter :)

          Britton